Exorcist 3 Blu!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Angelman, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Outstanding!!!

3. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

Nice of them to announce it early i thought they would have waited until comic con in a few weeks.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Yet another craptacular collector's cover, and with a spoiler to boot. At least it's reversible.

othervoice1, Zombie Dude and Angelman like this.
  5. Angelman

I already reversed it in my mind.

Zombie Dude and maybrick like this.
  6. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Let's hope the Blatty cut can be somewhat-faithfully re-constructed. The language they chose and their talk of "caveats" makes me nervous.

I'm a huge fan of this film, and I've always longed to see the original cut. Fingers crossed...

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Never been a huge fan but I like it enough.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I'm sure it will have to be cobbled together from various sources, but at this point...I'm fine with it. Just let me check it out!

9. shape22

Agree! I'm not so much worried about the quality of the discarded scenes. I just hope the vast majority of the missing stuff still exists. The press release is unclear about that.

At least we know everything possible is finally being done. I was starting to think we'd never see this project come to fruition.

Myron Breck and buck135 like this.
  10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I've tried several times to like this movie. Every 5 or 6 years I watch it again, thinking "everybody likes this...I must have been wrong..." and each time I find it to be a crushing bore. I even read the book once, before watching it...well, at least it was better than the book. Boy, was that ever a piece of preachy shit. But that was about 6 or 7 years ago. Looks like it's time for me to try again. I'm certainly looking forward to the supplements, anyhow, even if the movie once again fails to impress. I'd love to see a special edition of Exorcist II: The Heretic too, for more or less the same reasons.

11. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Exorcist II is one of the most batshit WTF inducing films of all time and I...just...can't...hate...it. Plus Linda Blair....

12. shape22

It's a lot harder to explain why bad movies fail than to pinpoint why others work. If I had to cite one truly exceptional element of Exorcist III, it's atmosphere. Being desensitized for so long, there are very few movies that make me apprehensive. But, from the opening frames, Exorcist III establishes an atmosphere of palpable dread. You can FEEL the presence of evil. It's a masterful synthesis of visuals, score, and sound effects. The first few minutes of EIII are supremely unsettling, and it builds from there. The confessional scene is a hoary conceit, but it works brilliantly in this movie because there's sufficient build-up. And the murder scenes are genuinely disturbing (and not just the justifiably famous scene that's spoiled in that terrible new artwork). The stormy post-mortem crime scene discussion in the hospital is a great example of how deftly this flick squeezes every drop of scary ambience out of the material.

The studio-imposed Father Morning subplot derails a lot of that atmosphere, which is why I've been anxiously awaiting the restoration of the original cut. Throw out that goofiness and this might be a legitimate classic. George C. Scott and Ed Flanders do amazing work--and Dourif and Jason Miller pull off scenes that could easily be laughable (admittedly, they start to border on parody due to all the Father Morning goofiness). In its present state, it's nowhere near as GOOD as the original. But I get a lot more enjoyment out of Exorcist III.

13. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'll add an additional couple of pennies to this. There are a number of reasons why this film is a favorite for me. The above mentioned atmosphere, the richness of the characters and their monologues, the interesting camera angles. But the two main things that really keep this film up there for me are the sound design and Blatty's unique editing style. Blatty pulls a number of interesting tricks that I don't see a lot of other filmmakers use, despite how effective I think they were in EIII. For one, he rarely starts a scene with an establishing shot. Instead he starts with a bunch of close-ups. It creates a disorienting effect as the viewer is never quite sure of where a scene is taking place. But, at the same time, those close-ups are usually giving us a lot of information about the characters that are going to be important in the scene. I still think this was a marvelous approach and it's probably the main element that keeps me going back to the film.

MorallySound likes this.
  14. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%! I find it more unsettling than the original to be honest (gasp!)

15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I remember liking it first time I saw it as a teen and thought it was one of the scariest films I'd seen (mostly due to the sheers scene). I've seen it once more after that and found it incredibly boring that time. I'll give it another shot and I'm curious to see the new cut but if I don't like it this time I'm not sure I will.

16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

So interesting to see the divide on this one, and all the more reason for us all to be excited about this Special Edition! I'm a huge fan and I'll always have the original cut to fall back on, but I just hope that some of you who don't care for it might find more to like this time.

17. Angelman

I find this surprising, I really loved the book. The film is a mixed bag but overall it is so strong in mood and intention that I find it very watchable.

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

My issue with the book was, as I said, it's preachy tone. I love the original novel. But Blatty's dissatisfaction with Friedkin's film obviously led him to write a book which acted more as a venue through which he could proselytize than anything else. The story was moderately interesting, if I remember (honestly, now that i think about it, it's been more like 12 or 13 years since i read it, not 6 or 7). But every so often he would force Kinderman to go off on a tangent completely unrelated to the story to opine for page after page about the "undeniable" reality of God and Christ and all that bullshit. It was so obviously crowbared into the story, it became offensive. He really allowed his own personal issues to destroy what could have been a serviceable book. So like I said, I prefer the film. Even though I don't actually like the film. But I'm willing to give it yet another shot. Even if I still don't like it, I'm sure the supplements will be interesting.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  19. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I wish Blatty had more of a directing career. Even if Ninth Configuration and Exorcist III aren't complete successes, they showed an original mind and unique approach to genre films.

20. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Yes!!!!! Best new I've heard all day. Just got back from vacation and arrived to hear this news. FINALLY!!