Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection, 09/13/2013

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jun 11, 2013.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Elaine "We've been thrown off course just a tad."
    Passenger 1"What's a tad?"
    Passenger 2 "Miss, what exactly is a tad?"
    Elaine "In space terms, that's about half a million miles."
    Passenger 2 "That's interesting."

2. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

I'm going to get this set eventually because I want 4-6 on Blu, but I'm disappointed with the packaging, particularly the artwork. A pic from Jason Goes to Hell on the cover? Really? JGTH is one of the weakest of the series. The only way they could have done worse would have been to choose a shot from Jason X. If they were smart they would have used a Jason pic from either part 3, 4, or 6. And what's with that F13 font? Reminds me of 2001 and Paramount all over again. Stick with the traditional F13 font please! Then you have the cheap packaging itself...sleaves instead of hubs. :rolleyes:

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I've got a real soft spot for Part VII. the excessive censorship is a bit of a downer, but the brutality of it still shines through. i feel like this movie took the popular notion of a friday the 13th movie at the time and just ran with it. It's my favorite of the last 4 Paramount films, and easily Kane Hodder's best performance as Jason.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  4. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

I remember seeing The New Blood on opening night, big mistake. ever. The theater was packed with all kids under 15 amazingly and the grown ups were all smoking pot It was the worst theater experience ever. My uncle took me and I told him we should have gone on a Monday night. Anyway if you saw the movie gremlins when the bad gremlins took over that theater you will get what I mean. That's what it reminded me of.. I barley could hearing any of the dialog. Worst theater experience ever. This theater was in a run down mall and they let anyone in R rated movies anyway.. Btw,, just on a side note. "The Unholy" played there a few weeks later...

5. dentists

dentists Member

Ok lol I had to say this- I'm not racist! I just turned 32 but I've managed to see parts 6 -thru- the remake all in theaters (begged my parents to take me- mostly cause at the time it was the only way for me to see boobies & I saw the first 5 on VHS) anyways being a little white kid in Chicago was weird especially for F13 parts: 6,7,8 opening night the theater was 99.9% black - never mean to me but LOUD & nutty- one time maybe in part 6 or 8 black girls behind me just started braiding my hair- I was too scared to tell my oblivious mom what was happening. Sorry just had to share the story. I was the only kid who got to see every F13 film in theaters at school starting when I was 5- WTF were my parents thinking??? The scene in Gremlins is accurate it brought me right back to 1986-1989 Chicago.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Part VII has grown on me. I watched it a couple years ago an liked it much more than I did as a kid. But VI is still one of my favs, and def the best of the last 4 Paramount Fridays. The only ones I really don't like are parts III and VIII. Even part V I can deal with (wa the first Friday movie I ever saw, maybe that's why). But yeah III never really cut it for me. I found the entire cast way too annoying.

~Matt

7. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

WORST movie going experience??? :eek2:

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

That's definitely fair but I've always thought the gimmicky nature of the film made whatever could be deemed annoying about the characters hyperbolic.

True but I think things have changed since the internet age. For one, you're constantly mixing a younger group of people who haven't even heard of something with an older group who then expose them to it. So right there, you have a built-in change of majority opinion. Then, add remakes which are hugely financially successful and you already have a dip in popularity of the original films. Which actually isn't my point but it's worth noting. I was hoping the proliferation of so-bad-it's-good internet videos and "B-movie review" blogs would revolutionize the guilty pleasure (which at times is the only way one can defend Friday the 13th) but people are not buying it. More often than not, I seem to stumble across a message board post with a literal string of repliers citing fury with something that I barely even noticed let alone had a strong opinion on- such as the fire-pissing dog in Nightmare on Elm Street 4. Or David Hess's songs in Last House on the Left. Or every single tiny difference in Michael Myers' mask in every single sequel. Basically, nitpicks turning into Key Arguments for why a movie is bad (see: any and every discussion of Jason Takes Manhattan on the internet). One person says "I hate it" and then you can count on the next 5-10 people (if it's a larger thread, 10 or more) nodding in agreement (with words).

This has actually done something to Friday the 13th, changed its reputation. First, it wavered due to the "we must have realism and dark tone in all our horror" attitude that naturally came with the immense popularity of Aughts' survival horror. Again, I saw this with my own eyes. And I'll tell you where it happened: Ohmb.net. They dismissed NoES 4 and all the Friday the 13th films after The Final Chapter due to the fact that they weren't serious enough. Now it's "Jason Lives is the best movie in the series" and some will go a step further and say "all the rest suck!" (One of these blokes follows me on Letterboxd.) After a little looking around, I discovered this was anything but an isolated incident. I don't let my love for one sequel dictate how the others are supposed to work. How could I- I love Jason Takes Manhattan. But people who found themselves less enamored with a popular sequel think they have a reason why. Or that this franchise actually fits the mold of a series that had concrete ideas from the start and just declined after x-many sequels wore them out... Which of course is ludicrous but the point is that the internet allows groups of people to take one standard which may work for a franchise and then apply to any other they feel like. Look no further than Child's Play for proof of that. Arguments on that franchise take a hilarious turn- Chucky was A) ever serious to begin with, which is why "the comedic sequels" suck, B) practically invented to make up for Freddy turning comic.

