Hooray for the mom and pops!

Discussion in 'General' started by maybrick, Mar 10, 2010.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Nice! I always meant to start a poster collection. And I guess I did, sort of, but I only have 3 or 4. I wish there was a movie poster museum nearby that I could go to. That would be awesome!

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

My friend just opened up a "mom and pop" record/film shop just this past weekend. It's still not fully stocked yet as he's selling vinyl and DVDs/Blus at the moment, with plans that will include film rental (VHS too) and selling of used stock. I plan on helping curate his film section with obscure titles you cannot get here. And yes, bands will be playing live in the shop too. The first show was just last night.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

As much as I love poster artwork, my poster collecting days are pretty much over. I got to around 60 posters, and I realized that 90% of them were just collecting dust in my closet. I'd love to display them all, I just don't have the wall space to accommodate.

I'm jealous that you have a rental place nearby that still rents VHS! None of the rental stores in my area carry any movies from before the year 2000.

Let us know what you think of the five movies.

4. Chikan

Chikan New Member

My mom and pops is dead...drunk driver :cry:

But seriously, great haul maybrick!

5. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Where in Canada? Very interested.

6. startide

startide Member

What scene would that be?

The rape scene with the erect penis in it?

I have this tape. How on earth this slipped passed our censors, or indeed the editor of the film, I have absolutely no idea.

Katatonia, does the UK DVD have that scene intact? Surely they would have cut it.

It's a purely physiological response, I get that. That doesn't mean it's not still revolting. [​IMG]

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The rape scene is on the DVD. I haven't compared it closely with the VHS, but I don't remember noticing any cuts.

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Scarecrow Video Promo

Nice little video on Seattle's Scarecrow Video, my home away from home. I've seen so many great things for the first time here over the years. They carry out of print titles, VHS that's never been on DVD, Laserdiscs that contain features not on DVD, and they carry all the MOD & indie releases that you'd never see in bigger rental stores.

9. maybrick

Nice! I have a friend who lives in Seattle. I'll have to ask him about Scarecrow.

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

That is the scene startide. It doesn't fit the tone of the rest of the film. I do like that it's there. It adds a little "shock".

11. maybrick

Out of the five, I probably enjoyed After the Fall of New York the most. It was just a heck of a lot of fun and was virtually non stop action from start to finish. In comparison, 1990: The Bronx Warriors wasn't nearly as interesting although Fred Williamson was great in it. It was pretty dull for the first half and the action sequences weren't very inspired. Summer Camp Nightmare was cheesy fun, but I thought that it could have developed it's potential a bit more. The Outing was also another fun movie, but apparently the VHS is cut because I didn't see any penises, erect or otherwise, and all of a sudden a guy is chopped in half without explanation. And last, Mortuary is probably the best role Bill Paxton has ever had. If I saw this film an early point in my life I'm positive that it would have become highly nostalgic for me because it does have some creepy scenes and the killer is pretty effective... reminds me of a proto-Ghostface. Seeing it for the first time through an adults eyes though, I thought it was average, or maybe ever so slightly more than that.

I'm going to return them today and rent some more.

12. CPT HOOK

Judging from the picture you posted, it looks like we have the same VHS, but from what I remember you do see the male frontal nudity during the rape scene. It is fleeting, but it is there.

13. booper71

booper71 B-Zone on Roku

That place would give me an orgasm, it's been too long since I seen an actual store that still had a vhs selection. I seen the box for Bloody Friday, is that a Claudia Jennings movie?

14. booper71

booper71 B-Zone on Roku

Had a store in Cincinnati in the late 80s called ...(drumroll) VIDEO RENTAL ... what a generic name! They had vhs out the wazoo, and laserdisc too. I saw they had four copies of the seminal classic "LUNCH MEAT" and a staggering 9 copies of a film called "CURSE OF THE BLUE LIGHTS". The clerk gave me a huge poster of New Wave Hookers that day!

15. maybrick

16. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Pretty nice collection...too bad most of their VHS look mutilated.

17. CPT HOOK

Great stuff! Thanks for the pics, I always enjoy browsing movie collections.

If you're looking for fun VHS recommendations, I personally have enjoyed:
    Children Of The Night
    Elves
    Grandma's House
    Hellgate
    The Midnight Hour
    Mikey
    The Mutilator
    One Dark Night
    Primal Rage
    The Resurrected
    Slaughterhouse
    Spellbinder
    Twice Dead
    Unmasked Part 25

18. maybrick

I agree, and unfortunately that was very common in video stores back in the day. It's sad to see what they did to get the Wizard Video edition of Zombie to fit in that little plastic case. :(

Still, the cult selection at Reel to Reel simply cannot be beat in this neck of the woods.

19. maybrick

I own the Mutilator and love One Dark Night. I was fortunate enough to see that one upon original theatrical release! I'm not sure if I've seen any of the others or not (except for the Midnight Hour) so I'll be sure to put all those in my "must see" cue. ;)

20. CPT HOOK

Be warned! Some of them (like Elves and Hellgate) are bad movies, but they're the good kind of bad.

Personally, I think Elves is a much better "worst movie" than Troll 2, but the problem is that no one has seen it. It's so entertaining!