Do you have a staple horror film every October?

Discussion in 'General' started by The Joker, Sep 26, 2021.

1. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I know we have the October/Halloween movie watching thread, but I was wondering if anyone has a personal tradition where you watch a certain film or films every October/Halloween season?

I always watch The Changeling (1980)

Gore Lunatic and Katatonia like this.
  2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

It ain't Halloween for me until I've watched Ernest Scared Stupid, which I always watch on the 31st.

Gore Lunatic, Katatonia and The Joker like this.
  3. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I always watch HALLOWEEN III Season of the Witch. Also TERROR TRAIN and HELL NIGHT since they involve costume dress and parties which is
    Halloween-like.

4. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Active Member

Oddly enough while it isn't one my favorite movies overall, I always watch House of 1000 Corpses each Halloween. I love the atmosphere of the first half and find it puts me in the Halloween mood. From there I have many other movies I like way better (Halloween, The Omen, Children of the Corn, Hell Night, House of the Devil, etc) but House of 1000 Corpses perennially makes my watch list.

Gore Lunatic and The Joker like this.
  5. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Well-Known Member

I have a checklist of movies to watch in October... and it's a long list. I only watch the Halloween series in October, so right there are 11 movies (and counting).

6. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I've watched the original Halloween every 31st since my childhood.

Idle Hands is another I watch every year within a day or two of Halloween if not ON the 31st

Halloween 3 is a newer staple for me

And since I met my wife 8 years ago, Halloweentown and Hocus Pocus get done every October.

I also try and catch at least one classic on the big screen every year. Evil Dead is playing one night only on Oct 7th (Thurs). Shaun of the Dead and Scream are playing at the Alamo Draft House.....gonna try for both.

7. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

The movie I watch on Halloween most consistently is Disney’s The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, since re-discovering it 12 or so years ago I think I’ve done it every Halloween since. Another that often gets watched on Halloween is The Midnight Hour; The WNUF Halloween Special is rapidly becoming a staple too. Every October I probably watch a lot of the same movies since I stick mainly to favorites and movies set on or around Halloween.

It’s the opposite of what was asked but another October thing I do is try to buy and watch at least one black & white movie I’ve never seen before. So far for this year I’ve got Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Curse of the Cat People, and House of Wax.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Surprisingly no.

I used to watch Blair Witch Project every Halloween, but haven't in a couple of years. In fact, it's been a while so I'll probably get in a viewing some time in October.

It's surprising because there's other days of the year I always watch a certain film. Christmas Eve is Black Christmas, and Christmas day is always a Tarantino movie, although I change up the particular movie every year. New Year's Day I watch the 80s comedy Losin' It, no idea why, it's just something I do. 4th of July I try to get in Sleepaway Camp and The Warriors.

9. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

I catch the first Halloween movie on Halloween every year.

~Rocker10

10. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I usually save Bride for Frankenstein, and some other spooky old Universal classic for Halloween.

11. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

No for me, I just see where the mood takes me at the time.

Gore Lunatic, Katatonia, Mok and 2 others like this.
  12. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I try and change things up every year, but there are some I just have to watch each year or it just doesn't feel right.

An American Werewolf in London

Return of the Living Dead

Halloween (78)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (74)

Psycho (60)

Waxwork

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Night of the Demons (1988)

Night of the Creeps

Monster Squad

Fright Night (85)

Trick r' Treat

The Blair Witch Project

WNUF Halloween Special

Gore Lunatic, Katatonia, Mok and 2 others like this.
  13. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

No for me. I do the Scarecrow Video challenge because it helps me whittle down my unwatched pile. So the majority of things I watch during the month are first timers.

Gore Lunatic likes this.
  14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I used to have Halloween horror movies that I would watch annually every October, but there are so many set during the season and October is too short of a month that most have since become every-other-year.

The only movie I watch annually without fail still is Black Christmas in December.

Gore Lunatic likes this.
  15. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I do tend to mix up my Halloweens quite a bit. But the one film that gets played every year, even if it's just in the background while people are over, is "Kill Baby Kill". With the colored lights, dense gothic atmosphere, cool witches, and creepy kid, this is just an awesome smorgasbord of Halloween goodness.

Gore Lunatic and Mok like this.
  16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The first film I'll watch is Vampira hosting The Thirteenth Guest because it's the only fully whole performance we have of her hosting and has commercials made by Ed Wood. I like to do it at midnight Sep 30/Oct 1. It feels appropriate somehow. I first did it shortly before she died and I've kept it up since.

I don't have much solid after that until the last week of October. Somethings new. Somethings old. Occasionally a theme month. I use to watch The Evil Dead on Halloween but I go for the REALLY old stuff by Halloween now. I mostly look up horror films with anniversaries this year mixed with films from celebrities that have died this year. I feel it's a big point of the season to remember the dead after all.

10/20 is Bela Lugosi's birthday so I try to watch something he's got a major part in that I haven't seen for awhile. All else fails I'll watch something he's just plain great in like Son of Frankenstein or The Black Cat. Since I watch the Lugosi Dracula on Halloween I like to play this as a wild card.

The last Friday of the month is "Frankenstein Friday" so I try to watch a Frankenstein themed film along with Edison's Frankenstein (1910). Since I watch the Karloff Frankenstein on Halloween I like to play this as a wild card.

The last set of days I'll watch in reverse chronological order the first films from each of the Universal Monsters. So Creature From the Black Lagoon > The Phantom of the Opera '43 > The Wolf Man > The Invisible Man > The Mummy. I'll try to squeeze in the 1925 The Phantom of the Opera if I can but it usually gets skipped over. So does the Claude Rains one if things get tight the last week.

I usually watch Svengoolie Saturday mornings which are reruns but the last Saturday of October I'll watch the night broadcast with his new Halloween message.

On Halloween during trick 'r treat hours I'll watch Disney's Halloween Treat / Halloween is Grinch Night > MST3K Manos: The Hands of Fate, or similar. Nothing hard or fast. Sometimes there's a Serena, The Teenage Witch / Munsters / Adams Family marathon and I'll just lazily leave that on. If there's time I'll squeeze in Monsters Crash the Pajama Party before the following main features.

Then when trick 'r treat hours are done I watch Dracula '31 > Frankenstein '31 > Bride of Frankenstein '35. This is surprisingly bittersweet for me year after year. You'd think I'd be a little bored by these, as not only do I watch them every October I see most of them again through Svengoolie (or a similar sequel) or just because I feel like it. Elsa Lanchester's segue in Bride as Mary Shelley always hits that certain spot on Halloween night as we close in on midnight.

Gore Lunatic and ImmortalSlasher like this.
  17. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Halloween 1 and 3. They will never get old.

Gore Lunatic, Katatonia and Natas like this.
  18. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

The Guest
    WNUF
    Houses October Built

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I do always try to watch these around Halloween no matter what, but there's not really a huge list of movies that I just have to watch every Halloween season.

Halloween (1978)
    Halloween III: Season of the Witch
    WNUF Halloween Special
    The Worst Witch (1986)

I did receive the WNUF Halloween Special Blu-ray from VS last week, but haven't had a chance to dig into it yet. Glad to see it on several other lists here though... and here is a review of the new Blu-ray.

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

The actual Day? Not really. I mean not every year..... But the closest I could say. One movie used to be on TV during Halloween night that I would look for.

Halloween with the New Addams Family (1977)

that and from my own collection...

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

Other than those two, basically something horror, sometimes something new during the rest of the month.

Gore Lunatic likes this.