Film Detective Releasing Ed Wood Films on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by X-human, Mar 28, 2020.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Dawn of the Discs:
    https://www.facebook.com/dawnofthediscs/posts/1109553419387876

Also included is Giant From the Unknown

After their release of Eegah! this is stellar news. I am curious who picked up Plan 9 From Outer Space but passed on the other titles? I know it's his most infamous film and therefore most expensive to license but if Film Detective picked up the slack it's some very odd calculations which lead to that.

But hey, that might just mean it's destined for UHD instead. :D

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I don't see myself upgrading these titles (even if Plan 9 was included). I don't watch them often and, well.....it's Ed Wood. How great does it need to look?

3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I hope it's true, but I'm a pessimist. It is Wade Williams, and the lack of an identifiable source does not instill confidence.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Sometimes Williams has the best materials, sometimes he doesn't. I don't believe his version of Glen or Glenda is the most complete for example. And it's sad to say the films under his thumb will be better served once they pass into someone else's hands. So that either the better materials get back into circulation and help other restorations or a looming threat will lift on those who have better materials but not the legal funds to operate defensively.

I just had a thought with Plan 9 which is that since there has already been a Blu-ray available for some time UHD may be possible and Plan 9 was redirected for that purpose.

Having seen all these movies a few times now I must admit they've grown on me. In fact I don't even consider them the bottom of the barrel anymore. They're entertaining in their own right, creative and more self aware than people give them credit for. After I watched Eegah and enjoyed it immensely I looked at an old review I wrote some ten years ago and it was scathing. I've actually lightened up in my old age!

The more amateur or just quickie independents can be worse in many more ways. The truly bad movies are forgettable and unwatchable. Those are the greater sins. Ed Wood's films can hardly be called forgettable or unwatchable.

5. zbinks

The Other Side Of Madness (1971) (includes BONUS CD) [Blu-ray]

[​IMG]

FRANK HOWARD'S MOVIE ABOUT THE HELTER SKELTER MURDERS RETURNS!

The Other Side of Madness (1971) returns nearly 50 years after its initial release! An avant-garde retelling of the infamous Manson Murders, The Other Side of Madness brings audiences closer to the events than most filmmakers have dared to go, with real life footage of Spahn Ranch and music performed by Charles Manson. Directed by Frank Howard and produced by Wade Williams, this hypnotic film served as one of the first Helter Skelter recreations, filmed so close to the time of the events that Manson and his followers had yet to be sentenced for the vicious crimes.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

• Stunning 4K transfer from the original 35mm camera negative
    • Bonus CD of ''Mechanical Man'' and ''Garbage Dump'' both written and performed by Charles Manson, reproduced exactly from the original 7'' vinyl soundtrack
    • Exclusive documentary ''The Other Side of Manson: An Interview with Producer Wade Williams''
    • Bonus featurette ''Mechanical Man: Wade Williams Meets Manson''
    • 12-page collectors booklet featuring liner notes by award-winning filmmaker Alexander Tuschinski exploring the nuances of the film and its history
    • Original theatrical trailer (Original release)
    • Original theatrical trailer (Helter Skelter Murders)
    • Packaged in a unique and sleek black blu-ray case
    • English and Spanish subtitles
    • Release date : November 10, 2020
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HGPPRRS/?tag=horrdigi-20&linkCode=ur1

Giant From The Unknown (1958) [New 4k Restored Version] [Blu-ray]

[​IMG]

Dr. Frederick Cleveland and his daughter Janet are joined by scientific researcher Wayne Brooks in the pursuit of ancient artifacts from Vargas, a giant 500-year-old Spanish conquistador. When a lightning storm interrupts their search, the team finds much more than artifacts when the long-lost Vargas returns to life, with a murderous rage and an axe to grind! With a shock a minute, Giant from the Unknown (1958) features make-up design from horror mainstay Jack Pierce, known for his work on Frankenstein (1931) and The Mummy (1932). Bonus features include: Audio Commentary with Author/ Historian Tom Weaver and Guests, Audio Commentary with co-star Gary Crutcher, 'YOU'RE A B-MOVIE STAR, CHARLIE BROWN' - An all-new interview actor/screenwriter Gary Crutcher, 'THE MAN WITH A BADGE: BOB STEELE IN THE 1950'S' - An all-new interview with author/film historian C. Courtney Joyner, Still Gallery, All New Trailer

