Evil Dead 4 confirmed (+ remake)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Feb 4, 2005.

1. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Which I had known that Best Buy had an exclusive 25 minute documentary of Bruce Campbell. Oh well. I already preordered it on July 2nd through Target, because they had an exclusive steel case, and had it shipped UPS 2nd day Air, and it will be delivered today. Just checked tracking, and it left the Lenexa, KS location at 4:30 this morning, Central Time. Can't wait.

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

The BBFC still only has the 'theatrical cut' noted, so it seems the first release with be theatrical only, but as they have noted it as the 'theatrical cut' suggests the uncut version will be put up for certification at some point, when however is anybody's guess.

3. evildeadfan123

If and when the Uncut version comes out, I will be double dipping.

4. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Some info on the next one:
    http://www.totalfilm.com/news/fede-alvarez-talks-evil-dead-sequel

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

Was with Alvarez until he brought up the SAW sequels. Not even the eighties sequels he pedestals have the kind of insular complexity that the SAW sequels do. Many recurring characters, an incredibly tangled and backward-looking plot, if anything SAWs 4-7 are the antithesis of the current movement of these "same concept" sequels. And his argument that it's just "a new bunch of characters" is itself ignoring the central conceit of horror films - your cast generally dies. Look at the turnover in the Friday and Elm Street sequels or his own movie...not too many emerging alive.

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

wait a minute, isn't that exactly what he just did with the remake?

7. deepred

deepred Member

Insidious 2 is also returning with the same cast and is a continuation of the story. I'm sure there are others but I haven't really been keeping up with the Hollywood horror films as of late. If he is so concerned, do what the '80s did and give a brief recap to please the "studios". Although, who goes to see a sequel without seeing the original? I'm sure some do but surely not the majority. Also, outside of the horror genre, do studios worry about people understanding the sequels to other films? Do people walk out of Legally Blonde 2 or Terminator 4 or Iron Man 3 - scratching their heads?

After part 1 though, I really have no interest in his part 2.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  8. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

So does anyone know what was actually cut out of the movie to get the R rating? I did a quick look through this thread but didn't see anything and haven't found anything via google search except an alternate ending. I think I will pick up the steelbook from target and if an unrated cut comes out and sounds like it adds much to the movie I might double dip.

9. evildeadfan123

There's a different article on bruce-campbell.com, with Fede Alvarez, that also talks about the Evil Dead 2 sequel, and it mentions more than this article above about the sequel.

10. othervoice1

I stopped by Target today and picked up my steelbook - they only had two in the store I went to- the rest were the normal packaging.

11. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

My feelings towards director Fede Alvarez have changed somewhat i think he is a bit of a knob to be honest, check out the below from 'movie-censorship.com' he is now stating that the R rated edition is his directors cut, did he forget the things he said before, or has he been made to say this stuff by sony/Raimi, anyway, read below and make your own decisions.

12. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Why does that him a "knob?" He sounds cool to me--plus, it has Raimi's approval. "Unrated" cuts get far too much love for simply offering something other than what we've already seen. Doesn't make them better.

I liked the theatrical cut a lot. It had plenty of gore and moved along at a well-paced clip.

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I second that notion. I didn't care for the Evil Dead remake at all, but I do miss the days when the term "extended cut" or "director's cut" actually meant something, as opposed to just being a prerequisite for any and every horror film.

14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

he is talking bollocks that's why I think he is a knob, he notes, 'The cut I showed him (Raimi) was the cut I put out there. So what everybody saw in the theaters is the director’s cut, and this first DVD is the director’s cut', no it is not Alvarez showed Raimi a cut before it went to the MPAA as Raimi himself stated in interviews before the film was put to the MPAA that he had seen it, and noted it was extreme and it could be a possible R or N17, so don't try and make out now that the R was the one you showed everyone and that's the one everyone wanted released because it's bollocks, I know they are trying to sell movies, and I'm sure uncut or cut in this case does not make any real difference, but at least be truthful.

15. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I say, "To the pit with those bloodthirsty sons of whores!"

16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Since when does Director's Cut mean anything more than, well, the cut that is what the director prefers? He isn't saying that the R rated cut is uncut. It's just his preferred cut...and he's the director. Hence the name.

17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I think he's just saying that because there's no uncut version coming. I think a lot of us still want to see the uncut version no matter what the director is saying now.

18. othervoice1

I just find it weird they didn't release this with both the theatrical and uncut versions - I would think the director would be be excited to get the uncut version out as well- but I did enjoy the theatrical cut so I am not really upset or anything. I just wonder if they are going to pull a Lord of the Rings on us and release an uncut version later (especially since the cut scenes are not even in the special features??)

19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I still waiting on the same thing to happen for the NOES remake and The Thing.

It's also weird that a film like Curse of Chucky is coming straight to dvd/blu with both an unrated and R cut (why were cuts made if it's not going to theaters?) but the Evil Dead which we were promised we would see uncut on dvd/blu just gets a theatrical print.

20. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I'd love to see an extended cut of the ANOES remake.

Universal does unrated/rated cuts with a lot of their DTV films. It doesn't make sense to me but oh well.