Don't Go in the Woods to be released in the UK via 88 Films

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Funktion

Funktion Member

Aren't they?
    Their titles have been quite competent, and in the case of their Full Moon titles, easily superior to the US BDs.
    The 88 Films BD of Bloody Birthday didn't "blow away" the US release because it was already a pretty decent release, but it is marginally superior.

Do you really want to compare something like (NSFW):
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-...rge2/large_bloody_birthday_88_05_blu-ray_.jpg
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-...rge2/large_bloody_birthday_88_04_blu-ray_.jpg

to the example you gave of a good Code Red BD title (Just Before Dawn):
    http://www.mondo-digital.com/justbeforedawn2big.jpg
    http://www.mondo-digital.com/justbeforedawn5big.jpg

Which one is lacking in detail/definition? Which one has natural film grain, and which one has compression artifacts?

As far as BD goes, Code Red is far from an example of a good label.
    I have their first 7 BDs just because other releases are not entirely likely, but if there's a label that makes almost zero effort in providing a good product, without almost any kind of quality control, it's Code Red. Most of their titles have compression problems, which would be easily avoidable if two shits were given about the product they are releasing.
    But since most of these titles aren't getting any other releases, people keep buying them (I'm "guilty" of buying plenty of Code Red titles as well), and they continue working like this.

And for the record, while far from perfect, the Scorpion BD titles I have are easily superior to the Code Red BDs I have.

You want to see what a good genre release looks like? Check any of the Vinegar Syndrome BDs.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  2. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Marginally better, as-in an additional commentary & liner notes from fans who had nothing to do with the film itself? One of whom (Calum Waddel) claimed to be a "banned mofo" on this message board due to disrespect. Praise 88 all you want. Hate Code Red all you want. Ignore the obvious connection Code Red has with Scorpion and the possibility of it actually being one & the same company. You own more Code Red blu's than I do, yet have no respect at all for the company. "Madman" for example, yes it blew...but who actually did the scanning & transfer? I see Code Red as a daring, risk taking sub label...which started solo, then branched off to Scorpion for titles that will actually sell at retailers and Code Red to cover bottom shelf niche. I look forward to the likes of Andy Milligan on Blu-ray. I also trust they'll do a very respectful job.

3. Funktion

Funktion Member

Marginally better, as in the transfer for the UK release has a better bitrate, takes 10%+ file space, and has slightly better compression/detail.

And?
    Mr. Waddel is present in the special features of several Arrow titles as well.
    That doesn't mean I like the guy, or waste any of my time watching any of his features, which are IMO, with no exaggeration, the most annoying to ever grace a home video format (he is always more interested in self-promotion, than he is actually interviewing someone; not to mention the below amateurish shoot and editing quality).

You need to take a chill pill. I'm praising 88? They are a competent label, nothing more, and certainly far from great. This is the first time I ever mentioned the label on any forums, so you can surely bet I'm not praising them to anyone. Like I said, if I wanted to talk quality, I'd tell you to look at Vinegar Syndrome. Besides their own 4k transfers for their HD releases, they worked on some of the better releases from other labels such as Synapse.
    I only mentioned 88 because you spoke of Code Red in the following terms: «Code Red will beat this. In content, release date & transfer quality.».
    I just pointed out that Code Red is, quite frankly, a joke when it comes to quality, so it won't take much for 88, or any other label, to beat a Code Red release.

You said I have no respect for the company. Should I? I'm a buyer, they are a seller, as simple as that. They don't have any respect for their customers (have you read any of the rants from the owner of Code Red, even on their own store page?), I certainly don't have, and don't have to, have any respect for their work, which is mediocre at the very best.

They release some titles, with zero effort, at inflated prices, and in some cases the legality of their releases is highly dubious (how many cease and desist letters have they received by now? how many problems/"mix-ups" where there with other labels regarding the rights to certain titles?).

I'm glad you like their releases. But as you can check from the screenshots I linked to, their releases are certainly not an example to anyone when it comes to HD products.

And by the way, regarding me ignoring «the obvious connection Code Red has with Scorpion and the possibility of it actually being one & the same company», not that I care to know much about the people behind the labels, but you are dearly wrong about me being uninformed.
    If anything, it's you who is uninformed: are you aware that these two labels are owned by two brothers, that worked together on Code Red until one of them left and started Scorpion, with part of the titles that he previously licensed to Code Red?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  4. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I'm just debating funcktion, nothing more. Being a fool and probably feel bad for insulting the guy who used to post here via code red. He was so sensitive to it. Moronic tabloid fun... I don't spend any time studying the backstories of labels and it shows. Hell, I barely have the time to actually watch the discs I have.
    I look forward to the future of vinegar syndrome.

5. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

gunner....walk away, just walk away.

[​IMG]

6. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

*yelling from afar* I love you code red!! We're so lucky to have you!!

7. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Have extras been announced for either release yet: Vinegar Syndrome or 88Films?

I have 88Films pre-ordered, but the Vinegar Syndrome will no doubt be cheaper (you can usually find them for under $15). Just curious which I should go for. They're both only about a month away!

9. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Vinegar Syndrome:

I haven't seen anything for 88 Films, yet, though.

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Okay, 88 Films released their specs...

88Films:
    Vinegar Syndrome:
    I think Vinegar Syndrome wins this one.