Eden Lake (2008)

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

[​IMG]

Saw this today and loved it. It's in the same vain as Ils but this time you know who the kids are from the start. The result is an even better film IMO. I thought it has some great tension and it finds ways to keep it up from start to finish. This and Let the Right One In are so far my two favorite horror films made in 2008.

Looks like it's getting and R1 on January 6th

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_13254.html

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

I saw it over a month ago, and I was going to do a thread on it, but I guess I forgot it, I thought this film was quite chilling and realistically grusome, I didn't leave the cinema with a smile on my face, very lasting errie effect it had on me. Great entertainment.

3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

will pick it up on dvd jan 6th

4. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

This sounds like something that would go over well in this household (I like stuff like this and it's probably my girlfriend's favorite sub-genre), so I'm gonna have to remind myself to give this a rent when it comes out.

5. Tasty Toejam

Tasty Toejam Guest

If The Strangers didn't rely on cheap tricks, like how the villains seem to know where the camera is (so they can run just out of frame to avoid being seen), you'd have Eden Lake. No characters, but the sense of dread is sustained throughout. In Eden Lake's case, the villains are wholly believable as types, if not, actual people. There are plenty of convenient moments, but it never slips into outright boneheadedness, and the ending is really quite apropos.

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I have no idea what this means. How is that a cheap trick?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  7. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I guess he thinks it was a documentary?

Seriously though, that's a pretty bizarre criticism.

8. Tasty Toejam

Tasty Toejam Guest

The villains seem aware of where the camera is, as opposed to the camera observing them. It's a contrivance derived from Halloween and the I-camera, but in this case, the fourth wall is unintentionally broken, as the villains are actually playing to us, instead of worrying about their objective, killing the protagonists. Why would villains go to all that trouble of darting back and forth behind trees and making distracting noises? That means they knew where the protagonists would be looking, which is an omniscience that further breaks the spell of watching a horror film.

9. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Really good film, just did a review for it at my site. I think what works so well about the film is the perfectly executed tension. I never felt bored at all during the cat-and-mouse game being played (like I did with The Strangers), and I found myself on the edge of my seat once the film really got going. I also liked the fact that the film had a bit of social commentary as well, which I always welcome in horror films.

Definitely worth checking out once the DVD hits!

10. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

This was highly recommended to us. We (my gf and I) just hated it when we saw it. Ils was a lot better. Don't mean to rain on everyone's parade here, but this couple could have easily avoided these kids numerous times and just chose not to. The kids were not bright at all, the couple was just that dumb. Survival of the fittest.

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

That's fine but ultimately we are the ones that the director is trying to frighten not the protagonists. If they are frightened but we aren't doesn't that defeat the purpose?

12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

walmart and best buy is getting here next tuesday i will pick it up along with midnight movie if i can find that one also i am surprised there isn't a unrated/uncut release as most dimension extreme titles has

13. gore

gore Guest

I'm with most on this, great movie. Pretty refreshing in the newer horror releases. Highly recommended.

14. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

This one is definitely one of my favorites of 2008, genuinely tense and disturbing. The ending is really one that wont be forgotten soon after watching. The director of this gem is also a writer on Descent 2, which gives me some more hope for that title as well...

15. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I just read about Eden Lake in the latest issue of Fangoria. I WILL be picking this up. It looks and sounds outstanding.

16. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

aoiookami LEGEND
    Agreed

When I first saw the film, I thought this one was gonna please most horror fans on horrordvds site, so it's cool to see alot enjoyed it. If I may be bold, it felt very real, a British errie dark quality to it, relentless to the end, and you just don't get many films like this, definately one of the best of 2008.

17. Vincent Pina

Vincent Pina New Member

Has the Blu-Ray been pulled? It's only listed on a couple of sites, DVDPlanet being one of them, and they just sent me an email saying it was discontinued.

18. VincentPrice

VincentPrice New Member

Just finished it and dug it quite a bit, reminded me a lot of Ils which isn't a bad thing since I loved that as well.

19. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I really liked this one. Very suspensful film in the Straw Dogs/Deliverance vein.

20. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

I'm surprised this movie isn't getting more buzz here on the forums. I remember when INSIDE came out last year and everyone was talking about it. Eden Lake is just as unsettling and shocking as that and definitely deserves to be seen.