Diary Of The Dead

Discussion in 'General' started by Wez4555, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

http://www.hollywood.com, select "George A. Romero's Diary of the Dead"

2. boycrieswolf

boycrieswolf Guest

Thanks workshed. Diary isn't playing within 100 miles of where I live. I guess I'll have to wait for dvd. This really sucks, I love seeing Romero's films on the big screen dammnit! I won't be able to drive all the way to SF, not this weekend at least..oh well.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

What? Where? That sounds like the Music Box but it's not on their schedule. Actually looking at it now they're playing Friday the 13th tonight and Nightmare on Elmstreet tomorrow night with Swamp Thing at midnight.

4. It is at the AMC Loews Piper's Alley on 1608 N Wells.

5. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Yeah, but I'm glad he still puts in all the Pittsburgh area references. I remember asking him if he'd be throwing some in for Land and he said he'd see what he could do. I'm glad to see Diary is full of them.

Diary rules!

6. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

I finally got to watch this at my local AMC theatre and enjoyed it. However this is my least favorite of Romero's Dead films mainly because I really didn't care for any of the characters. Heck I don't even remember any of their names right now. I think the problem for me was that I found that the characters weren't fleshed out enough and they had no chemistry between them. Also, the acting wasn't that beliveable. The lead actress was decent enough but when there was a scene that required her to be strong, she fell flat. The Amish guy was great though. There was some fantastic death scenes and gore that had the entire audience verbally cringing. I'm definitely going to see this again next weekend. Maybe a second viewing is what I need. Or third.

7. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Straight to video here for sure. :eek2:

8. BurningMoon

BurningMoon New Member

Does anyone know when or if this is going to be showing in Canada, specifically western Can?

9. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

Might see this tonight. opens in the UK today,

10. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I saw Diary of the Dead yesterday. I would have loved to be able to say that the film is awesome, but unfortunately it is not awesome. It is not good. It is just lame.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Land of the Dead, but at least it was entertaining. Diary is boring. It's "message" is old and worthless, made even worse by the uniformly awful cast. I'm sorry, but those actors were not good at all. The guy playing the professor? Ugh.

I know Romero has said that this wasn't supposed to be "realistic" like Blair Witch Project, that his style is more "theatrical", but it just doesn't work. I can see that there's a reason for everyone being totally blasé about all the horror that surrounds them; I appreciate that it's not just bad writing/acting that makes these characters react somewhat dully when their friends and family members get killed - you know BECAUSE THEY ARE DESENSITIZED BY VIOLENCE IN MEDIA.

Really, George? Is that all you got? Frankly, it doesn't work. And the actors can't carry it off. It just falls flat on its nose. Oliver Stone already hammered the point in quite effectively 15 years ago in NBK.

I won't say it sucked COMPLETELY, but almost. The stuff with the Amish guy was pretty good. And .. well, that's about it. Overall, it was pretty boring. The voice-over was awful and completely devoid of any character. The "I added music to scare you guys" is possibly the worst line uttered in a motion picture this year.

I don't know what else to say. I doubt fans will avoid this film, but at least be prepared to be disappointed. Romero should just give up on this series. It's way past its prime. He's made good non-Dead films and he should do more of those.

11. BrianR1982

BrianR1982 New Member

I've been avoiding these newer dead movies because everything I read/see about them makes it pretty clear that I won't like them. George made a great dead trilogy and I kind of wish he would have just left it at that. I don't want to see him further dilute his legacy.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  12. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Every review I’ve read, good and bad, has mentioned the “Amish guy”. I’m really interested in seeing him in action.

13. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I can't wait to meet George again at the end of the month and tell him how much I enjoyed Diary.

14. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

"Cut!"

This came to Indy... for one week. :) I was lucky enough to catch a showing before it disappeared. Will this be getting a wider release soon? As far as I'm concerned, Romero can't make a bad zombie movie, even if his last one, Land came off as a SCI-FI channel original movie at times. Diary was a very creepy and effective addition to the Dead movies. The 'you are there' approach worked for me big time. It's not a perfect movie, but it had my full attention. Bring on the sequel!

Loved the Day of the Dead gag in the hospital. :D

15. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I watched this, and.. well you know.

Why is Romero making another zombie flick? Is he just devoid of ideas? What was this film supposed to add to the previous three films he's made on the topic? All he had new here was the first person camera stuff, and that's already getting real old. So what was this film for?

Yeah, it's not TERRIBLE. But it just felt pointless and tired. Romero was going through the motions, imo. I suppose I'd watch it again, and to be honest, it's on a par with Land of the Dead (clearly without the budget). But on a par with the worst of the series isn't saying all that much.

What else you got to say on thsi topic, George? If nothing, what's next?

16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It's sad to say, but the most likely reason is that zombie movies are the only thing people are willing to give Romero financial backing for at this point. Certainly from his point of view making yet another zombie film is better than having no work at all.

17. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Yeah, I can see that. And I'm not against him doing more. In fact, I'd love to see more zombie flicks from Romero. But they've got to be better than this.

18. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I really like Diary, but it could have been better if the narration had been exclusive to the beginning of the film only. I smell a fan-edit.

19. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I finally got a chance to catch this last night. I'm a big Romero fan and really enjoyed all of his other zombie flicks. I wish I could say the same for Diary. I was tremendously disappointed.

The move away from adult characters seems like a desperation move to capture a younger audience--kind of odd considering this was a limited release film. And these are the most annoying, badly drawn characters ever in a Romero flick. I didn't care about any of them, which is a fatal flaw that Romero always managed to avoid in the past.

I wouldn't believe this move was made by Romero if it didn't share some common themes with his other films in this series. But where you could choose to ignore the preaching in the other flicks and just run with the story if you wanted, it's so heavy-handed and preachy here that it really detracts from the viewing experience.

I know Land of the Dead has its critics. But I enjoyed it tremendously and thought it was a worthy successor to the earlier films. To me Diary is a huge step in the wrong direction. I'm not interested in seeing any more Romero films if this is the new blueprint.

Just my two cents.

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

From Moviehole.net

Though a “Diary of the Dead 2” is something he’s apparently attached to, and a remake of “The Crazies” is something he’s OK with, horror-master George Romero tells HorrorMovies.CA that he’s not convinced either project is worth doing, yet….

‘’Yeah, I’m definitely attached [Diary of the Dead 2]”, the Zombie-film Vet says. “If the producers want to make the sequel, I will make it. But who knows, I could be written out of it. As far as the project being greenlit, the answer is no. I haven’t gotten a check yet.”

There’s a “Crazies” remake in the works – but the filmmaker doesn’t much care about it.

“Well they’re still talking about remaking [it]. I don’t know if it’s going to happen. But look, look at Creepshow 3….dreadful. Day of the Dead 2:Contagium…dreadful. They like remaking them, but they don’t exactly put as much thought into them. Like I said before, I don’t care! (laughs) I’m not getting anything out of it. They’re[remakes] aren’t apart of my life. I don’t particularly care for them.”

I gotta say, I really enjoyed Romero’s “Diary of the Dead” – it was good to see him do something different, even if it was, for better or worse, still a zombie movie – and look forward to a follow-up… should it happen.