Release date : January 19, 2021

https://www.amazon.com/Giant-from-the-Unknown-Blu-ray/dp/B08KJ66H5B/?tag=horrdigi-20&linkCode=ur1

X-human and russweiss like this.
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Beat me to it zbinks. Official site here: https://www.thefilmdetective.com/madness

And nice add with the horrdigi-20 tags. I was thinking of starting a new thread(s) though since it's not Ed Wood and Other Side of Madness would be a different audience almost entirely.

I'm down for Giant From the Unknown no question. Reportedly Paramount did the restoration so we could have another stand out release on our hands. But as rare and unusual as Other Side of Madness may be it just doesn't seem my jam and frankly Wade rubs me the wrong way so I won't extend myself for it. Unless someone can give me a good reason to check it out it's going to be a soft pass for me.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Now available:
    This was announced a week ago and apparently they still have 100 red cased versions available so I don't think they've got many takers. Not a lot of people are willing to pay a premium for a completely unknown film. :D And if the $65 isn't bad enough they want $13.00 S&H.!

I'm curious what the other disc will be.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  8. zbinks

I'm personally holding out for the official Giant from the Unknown cufflinks and tie-tacks. :p

On a line-item basis, I can sort of see why they're charging what they are. I just can't fathom why they put this package together, in the first place.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yes, it's got Wade Williams stink all over it in that regard. And someone said something that's got me even more skiddish... the extra movie maybe the Manson movie. It fits and the verbiage does not discount something already announced; it's not specified as an unannounced Film Detective title.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

TCM's February 2021 schedule is up and includes Plan 9 from Outer Space on February 1st. It'll be interesting to see the copyright notice as it may be Wade William's. Or not.

Also the mystery title with Giant From The Unknown turns out to be Eegah which is a fitting (if overpriced) package.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

In a move that can best be described as, "Wait, wha?!?!", Rifftrax has released the long out of print 1953 Invaders From Mars: https://www.rifftrax.com/invaders-from-mars

It's surprising to me because Wade Williams is well known now for withholding Rocketship X-M from MST3k since he's cornered those rights. Considering the nostalgic esteem Invaders From Mars has I'm surprised he'd let them riff that for much the same reasons.

Also I caught Plan 9 on TCM; they moved the date and I only saw the last of it where there was no copyright notice at the tail. So I don't know what distributor they used but it was nice and 16:9. Mank had some fun stuff to say about it as I recall... although I can't remember any specifics.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Is that what the holdup is? Damn. Wish he'd unclench his keister on that. Rocketship X-M is a great MST episode, and important as it's the first appearance of Kevin Murphy as Servo.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yep. Williams has allowed a few others he "owns" that were on MST to be riff'ed and released on DVD but he has personal reasons for Rocketship X-M being why he got in the film business after seeing it as a child. Another reason that he gave in an interview seems to be that someone he sells film prints to was especially upset that Rocketship X-M had been on MST. I believe this was an unnamed executive at HP. So I imagine Williams makes more money selling prints and making connections with this guy than Shout can realistically pay him for Rocketship X-M.

It's unfortunate that some movies end up in the clutches of people who just don't want to play ball. As we just talked about with The Devils, the BFi reported it seems to have been marked off as "verboten" by a WB executive decades ago. So, even if that exec is long gone, the current WB leadership has no interest in revisiting that decision. That may be because even if it was overturned the time and investment probably wouldn't amount to a hill of beans financially speaking.