Halloween theatrical release nationwide this october!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Sep 23, 2012.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

just found this out about the rerelease in theaters Q AND A info a new transfer/sound and documentary following the shape!!! hopefully this will be things to come for a new blu-ray next year!

I have been getting a number of emails with questions about the HALLOWEEN re-release happening next month. Here are some answers…
    - Justin Beahm

Q: Why now?
    A: Four reasons: 1. Most fans today never had the opportunity to see the film in its original theatrical run. 2. When the next new HALLOWEEN film was dropped from the schedule for this October, I knew we needed to fill that void for the fans (as you all know, we are aiming for a new film next fall). 3.This serves as a nice early kickoff to the Anniversary festivities in 2013. 4. So many people have been calling for a return to the approach John took with the original, I figured there is no better way to satisfy that request than to deliver the original masterpiece in wide release.

Q: 35mm or digital?
    A: Digital, and not from DVD.

Q: Any details on the picture and audio?
    A: I supervised a new transfer and new 5.1 audio mix. It looks and sounds amazing.

Q: What is YOU CAN’T KILL THE BOOGEYMAN: 35 YEARS OF HALLOWEEN, the mini documentary, going to be about?
    A: Since there are so many television shows and a feature length doc telling the story behind the films, I wanted to focus solely on one thing: Michael Myers. This is be all about The Shape and his impact on the genre and our culture.

Q: Will there be a trailer in theaters?
    A: Yes. Just finished work on it, and we will premiere it on HalloweenMovies in the next several days. You will start seeing it roll out in theaters on September 28th.

Q: Will the poster be available for purchase?
    A: Yes, we are going to start taking pre-orders very soon.

Q: I don’t see any theaters near me on the list. What gives?
    A: New theaters are still being added daily, so please check in regularly at www.HalloweenOnScreen.com for updates.

Q: What are the dates the film will be playing?
    A: The two main dates will be October 25th and 31st, but many theaters will have screenings running between as well.

Q: Will this be screening in Canada?
    A: Some Canadian chains have expressed interest, so it is possible, but there are currently no Canadian theaters on board.

Q: Will this be screening anywhere overseas?
    A: There are no plans for a foreign re-release this time around. We would love to take it around the world, so stay tuned on that.

Q: How can I help spread the word?
    A: Share the poster image, links, and anything else we post. The more people are talking about it, the wider the release will be. Would love to see this strike fear int the big dogs at the box office this Halloween!

Q: Was it the boogeyman?
    A: As a matter of fact, it was.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yes, digital, but not on the same quality level as the usual digital presentation at theaters nowadays. It will be like Fathom events, so even though it's "not from DVD", it will look like it.

3. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

A new supervised transfer and a new 5.1 mix? Count me in...I can't believe how many theaters close to me are actually playing this. Badass. I usually have to travel an hour to Milwaukee to see the cool stuff.

I went to a Halloween re-release a few years back and it souded like shit. Hopefully this new mix does the film justice.

4. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Sometimes I hate living in Canada...

5. Drinkinstein

Drinkinstein Member

Dammit! I hope they do add some Canadian showings, I would love to see this on the big screen!

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I won't be happy with a re-release unless Loomis shoots first.

7. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Will it really look that bad? There's a theater about 10 minutes away from me playing this, and I was excited for a brief moment. Your comments somewhat tempered my enthusiasm.

8. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I saw this like 4 years ago during a limited Halloween time release - is this release really supposed to be much different then the print used then (I believe it was for its 30th anniversary?) ? Im totally up to see this again on the big screen though regardless - I see so far two theatres in my area will have it

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

That appears to be the consensus from what I've read. It will probably be some kind of streaming, which usually means compression. It's not like a regular digital presentation that you see nowadays, in which the movie is still physically shipped to the theater on a hard drive. I don't think they'll be doing that here.

10. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I work at a movie theater that does a lot of those NCM Fathom events and, if this release is anything like those, I can tell you they're not worth it. The way it works is that there is literally a Dish Network DVR hooked into the digital projector, so everything being projected is 1080i. If you were to watch Halloween in HD, through your cable or satellite provider, this is what you would get ... except now it's being blown up to a 25' screen. It's soft, fuzzy and washed out. Plus, it only projects in 1.85:1 so you'll be watching it with black bars, despite the screen having the capacity to project 2.39:1.

11. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Nice.

12. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

Damn! I got excited because I'll be in New York that week, then I read it wasn't on 35mm...then I read your comments...almost man, almost got to see Halloween in theaters. I'll be checking this thread in case someone brings good news about this.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Except in Los Angeles, the days of revival screenings in 35mm are few and far between.

14. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Duhhh... bad joke. He´s the only one with the gun.

15. Kolpitz

To be fair, this is being done by Screenvision not NCM. I've never dealt with them so there's a possibility that they're distrubting this digitally on hard drives. Even if that is the case, it more than likely won't be 4k digital.

16. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

That sounds... just awful.

17. Kolpitz

We had a customer come out of Singin' in the Rain complaining about how awful it looks, as he had previously seen it projected from a 35mm Technicolor print. He sent his complaint to NCM, who sent me an e-mail asking if there was something wrong with our bulb or our projector. I explained that it was the content and asked what the resolution was. Her answer: 1920x1080i. I explained that was the problem and she thanked me. They don't know what they're showing. NCM is hired by outside companies as the go-between and the content is provided by the client (in the case of Singin' in the Rain, by Turner Classic Movies). All of the upcoming TCM stuff is like this (E.T., Frankenstein / Bride of Frankenstein, To Kill a Mockinbird), whereas the NCM release of Lawrence of Arabia is a 4k digital presentation. It really depends on the company that hires NCM.

18. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Guys, if you want to watch Halloween in 35mm this October and live near Southern Indiana / Northern Kentucky, check out Georgetown Indiana's Drive IN (http://www.georgetowndrivein.com) and their "Drive-in of Terror" schedule. They will be playing Halloween on the first date as well as the sixth (and on that date, they will also show Halloween 4 & 5). They are also playing Nightmare on Elm St, TCM, The Shining and the original Night of the Living Dead through out the month. There will be a haunted attraction put up as well along with various festivities. Basically a horror celebration if you will. So fuck the digital projections and see the film in 35mm! I've seen their print before and it's pretty good, though the reel did snap a few times! LOL Gotta love it though.

19. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Goddammit!!! Why can't there be anything like that in my area?! There's NOTHING like that in eastern PA. Shit. Drive-ins are in serious need of a comeback. There's a few within driving distance of me, but all they play are the modern day crap.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  20. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Unfortunately, a lot more will die within the next year or two. Hollywood studios are FORCING theaters to go digital, and these projectors cost around $80,000 a piece. Drive-ins being seasonal, cannot afford to go this route. The drive-in I listed, has raised enough money over the past few years to do that, so fortunately they will stay open.