Grizzly II: The Predator workprint footage (?)

Discussion in 'General' started by MrVess, Mar 27, 2008.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

2. CPT HOOK

3. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Active Member

Curious to hear from anybody who went to the screening earlier this week.

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

How? Apart from an anamatronic bear at the end, none of the other effects sequences were filmed, all the attack footage is missing, how are they going to replicate that? Have they used people who look like the original actors/actresses? Put on a big wigs? Or have their faces been obscured? Sounds Intriguing!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

With CGI now they put dead people in movies and make actors appear 30 years younger.

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

https://www.grizzly2revenge.com/statement

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  7. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Active Member

Interesting. Also a bit of a stretch to say there have been no bear action movies since 1976.... The Edge, Into the Grizzly Maze, Blackfoot Trail, Grizzly Rage, Claws, Bear, etc...

Dobby likes this.
  8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Possible, but I think that would be awfully expensive, something they couldn't muster up for this. They may go with 'Asylum' grade CGI!!! Jesus imagine that!!!!

Dobby likes this.
  9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The Revenant... ;)

I'm curious to see it. I know much of the footage has leaked out already and it seems hardly enough to make a feature out of. But who knows.

Dobby likes this.
  10. CPT HOOK

There's a blu-ray up for pre-order on January 8th.

However, it's from Gravitas Ventures, who I'm pretty sure is a BD-R outfit.

11. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

I could guess who you were talking about. I love his website and its visual histories of vhs. It is a godsend for me. I have spent many hours defusing my anxiety by just scrolling in there and figured out a list of what I want to see, like the days I spent wandering in mom n pop rental places digging the ballyhoo n boxes and chatting with the slightly crabby clerks (basically video baristas) who were forced to play pg rated product on the counter tv while slightly guilty looking people stared at their shoes renting the boxes from the Room With the Magical Childproof Curtain (TM). (we would screen wild stuff on low client times- I mean, She Devils on Wheels technically didn't have a rating, right?). I can practically hear the bell over the door and smell the grey carpet adhesive that got wet in winter. I have gotten through a lot of bad times with that website on my cell phone.
    To stay on topic, i wanna see grizzly 2. Blind buy. Will probably hum the music for days.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Zombie Dude and Mutilated Prey like this.
  12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Just finished watching this. The old footage looks really good. It's super clean with basically no noise or damage but still retaining it's 80's film look. I don't know what they did but it's pretty impressive considering what I was expecting it to look like. There's the occasional low quality shot, but not that many.
    The newly shot bits so far have been few but noticeable. Things like real bears and audience fill-in shots for the concert. There was even some hilariously bad cgi blood at the beginning for some gun shots.

The film itself still doesn't really feel complete. The stuff with Clooney and Sheen and Laura Dern seems to be missing bits and felt choppy, as do other parts. In any case the movie is pretty bad. Possibly not as bad as you would expect, but it's fairly bland for most of it's short run-time. At the end (concert bit) the bear mostly feels like it's standing in one spot roaring the whole time. You never see a full shot of it to show off its size and it never feels threatening. The ending is highly anticlimactic. It just abruptly stops after the bear is dead. The whole sequence is about 9 minutes and you can hardly tell whats going on.

It was an interesting watch. Not something I'd ever care to see again. It's just cool that this footage was unearthed after all these years. I was hoping it might fall into the "so bad it's good" category but there wasn't too much to be amused about.

chancetx and Katatonia like this.
  13. CPT HOOK

I don't know the difference between the two versions, but the old VHS workprint that had been floating around for years runs 97 mins without any end credits.

This new restored blu-ray version is only 68 mins (74 mins with the end credits).

So there's about 30 mins of footage missing.

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Are you sure that wasn't the "fan edit" that spliced in bear attack scenes from the first film?

This link could also explain what a lot of the footage was.

I bought the Blu-ray back when it came out (not surprisingly it's a BD-R everywhere), and while interesting it's often incoherent and was obviously far from ever finished. I probably would have posted my thoughts about it here while they were still fresh, but my guess is the forum/website was probably offline, and I simply forgot about it.

I just wish there would have been more of Deborah Foreman in it... o_Oo_Oo_O

Has anyone by chance read the "Swimming Among Sharks: The Story Behind The Making of Grizzly II. Revenge" book? There's a $20 Hardcover and a $3 Kindle version on Amazon.

chancetx likes this.
  15. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I've not seen the new cut, but I've seen an extensive review (or piss take as it turned out) on YouTube that shows a lot scenes from the movie and it looks bad, I think I've seen all I need to and don't need to view this as a whole.

It is a real shame that this could not have been finished when they were originally filming it. I think it would be up there with Troll 2 as a fun 'so bad it's good' movie experience!

chancetx likes this.
  16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Nah, not even in the same league as Troll 2 at all. There's really nothing too "nutty" about the Grizzly II scenes that were shot.

Zombie Dude and chancetx like this.
  17. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

Not sure if it was mentioned but this has been playing on Showtime recently.

chancetx likes this.
  18. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Yeah I caught it on Showtime a week or so ago. There's definitely some hilarious WTF moments but also way too much concert rehearsal footage to pad the already short runtime. It felt like Deborah Foreman didn't get to film all of her scenes; her character is never fully developed and her relationship with the singer is kind of a big question mark though you can infer what their arc would have been. Definitely an interesting and sometimes entertaining one-time watch but I can't imagine ever wanting to revisit. Though it would have made a great bonus feature on the upcoming Severin disc of the original.

Katatonia likes this.
  19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention being surprised to see Deborah Foreman in this. I mainly remember her from April Fools Day. Such a lovely smile.

Katatonia likes this.