Devil - New M. Night Shyamalan production

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Jul 13, 2010.

1. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

This had the stink of Shyamalan all over it, while the director is the guy that made Quarantine. Tak Fujimoto is the DP and I'm starting to think that those dead-on nearly fourth wall-breaking close-ups in The Silence of the Lambs were his idea and not Demme's I did enjoy parts, but then we get the signature lame "twist", which is not surprising or clever.

There's actually an odd moment where a character is referred to as a "twist", meaning someone who tries to cause confusion and throw people's relationships off by lying behind their backs. I'm not sure if this was self-referential or not.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

My theater definitely experienced something like the collective groan. We were all waiting for SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD to start when the trailer for DEVIL came on. For the first minute or so we were about as interested in the trailer as any audience could be, then Shymalan's name flashed across the screen and several peopled booed. Then a few people start laughing nervously, then the entire theater burst out laughing and booing. I've never seen anything quite like it.

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

*bumps*

4. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

PG-13.... I'll pass.

If there was a Devil on the elevator with me, I think at least a "HOLY FUCKING SHIT THERE'S A GOD DAMN DEVIL IS THIS FUCKING ELEVATOR" would be in order. :lol:

5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

People give Uwe Boll a hard time, but to me Shymalan is the ultimate in crap film making. Shymalan should be put on an small deserted island together with Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer and then drop the nukes on it.

6. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Yeah the bloke has turned out to be a real one hit wonder.

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

For some reason I thought this was directed by Shyamalanadingdong. Instead it's the director of Quarantine and The Poughkeepsie Tapes. Now I actually want to see it.

8. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

One hit?
    Try three... The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, & Signs are all great films.
    Beyond that, yeah... he's fallen flat on his face.

9. killit

killit Active Member

Thought the village was pretty awesome too

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

"Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking devils on this motherfucking elevator!"

The whole premise is dumb because The Devil is hardly going to waste his time being stuck in an elevator to torture half a dozen people. It reminds me of an excellent book Good Omens where a more modern thinking demon relents on how out of step most other demons are who waste their time possessing single people meanwhile he's out causing oil shortages or regional power failures. Sure it was something worth doing 3,000 years ago but in today's world possessions and single event accidents are an impractical way to corrupt as many souls as possible.

So even the plot slug is a fail in my book. But are we ever going to get that Bruce Campbell / Tiffany Amber-Thiessen trapped in an elevator with vampire bats flix? Rodriquez made Machete, let's go back and make that too!

11. Drama Queen Die

Drama Queen Die Banned Mofo

I will take an original idea over a remake any day. Great title "Devil." If it sucks I hope he fills it with nudity at least. Maybe it will end with shamalan flying a plane into the building. Sorry, I couldn't resist being that guy.

12. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Something tells me if you had given it a modicum of effort, or had a shred of integrity, you could have resisted being that guy.

Besides, Shyamalan was born in India, you fuck.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Coming from a man who made The Lady in the Water where a writer's stories save the day, which he then cast as himself, I wouldn't put it past him.

I went back and watched Sixth Sense not too long ago and what I once found mediocre I now find simply bad all around. I'd almost rather not go back to see Unbreakable simply because I last thought of it as a good movie. But Signs put a quick death to any faith I had with him. I thought that was terrible from the outset.

Unless I hear a deluge of excellent reviews I'll be passing on this. I've got a Rifftrax of The Happening to catch up on. :D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I agree 100% all three are really good flicks, IMHO. They also got great reviews. However everything since Signs has been brutally unwatchable, and have all gotten bad reviews.

15. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

His new movie "Last Airbender" seems to be another turd on the list with it´s CGI overload nonsense.

16. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

But he's brown so in America that's OMFG TURRIST territory. :nervous:

17. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

That flick was terrible. Had such potential and then was the let down of the year.

18. meljon

meljon New Member

I liked this movie. I'm mexican-american and was raised catholic so the story really creeped me out. It fits everything I've learned about the devil and the games he loves to play with people. I know it was written earlier that the premise seems dumb because the devil wouldn't waste his time with just a couple people because he wants the whole world. I believe he is trying for the whole world but doing something like this is just fun for him. I guess it's kind of like when poeple take a vacation an go fishing.

19. MacReady

MacReady New Member

I feel your pain, but I wouldnt say the Village was terrible. The ending was a bit low impact, but overall its a pretty good movie.

20. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

OK, terrible is harsh, but that's exactly what made it bad. You sit through a movie where nothing really is happening to begin with and the one kind of ending you think you can bank on to save some face is a farce - lame! Kinda played out like an after school special. But hey, I've seen much much worse :)