Halloween question

Discussion in 'General' started by Natas, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

This year for Halloween, I'm going to do something different. Earlier this summer I purchased a badass projector with a massive pull down screen on a tri-pod. I was thinking it would be a really cool idea to set this up on my front porch and have a horror movie playing during the night outside as trick or treaters walk by. My front porch is set up perfectly where the screen will fit and it'll have a roof over it where the wind won't affect it too much.

The question is, what horror movie do you think will be appropriate to show out doors where a ton of little kiddos will be able to view? It's a tough one, because I could go with some obvious choices like Hocus Pocus or Halloweentown.........but I want it to be a little edgy I guess. I'm thinking a flick without nudity or excessive violence might be in order....... a PG13 flick like Critters might get the job done.
    I asked my buddy and he told me a Serbian Film. Pretty sure I would arrested about 30 minutes in lol but anyways, thoughts? Cool idea, right?

2. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

What are you going for? Mood or a movie experience? The latter - IF it works - would have to be something totally kid friendly, like Hocus Pocus.

If you are going strictly for mood, how about putting together a non-graphic trailer compilation of horror movies? The black-and-white ones can have this haunted vibe to them for instance, and could work.

3. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I was thinking one of those "42nd street trailer" dvds might be a cool idea. But some of them are often graphic as well. And I'm not that technically sound to put together something myself. With my projector I can pretty much set up my dvd player as well as the roku. So anything on Netflix/hulu/horror channels on there and dvds are my options. Ernest Scared Stupid also came to mind. I'm not sure....... I'm just hoping the trick or treaters and the parents enjoy it, that's all.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I use to put a monitor out (on top of old equipment like a mad scientist's lab) and I played the Hammer Horrors trailer compilation DVD. Everyone loved that. You got narrators shouting out spooky things and a constant steam of horror highlights. I forget which Anchor Bay release(s?) that came with.

Monsters Crash the Pajama Party: Spook Show Spectacular DVD includes a long compilation of 50's/60's midnight movie adverts that are pretty good, I'm thinking about rolling that during my Halloween Party this year. Usually I play an old VHS dub of Disney Halloween Specials.

There's also Grampa Munster hosted DVD's of Grampa's Monster Movies and Grampa's Silly Scaries. Or Horrible Horror: The Special Edition Hosted by Zacherley. Though I haven't watched them and can't comment on their quality.

5. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I think it's a cool idea and commend you for wanting to do something to make Halloween extra spooky and magical.

Yes, I was thinking something the lines of 42nd Street Forever, except without the graphic/explicit stuff. Imagine a group of trick-or-treaters plus an accompanying parent coming up your lawn as the gender reassignment surgery in Shocking Asia is projected on the screen! :eek:

6. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Trailers would probably be best since whatever movie you pick will likely have things like uneventful dialog scenes that will result in times where there are no real images of horror being projected, but trailers tend to show the best parts so if you could put together a bunch of them that aren't too inappropriate you'd probably be better off.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  7. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

That's a great idea, man!!! I love those old 50s-60s adverts. I think the parents of the trick or treaters will really dig that. Hopefully the weather is nice and I'm able to stay outside most of the night with the wife and pup dressed up, have some beers to give away to the parents if the want, and enjoy All Hallows Eve in style!!

Appreciate the input! Halloween can't come soon enough.

8. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I was definitely thinking the same thing. If I went with a feature presentation, I'd have to pick a fairly eventful flick with little down time. But then again, there's always the Fast Forward button.

9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Poltergeist? It's PG and totally pushes the boundaries a little. It's creepy, has a lot of scary imagery and has a great score. There's also no nudity and nobody dies. (They just all did in real life lol).

~Matt

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

For a short time when I was young, Victor Miller lived four houses away from where I grew up. He had a TV setup near the TV closest to the front door on Halloween. Naturally Friday the 13th was on display.

As far as films, I 'd recommend Creepshow, Gremlins, The Innkeepers and Night of the Living Dead '68.

12. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

That's a great idea. Always loved it when I would see people really get into the Halloween evening with over the top ideas like what you are doing. If you don't do trailers, Poltergeist or Night of the Living Dead '68 as the others mentioned would be great for this!

Natas likes this.
  13. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

So we ended up showing Hocus Pocus outside. It was a hit, people loved the idea.....we just didn't get THAT many trick or treaters.....probably 20 or so. But we still had a blast

*trying to upload pictures of the screen, buthaving trouble w phone. I'll try later on the pc

Steel76 and Mok like this.
  14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Should have gone with Hostel then.

15. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I know right......probably could have gotten away with some Takashi Miike shit.......

16. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?