I never bore the telekinesis much thought- if I did, I might look like one of those Neanderthals who compare it to Carrie (I get why but the similarities begin and end at the ability itself...; okay, and the blonde hair). It almost seems like the franchise commenting on the fact that Lives reviving Jason only to make him unkillable left them with nowhere to go but here. That the only way to fight him now was to give the final girl superpowers. Or Game Genie and the miraculous Infinite Energy for Active Counselor code (which... come to think of it, won't do much good without Infinite Children as well).

But the film does have merits of its own. I'll never deny that I loved this movie as a teenager and that always has an influence over you. But, that being said, the film has its charms. It's mostly absurd but in very interesting ways- the characters, especially the setting, the Fred Mollin music, watching Jason prowl in a room filled with balloons, the things it borrowed from Final Chapter (all improvements, by the way... okay, except for Maddy wearing the Big & Tall man's shirt as a dress), Terry Kiser, the fact that you can't actually close the bedroom doors in the house (both Maddy and Eddie try and fail), and just the nature of the movie involving a party where people keep casually going inside, outside, next door, upstairs, downstairs, into the woods, in the van, in the bedrooms, driving off in the cars (which Jason never disabled in any way, so they truly always had a way of escaping)- meanwhile, try keeping track of where Jason is: it's Story Map Anarchy and I've loved that ever since I was a kid. If you think about it, there should be some kind of a rule where if you go outside and Jason's there- you're dead. Nope. Melissa, Tina, Nick, Dr. Crews, and Tina's mother all do it and live (for awhile, but my point is that while is a lot longer than you'd expect based on previous films). Tina, Nick, and Dr. Crews also manage to walk all the way out into the woods and back... and Then Go Back Out again without getting killed either.

I'll bow down any day to Jason Lives as the superior film but I do love New Blood the most now of the latter 4 (just recently did it snatch that honor from Manhattan).

But... censorship? It's part and parcel to this franchise. I'm sure there are moments in nearly every film that would be better with the extra gore but when I rewatch the gorier movies, the gore was awesome but it took the backseat to everything else I loved about the movies. Except The Final Chapter, where it's just about the only good thing going for it. Not to mention the fact that parts 5 and 8 are just as goreless and 2 and 6 nearly as lite on what makes it through. And think about this: the franchise's reputation was made by the original film. Anyone remember the string of about 3-5 deaths that weren't even onscreen? That took up a good near 30-minute chunk of the dang movie, at least one third where the other 2 were dedicated to building up the Camp's reputation for bad luck and revealing the killer.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  9. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I never saw ANY of the Friday the 13th films in a theater. Horror films are my favorite genre, especially slashers, but for some reason I never asked my parents to take me to see a Jason movie. My first introduction to the films were USA Channel airings in October. Oddly enough I'm still not a big F13 fan but I still buy every version of these movies that come out.

10. dentists

dentists Member

my favorite for some reason was part 8!

11. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Careful there, lest some of the politically correct bleeding hearts on here pronounce you a member of the Aryan nation.

12. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Ban that mofo!

;)

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

That's a helluva lot more offensive than racism. :eek1:

14. dentists

dentists Member

1989/Part 8 was just my time I guess- I was 8 years old. I know EVERYONE hates it but I always dug it- he looked the best in my opinion (except when unmasked-that goes to part 7) Rennie was the best looking girl in the whole series too!
    I loved- LOVED the TV show so maybe I'm just nerdy.

15. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

It had it's moments, loved the boxing scene on the rooftop. It's just too bad there wasn't enough NYC time. Also, the ending is horrendous.

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've always enjoyed Part 8...or at least the first half of it. The later stuff in the city and the ending isn't among my favorites, but it's hardly the worst of the series either.

17. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I think by this point, most people agree Jason Goes to Hell is easily the worst of the franchise.

Except for me- Freddy vs. Jason. JGtH screwed one quality franchise, FvJ screwed 2.

18. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I always viewed these movies from the Big Three as the really rotten low points:
    Freddy's Dead : The Final Nightmare
    Halloween Resurrection
    Jason Goes to Hell : The Final Friday

Jason X I just find hilarious- its bad but fun
    Freddy vs Jason I expected to hate but surprisingly thought was a decent movie for what it was - maybe it was my lowered expectations or maybe it was simply having Katharine Isabelle in it.

Now the remakes or reimaging of each are a different story.
    Halloween - first half sucked - 2nd half I liked.
    Nightmare on Elm Street - bad and bored me to tears from start to finish.
    Friday the 13th- Enjoyed the whole thing - only slightly disappointed in it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  19. thing

thing Well-Known Member

20. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Mine too... :banana: