F13 hits blu-ray - Feb 3, 2009

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by rxfiend, Nov 3, 2008.

1. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I'll be first in line for that box set!!
    And, I finally got around to viewing the UK blu-rays of pt 2 & 3!! The menus are identical to the US dvds. Every single supplement plays perfectly on my region A locked Sony player (even the one standard def "Jason Forever" supplement on pt 2's) Both transfers kick the US dvds asses!! Pt. 2 is breathtaking, on the level of pt 1's but without the framing controversy. Pt.3 looks stunning as well. Not as consistent, sometimes grainy and it does take on a metallic hue here and there, but all problems look organic, filmy...and still very noticeably more detailed with a full "window effect" still happening. I love them both. I also popped in the new 2 & 3 dvds after checking out the blu-rays. They both looked hideous...that's a good thing.
    My only gripe is the fat, thick-as-a-dvd cases Paramount is using in the UK. Why? But beyond the fatter cases and a strange forced "language selection" screen in the beginning, you'd swear they were both American releases. Hell, why aren't they?

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Cool gunner! I'll also get the Blu-ray box set...whenever it's eventually released, and I'm not fully trusting of rumors. :evil: I got through watching all of the extras on the Part 2 & 3 Blu-rays last night, great stuff and 1080p!

I don't know why many UK Blu-rays come released in the thicker "HD Keep Cases". I have several other UK Blu-rays from other studios that also came packaged that way. The only one that came in a standard "HD Slim" like domestic Blu-rays, was The Boys from Brazil Blu-ray.

3. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

All our Blu-Ray cases are Fat over here, I don't know why :confused:

4. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I guess the chubbier UK cases are growing on me, I had never heard about these before.
    I haven't watched pt.2's extras yet, since I already saw them all on the US dvd. But I did check out all of pt. 3's. My favorite has got to be the story of Jason's mask segment. I never knew pt. 3's mask was molded clear and painted white from the inside and the accents were cut from red acetate and glued on. Now that I know, it's as plain as day to be able to tell on the new 1080p transfer. I've always been obsessed with pt.3's mask and have wanted to get a nice replica for my collection for years. But I was never turned on by any of the replicas I'd seen, they just "weren't right". Now I know why. Anyone know of someone making them the correct way?

5. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

So, Inspired by the UK blu-ray of Friday the 13th pt. 3, I finally took the plunge and bought a replica of Jason's mask to display. It looks great, I love the high gloss finish, and the weave pattern on the elastic straps & metal buckles are screen accurate. It's quite impressive, the best replica I've personally seen, the artist "Warlock" autographed the inside. A year ago I would have been totally blown away by this one!! But now that I know "the truth" about how the original mask was made, this one still doesn't cut it 100%. But it's still exciting, had to share!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

That mask looks pretty damn good...but the true test is a picture with you actually wearing it! The mug shots thread was created especially for you.

How much did it set you back? I still use this shitty glow in the dark Jason mask I bought for Halloween a good 15 years ago. It would be nice to get some serious fan hardware like that.

7. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Agreed, it looks pretty damn close even if that's not exactly the way they made the real masks. I'm jealous either way!

8. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

thats awesome. i second for a picture of you wearing it!

9. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Thanks guys! These masks are very easy to find. I would call them more of a simulation than a replica...all scuffs are painted on and clear coated over, which is kinda lame, very obvious...I'm almost tempted to make them into real scuffs. I'd post a pic of me wearing it, but with all the stray hair it makes me look like a mongoloid lol. But it looks great on my shelf, taking the place of a strapless blank that's been sitting there for years. I may buy a strap kit and finally give that blank the best clean "Shelly look" I possibly can. Enough clear coats (and all scuffs on the outside) and I think the effect would be very similar to the original screen used look. I haven't done a project like this since the old vinyl "Screamin" model kits.
    I also wanted to add: I believe pt 3 is the only mask that was molded clear. All the following sequals look to have used the same mold, but used an opaque plastic just like the various ones available online.

10. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Sorry to geek out. But, the mask posted above is gonna be history soon. I should have done more research. I just found a guy only a few states away that not only has an obsession for Friday masks and making them, but he's well aware of the "real methods" of making pt. 3's mask the authentic way. He's been making crystal clear blanks for a little while now. He's gonna make me a genuine replica!!! Soon: Jason mask nirvana!! Can't wait. I'll be sure to post pics.

11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I remember finding the website of the guy who created the mask for Pt. 3. He would sell blank molds of the masks and then there was another website linked on that site which had a guy who you could send the blank mask to and he'd basically make any version of it you wanted, from Part 3 all the way to Freddy Vs. Jason. For some of them they even had multiple stages the mask went through during the course of a certain film. I always wanted to get one, but I figured it'd be an arm and a leg.

12. Horror_Boy

Horror_Boy Member

I to have a Warlock mask created from a Frightstuff blank...Ken Tarello claims to use the original movie mold for the blanks from the 1982 film......

Warlock no longer uses them and there has been some doubt raised about the authenticity of Ken's claims..Personally I don't know or really care I can safely say this is the closest thing I have seen to the actual screen hero mask in Part III. Warlock is amazingly talented... I will make a an attachment of the mask when I figure how this works...

