Diary Of The Dead

Discussion in 'General' started by Wez4555, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Roo

Roo Member

Agree. I saw it yesterday with my son and I really enjoyed it. Definite pickup when it comes out on DVD. Ahh, to be old and Amish. :D

2. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

That was a awesome kill scene for sure.:banana:

Sean

3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I actually hated the movie. To me it is Romero's worst. The narration was obvious and heavy-handed and the dialog was unbearable. For example after being bitten a guy says "It hurts...bite...it hurts." Romero must've thought that because of the camera POV that the audience would need to be spoon fed everything. This leads to scenes where a character sees an exit sign and says aloud to himself "exit." The main character was also unrealistically assholeish during the entire film. Just like the narration, this characterization to get the themes across was obvious and lazy. The only good scenes were the ending (which unfortunately had terrible voice over over top of it) and the Amish guy scene.

4. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Diary of the Dead is fucking awesome. Plus Romero is a Pittsburgh boy, so we get a lot of references to the area. In Land they talk of Uniontown, which is right up the road from me, but it was even better this time around. Homestead is mentioned and the theater I saw it in was in Homestead. And Pitt campus is right up the road from there. I can't wait to pick this up on DVD.

5. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Did everyone in the theater cheer? :D

Man, I'd love to see this on the big screen, but the chances of a theatrical release here are slim. :(

6. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I didn't really hear any reaction. I'm not sure who the audience consisted of. I was there with three fellow horror/Romero fans, but other than that, I don't know. I know I couldn't stop smiling throughout the movie. By the way, Homestead is a shit hole, but they built a huge plaza of restaurants and whatnot behind the main section of town. I wouldn't be around there for any other reason.

7. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I love the Waterfront, even if its surrounded by a super ghetto. I wanted to go this weekend to see this flick, however I didn't have anyone to go with, and going to the movies by yourself is weak. At least its not the 50 Cent movie where someone got shot at the theater. :lol:

8. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I really didn't know what to expect and after a friend's glowing recommendation maybe I expected too much. Some creative kills and Samuel the mute Amish were awesome but there was also some brutally bad dialogue. I don't know- I'm gonna have to sleep on this one before I can give it a grade.

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Saw this yesterday afternoon with a small audience of about 40 people. Thought it was okay albeit highly flawed. The changing narrative and voice overs were overbearing, all of the characters with perhaps the exception of the professor were too annoying to warrant any sympathy, and the very frequent CGI often times could have been achieved with practical f/x. In all honesty, we thought Land of the Dead was a better film.

Really enjoyed the cameos from the Amish farmer and circus clown. Appreciated the nod to Day of the Dead in the hospital scene and felt Romero effectively created some genuinely tense and suspenseful moments. Despite a few assets, Diary of the Dead is the weakest among Romero's zombie films.

10. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I've only been there a handful of times, but luckily no shots have ever rang out. I would go by myself if I had to. You get to see it in an area that's referenced and it's only at a few theaters around the US. A lot of people will never get to see it in the theater.

11. eaglebauer

eaglebauer New Member

Romero fans

As you know Romero always has ideology if his films. what is it in Diary of the Dead? Is it just based on the media in today's society? I am one of the unlucky states that wont get the theatrical release!:confused:

12. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

it's all about the awesomeness of blogging.

13. In Chicago, Diary is playing at one place so far. I watched it there on Monday. The theater sucked and there was a very small crowd. Sad, honestly. The movie, though, was quite good. It is hard to believe Romero is such an old man, because Diary seems like a much younger person wrote and directed it. It was very in touch with today's generation, at least from my age perspective. The dialogue, for the most part, was good. Some things were played up a bit much, but I think it was to be somewhat comedic. It blew away Land of the Dead. I highly recommend it.

14. dmeister

dmeister New Member

This was by far the worst Romero film I've seen, second only to Bruiser.

Well, at least critics tend to invent an ideology after the fact...

dmeister

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Not playing anywhere in South Florida!! :mad:

16. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

Its a shame that the movie was filmed in Canada. :(

17. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Damn, Bruiser was bad. BAD BAD BAD. Say it ain't so!

18. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I have read a lot of mixed reviews, but with horror films, I always wait and see.

19. boycrieswolf

boycrieswolf Guest

Does anyone here on the forums know of a website that will tell you where this is playing nearest to you? I've tried Movieshowtimes, moviefone, myspace and I cannot find ANY info as to where this is playing (if in fact it's playing anywhere at all...) I know it got a limited release last friday, so I thought maybe it'd go into a wider release this weekend. Concrete info is hard to come by for this film....I'd gladly drive a few hours to see this in a bigger city, but I simply can't find any listings for it anywhere!

20. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    It's playing an art house/indie theatre here in San Francisco. The Lumiere. I'm going this weekend for sure. Week #2, and I'm not gonna miss it.