Donald Pleasence's Halloween SNL

Discussion in 'General' started by Egg_Shen, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

So it would seem Donald Pleasence was the guest star on the 1981 Halloween episode of Saturday Night Live. http://tviv.org/Saturday_Night_Live/Donald_Pleasence/Fear As everyone knows this was the year Halloween II was released. I found it surprising and would love to see any footage or photos from the episode. Unfortunately I think they’re only up to season four or so on DVD. So, has anyone here seen the episode? I’m sure it’s been a while but I’d love to hear about any sketches Pleasance did. He was quite funny actually and I’m sure he was excellent in the show. Looks like it was the last appearance for John Belushi too. Big night.

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I don't remember much about the episode. I remember it more for Fear playing, kinda crazy with the audience if I remember right.

3. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Am I the only one who doesn't follow this sentence?

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I saw it live, but mcchrist is right; the episode is more renowned for the performance by Fear. They had an actual mosh pit going, and NBC cut away during the last song as they thought there was a riot happening.

It was after the original Not Ready for Primetime Players....the Eddie Murphy/Joe Piscopo era I believe...

5. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

Fear was a punk band headed by Lee Ving, who had a habit of jumping into the crowd, or basically the crowd rioted and jumped onto the stage at thier concerts! You might know Ving as an actor, playing the heavy in BLACK MOON RISING, TAKING OF BEVERLY HILLS, etc.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  6. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

this was one of the best episodes of SNL! if i remember correctly there was a segment called "THE CLAMS" that was a Hitchcock parody of The Birds directed by "Brian De Palma" (not really, of course). I cannot wait until this season comes on DVD so i can see it again!

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah that sentence makes absolutely no sense.

~Matt

8. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I get it now. My apologies.

9. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

The same Lee Ving who portrayed Mr. Boddy in the 1985 masterpiece, Clue: The Movie?? :eek1:

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Haha Clue: The Movie. Shit I haven't seen that in YEARS. God I loved that movie. :D

~Matt

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

One and the same. Can't you just hear him singing:

My house smells just like the zoo
    it's chock full of shit and puke
    Cockroaches on the walls
    crabs are crawling on my balls
    Oh, but I'm so clean-cut
    I just wanna fuck some slut
    I love livin' in the city

12. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

That sounds great! I'm looking forward to a release as well, but how long must we wait? I wish there was some clips on youtube or something.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

1981 was one of my favorite seasons of SNL.

After the original cast left, they just tried the same formula in 1980, with replacement actors. Gilbert Goddfried, Charles Rocket, Joe Piscopo. Eddie Murphy came in a few episodes in as a "featured player". But except for Murphy and Piscopo, it was horrendous. Charles Rocket said "fuck" on the air, and they just pulled the plug early in the season. Maybe January. The episodes never re-ran.

Then the fall of 1981 came on, with a massive re-tooling. Lorne Michaels was gone, so was Don Pardo. No more "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night!", Weekend Update became "SNL Newsbreak", etc. Hell, the first episode didn't even have a host! But the season picked up steam, and this was where a lot of the classic Eddie Murphy bits (Buckwheat, Gumby, Velvet Jones, James Brown Celebrity Hot Tub) all came from.

People finally realized that the era of Belushi, Ackroyd, Murray, Radner, etc was over, and would never come back. SNL was going to be an evolving show, with different styles as times went on. New actors, new recurring bits would have to be embraced.

This cast got tighter as years went on, some of the dead weight was cut out and replaced with talent like Brad Hall, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Gary Kroeger. Of course, all the discarded SNL staples like Lorne Michaels, "Live from New York..", Weekend Update, all came back.

But the 1981 cast deserves a lot of credit for keeping the show alive.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  14. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I just watched it 3 times all the way through last week. I'm kind of a fan, too.

"If you denounce me to the police, you will also be exposed and humiliated, I'll see to that in court, but if one of you kills Wadsworth now...no one but the 7 of us will ever know. He has the key to the front door, which he said would only be opened over his dead body. I suggest we take him up on that offer. The only way to avoid finding yourselves on the front page is for one of you to kill Wadsworth... now."