Death Race 2000 remake

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Apr 23, 2007.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

From Bloody-Disgusting:

Jason Statham is in talks to topline "Death Race," a remake of Roger Corman's cult classic being made by Universal Pictures. Paul W.S. Anderson is writing the script and directing the futuristic actioner, which is being produced by Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner via their C/W Prods. as well as Anderson and his Impact Pictures partner Jeremy Bolt, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Released in 1975 as "Death Race 2000" and starring David Carradine and Sylvester Stallone, the movie told of a dystopian future America in which the president presides over an ultraviolent road race from New York to Los Angeles. One of the ways that drivers score points is by mowing down innocent bystanders using their heavily armed cars.

"Race" originally was set up at Paramount as a Cruise vehicle. The project was among those put into turnaround after the Sumner Redstone-Cruise imbroglio. Sources said that when it heard "Race" was free, Universal, spearheaded by David Linde, moved quickly to secure it.

Roger Corman is exec producing. Scott Bernstein is overseeing for Universal.

A late summer/early fall start is being eyed.

Anderson, repped by UTA and Ken Kamins, has made his name making movies in the sci-fi mold. He most recently directed "AVP: Alien vs. Predator" and counts "Resident Evil" and "Soldier" among his credits. Impact is producing the upcoming adaptation of "Castlevania" for Rogue/Crystal Sky.

Statham, repped by CAA, most recently starred in the action movie "Crank."

2. Criswell

Criswell New Member

The original is very badly and cheaply made, but quite political. But still enjoyable.

This one probably could so with a decent re-make. But not with Jason.

3. geeare

geeare Guest

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

I don't want this.

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Personally I'm not sure that Jason Statham would be the best lead for this film, but it's a major sigh of relief that Tom Cruise will no longer be starring in this!

5. 3invertednines

3invertednines New Member

Same here. I don't think this movie will work if it has a big budget.

6. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

This movie will never work for three reasons:

1. Paul
    2. W.S.
    3. Anderson

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Update from Bloody-Disgusting:

Paul W.S. Anderson's Deathrace 3000 is heating up as offers are being made to Glenn Close to play the part of the warden (Joan Allen is next), according to a scooper over at Latino Review. In addition, Lawrence Fishburne is up for the coach & Djimon Hounsou is up for the main rival role which was once played by Sylvester Stallone. Jason Statham was reported as in talks by the same website a few weeks back, which was confirmed by the trades. These rumors sounds pretty solid. The film is a remake, which was a no-holds-barred, ultraviolent car race, set in 2020.

8. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Maybe if they had secured Gary Coleman and Corey Feldman in the two main roles... Maybe then I would watch it. Otherwise, no thanks.

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I'd watch that! :lol:

10. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

Jesus that paragraph just got worse and worse as I read on.

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Sorry to be the messenger here. I happen to love the original film and can't find anything appealing in this developing remake thus far.

Will there even be a Frankenstein or Machine Gun Joe character in this remake? My guess is unlikely.

12. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I love the original and I'm looking forward to this one. I really like Jason Statham and maybe he might not be the best guy for the main role if they follow the original exactly, he could be great if they do something else with the story.

As long as it gets an R rating then this could be all lovely and violent and stuff.

13. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Yeah, that sums it up. Thanks mas!:)

14. This should be released R to theatres and be Uncut on dvd. If done right, this will seriously rock!!

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I can see Jason Statham playing Frankenstien, no prob. The rest of the names tossed about though are not good news, including Anderson.

For some reason I'm not hating the idea of a Deathrace 3000, it's just another race in my eyes.

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Bloody-Disgusting:

Director Paul W.S. Anderson revealed to MTV that the 28-year-old Transformers and 2 Fast 2 Furious star Tyrese Gibson is set to take to the road once more — this time behind the wheel — as a contestant in his Death Race 3000, an update of the 1975 classic starring David Carradine and Sylvester Stallone. Tyrese joins previously confirmed cast member Jason Statham — two tough dudes about to get their clock cleaned by the most unlikely of opponents, Anderson announced … Joan Allen. “She kicks the most ass out of everybody,” Anderson smiled, revealing for the first time that the three-time Oscar nominee will join the cast as well. The film, a “faithful remake,” said Anderson, follows a group of contestants on a cross-country race who score points for running down pedestrians. It is set for release in 2008.

17. Ash

Ash New Member

stop with all these re-makes already.

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Bloody-Disgusting:

Empire Online chatted with Ian McShane, Star of Universal's remake of Death Race, about where the film takes place, "This is even more violent," said McShane. "This is set in the future, it's like NASCAR to the death inside prison. On TV. And I play the guy who runs the race, coaches the racers, from inside prison. It's a lot of fun." Directed by Paul W.S. Anderson (ugh), the film stars Jason Staham, Tyrese Gibson, Joan Allen and John Fallon.

19. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Ok. Now I'm confused. Is it a cross-country race or does it take place in a prison? I liked in the original where all the racers were more like celebrities than cons and were racing across the country, running over anyone they could get. If it's cons inside a prison, maybe running over other cons then that's kinda lame.

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Apologies for the confusion, but I'm just the messenger. :)

These conflicting news updates both from the same source, Bloody-Disgusting, have me puzzled too.

Con versus con within a prison is a weak concept. Not much to explore there. I love the high stakes New York to Los Angeles race angle of the 1975 film. It was cool how Carradine's character Frankenstein was personal friends with the U.S. president, kind of like the Marvel Comics icon Captain America. And how could you not love the crazed fans who wanted to be run down by their favorite drivers? :lol:

Having a hard time here seeing how these new ideas will amount to a faithful remake? :eek2: