Hooper's Eaten Alive

Discussion in 'General' started by dmeister, Apr 19, 2004.

1. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Opinions? Never seen this flick. Is it any good?

dmeister

2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I've only seen it once years ago but kinda enjoyed it back then. Not sure if it still holds up today though.
    Need to rewatch to refresh my memory.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Really underated in my opinion. Nice gritty feel to the film, but don't expect Chainsaw Massacre.

4. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Not that great of a film, but worth a one time watch. I think you can even get a Diamond dvd of it cheap if you can still find it. I got the Image one used for $10, but I've since traded it off.

5. dmeister

dmeister New Member

I'd have to buy it to watch it, since no videos store around here carry it... So is it worth the $15 it would set me back?

dmeister

6. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I don't think so!

7. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I first saw it a year ago. I went in with low expectations because nothing will beat TCM. It actually turned out to be a cool film. Not as remarkable as TCM, but when I read posts about people wanting to buy some sort of crap like the Snuff dvd, I always try to point out that there are far more better films out there to check out. In between the great films like TCM, Tenebre, Return of the Living Dead and terribly poor films like Snuff, there is a middle ground reserved for movies like Eaten Alive. As one posted, it is gritty and has its share of violent scenes. I will definately be watching my copy again soon in the future as I have been itching to for a while.

8. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I really liked this film...definitely one of my favorites from Hooper. It still has that guerilla filmmaking type feel to it, like in TCM. Really nice atmosphere, and the main actor is really quite good. I'd recommend picking it up...it's worth $15 to me.

9. Mario77

Mario77 New Member

I like this one. No all-time classic, but it's good. I love the look of it, it's like gritty and 70's, but it's colorful and the exteriors are filmed on this great indoor set made to look like the bayou, so it has an almost retro feel. It also has some gory shocks and Marilyn Burns is good, too.

10. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I've tried to watch this three times, but have never made it through it in one sitting - I always fall asleep, wander off, or put another movie on.

I really want to like it - Neville Brand and Marilyn Burns are both appealing actors, and Hooper manages to conjure up a grimy atmosphere - but there just isn't much narrative propulsion. I can often forgive a methodical (read: slow) movie on the grounds of a stand-out money scene, but Eaten Alive diffuses the tension prematurely every time it is about to reach a climax.

Any fans of this one? What is it about it that you like?

11. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

If you can take it for what it is (i.e. a cheap 70's era grindhouse flick) its enjoyable enough. No Texas Chainsaw Massacre tho, but still decent in a sleazy kind of way. Also as an added bonus, don't miss an early appearance from Freddy himself, Robert Englund.

12. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

"Name's Buck, I'm rearing to fuck. Should have kept my eyes on the croc."

I like the grindhouse aesthetics, but Hooper drops the ball on some opportunities for creating good scares. In one scene, the screen cuts from a girl running to the killer running. We don't even see them in the same frame - and then she hitches a lift and the tension fizzles. I just wish the movie had been as cinematically brutal as it is thematically brutal.

13. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

I do like this one. There's a few illogical "WTF" moments (one featuring William Finley of 'Phantom of the Paradise' and Marilyn Burns exchanging some VERY wierd Fulci-type glances). For the limited budget, it was a pretty effective little film though. Great lighting and an overall sense of just plain nastiness.

It was great to see an early Robert Englund in that role as well.

14. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

Not really a fan of this one. Neville brand was pretty good in it, but I just find it too boring. On the plus side I do think Marilyn Burns looks hot as fuck in it!:banana:

15. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

After watching it, I think it's very good for what it is and agree with Ash- it's underrated. But you have to have a lot of patience with it. I almost lost it twice. Once with (Kyle?) Andrews underneath the house - I couldn't figure out if he was going to try to kill her or what - and again in the beginning with the prostitute. It does have a lot that is good about it, it's just not consistent with it.

And I personally think it's easily worth $15, but no more than $17. That money is better spent on Deathdream if you don't already have it.

16. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I loved that crazed ending.

17. philxus

philxus New Member

Save your $15.00,If you can find it for $4.99 maybe give it a shot,you can also watched on IFC uncut on cable is on like every other weekend.:sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

18. MadmanMarz

MadmanMarz Member

i was disappointed. expected so much more out of this movie. not as bad as spontaneous combustion, but one of the weaker Hooper efforts. don't pay top dollar for this. liked the early appearance by Robert England though. you can see where Tarantino ripped a famous line for Kill Bill.

19. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    You only say that because YOUR film is out of print and more popular, MadmanMarz. :nervous:

20. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I can't imagine why, seeing as how Tobe Hooper is considered a lesser director in the genre. People know as a rule of thumb with him, you have to keep your expectations low.

Disagreed. In fact, I'm actually looking forward to renting The Funhouse again because of how much I enjoyed this movie.