Attached Files:

13. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I'm not sure what site that was, but with the owner's claim of being the original mask maker, most likely frightstuff. They have great artists, and the quality on the masks & hardware is very nice. But I don't believe for a second the owner of that site made the original mask...Nobody knew the original was molded from clear Polyethylene Terephthalate Glycol (or PETG) until Douglas White spoke on an online interview. The blanks offered there also have several differences in shape to the original.
    I was just quoted $120.00 for a finished replica using a clear blank and the original inside-out method of painting. I don't think that's bad for a priceless keepsake!!

14. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Silver Shampain Novelties make replicas from the original molds for ALL the F13th series. FYI for those interested.

15. Horror_Boy

Horror_Boy Member

Well Ken claims he has the original mold that was made in 82... Now the artist re shape some of the masks and some artist don't re shape..Warlock does and he got min as you can see in the pic about as close as I could imagine to the part III mask.

Ken has long claimed this....He was supposed to have worked on the film back in the day and knew Marty Becker...He told me the original mask wore in the film was destroyed out in the sun at Marty's shop..

So if his mold isn't the original I have no idea who has it or if it still even exists..The masks are slightly different in all the films...The same basic mold was used but they were not screen accurate from one film to the next...

I highly doubt Silver Shampain has the original mold.........

16. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Horror_Boy, It's not just the shape, there are other details that are off. The hole placement is different on the original mask, it was also thinner and made of clear plastic. The face holes were flat around the edges as opposed to having a slight funneled effect.
    In pt. 3, the mask looked real and the scuffs were real. I just see the various copies as looking like a decoration. Clear coating over painted-on faux scuffs just doesn't work for Jason's mask.
    Don't get me wrong, your display looks great, I especially like the display head! And Warlock IS a skilled man. BUT I think he'd greatly improve using a clear mask painted from the inside and adding real damage as opposed to painting a simulation. These things imo are far more important than spot-on hole & shape accuracy.
    Still waiting for my clear-based replica...I'll be sure to post pics and opinions (neg or pos) when it arrives. The man who's making it wasn't happy with any of the various molds available, so he sculpted/made his own mold by repeatedly watching pt. 4's opening sequence (one of pt. 3's leftover masks was used for this). All this, and he's cheaper than frightstuff too. Keeping my fingers crossed...in-person this mask SHOULD be much more "for real" in appearance.

Added: If Ken really made the mask, or even helped out Douglas White making it, he would have obviously known the original mysterious building process. His blanks would have been far more accurate and offered in clear PETG from the start. Also, the inside-out paiting method would have been exposed to fans a long time ago. The blu-ray transfer backs this info as fact. Is he claiming to have forgotten the process, or that Douglas White is lying?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  17. Horror_Boy

Horror_Boy Member

I don't know for sure right off hand..But there is a thread there and on some of the other artist's sites that used to work for frightstuff talking about all this crap...

I was told by one of them who is very in the know that he believes it is a part 7 mold Ken is using...I don't know for sure and would like to see your new replica when you get it. And also shoot me a pm with the guy's info or site I might have another made sometime also..

18. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Horror_Boy, I was originally going wait to post the pics of the new inside-out painted mask along with a link to the site where I purchased it from, but things have changed. My mask won't be arriving until next week, and the site owner has decided to call his mask making business quits. He will be taking orders until May 20th firm. You can still get one from him, but your order has to be in before the 20th, he'll be working on filling those previous orders after that date, no new orders, no exceptions.
    And knowing what I know from this guy PLACE AN ORDER NOW!! I supplied him with a stack of red acetate, so the "chevrons" finally look "right" (once you watch the blu-ray transfer, you'll know!). His mold is the best I've seen (from his own personal sculpt), and his style is, well, "Friday the 13th" is the only way to put it. Skilled artist/craftsman working on fast food with a straight face. You don't see that everyday!! He'll be continuing indirectly in the hobby, helping makers make better masks. But he won't be doing any more orders for straps, blanks, finished masks, displays...anything!!

www.jdfstudiosfx.com
    His name is Jeffrey Flynn, the price on a clear-based finished pt 3 mask is $130.00. You'll wait awhile, but you'll love how your bust looks with a far more authentic looking mask, it WILL be worth your wait. I just hope you see this before it's too late.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  19. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Here's some pics of a replica made using the inside-out painting method on a clear blank. It is stunning, no backyard qualities at all to the workmanship. He really knocked himself out making this!! Light shines through the mask with a yellow glow, just like in the film. Every scuff is real damage with bright white showing through in 3rd dimension through the clear mask. Since it's painted from the inside, the interior has the same high gloss white as seen when Jason's mask gets knocked off his face in "The Final Chapter"...not "nippled" like a retro Tupperware container. The accents are cut from red acetate and fixed to the outside surface without any coats applied over (as it should be). I love it!!

With the Friday 3-D blu-ray coming soon to the USA, I expect all the mask makers to get flooded with orders for ones made like this. I'm just sorry JDF decided to back out of the industry. His own hand-made mold is for sale, so maybe someone else will offer these blanks soon. The shape is as film accurate as I've seen!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

That's pretty awesome Gunner. I am jealous!