Freaky - Blumhouse Body Swap Slasher (November 13th, 2020)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by CPT HOOK, Sep 10, 2020.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Overall enjoyed it. The beginning was really good but then it just got so silly. I know it's a comedy but the gags have been done in so many other movies. Some of the kills were really well done and this one could easily be left open for a sequel.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I thought they were for a minute there with the ambulance scene, but they closed it pretty definitely.

3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I had a good time with the movie.
    Personally I liked it more than Happy Death Day 2U (which I still enjoyed).

Though I have a hard time believing, that a cute girl like Kathryn Newton, would ever be bullied in school ;)

russweiss and CPT HOOK like this.
  4. russweiss

I found this rather unbelievable as well. There wasn't much difference between her character pre and post Vaughn.

5. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I was also confused by the bullying. Not so much from the bitchy girls, but I would think most high school dudes would be into her, at least attracted to her. I get that Kathryn Newton wore nerdy thrift store clothes, but she was the most attractive female in the movie. Kind of reminded me of The Big Bang Theory where Melissa Rauch is supposed to be this frumpy unattractive nerd, but I always thought she was the best looking one on the show.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this one as well. It might be because I was kinda drunk (which is not something I do very often) but for some reason that Aaron Rodgers part absolutely killed me. I laughed for the entire scene in the parking lot, and then when he puts the mask back on at the dance I completely lost it again.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Walmart stores will have the dvd for 17.96 and bluray DVD combo pack for 22.96 Feb 9th.

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I will chime in and say this one didn't really do it for me. It felt a little too slow to get going and I really wasn't interested in these characters. I really hated that the movie basically had two endings too. Much, much, much prefer Happy Death Day.

There was some time towards the middle once Vince Vaughn was playing the lead girl that I was enjoying myself more, but it kept reminding me how much I wanted to go watch Freaky Friday with Jamie Lee Curtis again instead.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Colin and fceurich39 like this.
  8. booper71

booper71 B-Zone on Roku

I have this for viewing but self aware teens are a put off.

9. CPT HOOK

Best Buy has the blu-ray on sale for $14.99.

10. russweiss

Amazon is also selling the blu-ray at this price.

11. CPT HOOK

^ Get it from Best Buy if you can. Amazon is a price-follower, so support the businesses who are actually giving the deals. Without them, everything on Amazon would be full price.

hots4 and Natas like this.
  12. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I enjoyed this when I saw it in theater. It started off strong, but got sillier as it went along. The R-rating was much appreciated, something the Happy Death Day movies lack.

I'd be down for Vince Vaughn legit playing Jason, if they ever wanted to explore / do more with the character.

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

watched this with our daughter a few nights ago, and we all really enjoyed it. she particularly liked Katheryn Newton in her leather jacket and ponytail, so much so that she designed her outfit for (online) school the next day to look as much like that as possible (she's 8). it was fun, and the mix of mildly scary+funny+girlpower hit the exact right note for my kid. we watched Happy Death Day the next day, which she also really liked. We're planning to watch Happy Death Day 2U tonight, which I remember being fun, if not quite as good as the first. But after that, I'm a little stuck...any suggestions for other horror comedies with feisty heroines along those same lines?

14. CPT HOOK

This is a tough question because Freaky is a pretty R-rated movie, so it's tough for me to say what's appropriate. Maybe give some of these a look yourself first before diving in with the daughter.

An easy one I'd say is The Final Girls, which is a PG-13. May still be on Hulu?

Anna And The Apocalypse is a fairly inoffensive zombie comedy musical with a female lead. I believe it's on Hulu and Prime.

Spontaneous is a little bit bloody and perhaps too thematically heavy for an 8 year-old, but it's a great little genre-adjacent teen movie with a similar tone. Now on Hulu and Prime.

The Craft is very PG-13 adjacent, but is also maybe a little too angsty / high-school for an 8 year old?

Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon isn't necesarily female driven and perhaps a little too "slasher-movie-in-the-know", but it's another inoffensive slasher comedy.

Dipping into the more R-rated ones, I'd say Ready Or Not? It's got scary + funny + girl power. This may still be on HBO / HBO Max?

Tragedy Girls is a really great little movie, but the girls in it are a bit more mean-spirited and definitely not good role models. Tonally though, it's very similar to Freaky. On Hulu.

The Babysitter on NetFlix (as well as the sequel) are tonally similar to Freaky, but with a young boy in the lead. Still fun.

In a few years, Ginger Snaps and Jennifer's Body will be good ones.

This one may be too obvious, but what about the Scream movies? Or even I Know What You Did Last Summer?

There have also been a lot of quirky fun teen-centric horror TV series over the past few years. The best fit might be Pretty Little Liars? It used to be on NetFlix, but I think it moved over to HBO Max. Riverdale would be a good one, it's on NetFlix. If you want full blown slasher comedy series, there's Scream Queens on Hulu and Scream: The Series on NetFlix.

dave13 likes this.
  15. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I guess I'm in the minority here because I didn't really enjoy this one. I absolutely loved the opening sequence, but the film quickly rolls down hill. The comedy didn't do it for me, and the characters were mostly irritating.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendations, I will definitely look into those. She's actually already seen the craft and I know what you did last summer. She liked both of them.

As far as the r-rated nature of freaky, there was a bit of suggestive talk and stuff that went over her head, and a super brief sex scene near the beginning which we just kind of distracted her from. Other than that, it was just blood and cartoony gore, which I'm completely fine with her seeing. We've had plenty of talks about how the things in movies aren't for real. So with that in mind, I might give ready or not another look. I dont recall if there very much sexualized stuff in that one.