I'm now convinced FANGORIA is crap!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Harry Warden, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Okay..where do I start. I have been a loyal subscriber/supporter of Fangoria since it's inception back in 1979. I have every issue upto the current. I must admit I haven't read a complete issue since #210, but for sentimential reasons, I've collected and resubscribed every year faithfully. I was surfing on their webpage and discovered a photo of the forthcoming issue #298 with Gene fucking Simmons on the cover. Now..I don't give a shit about Gene Simmons, nor do I think that his mug is appropriate for a cover photo. This is the final straw. I've defended this magazine for years, but it really has become so out of touch with the modern world. Yes, they would on occasion, have some dumb cover shots, but this one takes the cake. It's not scary, it's not horror, it not appropriate. Gene Simmons is not scary or horrific. Fangoria is not Cream magazine, or Rolling Stone, or whatever. If you want to have an article on Gene, fine, but the fucking cover????? I cannot believe how far this magazine has fallen since the new editor Chris Alexander has taken over. How damn sad. What used to be an institution of horror is nothing more than some mindless crap with articles NOBODY wants to read. I will not be renewing my subscription. I don't mean to grandstand here, but this just pisses me off royally. I'm done my friends. I can no longer support this magazine. I am very glad this site exists. I get so much more information from all of the members on this site than anything that has been printed in Fangoria over the past five years. I'd be interested in anyone's comments whether you agree with me or not. Thanks for letting me rant and rave!!!! :fire: :D

2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Of course I agree. Fango used to be THE MAGAZINE to read for horror news, now it is Rue Morgue and that other newer one. But instead of conrnering the niche market, Fangoria is Cream.

3. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Magazines? How quaint!

4. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

By that other newer one do you mean Horrorhound?

5. Mr. Cole

Mr. Cole Member

Agreed fangoria blows. A new Horrorhound always makes my day these days

6. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Yeah, Fangoria has been dead to me for awhile now. Even Rue Morgue is starting to lose its luster, though I still enjoy getting it.

7. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I don't even remember the last time I picked up Fangoria to flip through it in the store when I saw it on the shelf. I also gotta say that the Gene Simmons cover is the worst one I've seen yet although in all fairness I should also mention that since the magazine is no longer of interest to me I'm not familiar with most of it's covers.

8. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Magazines are all obsolete thanks to the internet.

9. 3invertednines

3invertednines New Member

You've subscribed since 1979? :eek: That's incredible.

I stopped reading it when the internet came along. It's a ridiculously expensive magazine!

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I have every issue myself, been a subscriber for years. I don't have a problem with Gene Simmons on the cover.

I would assume you would have a problem with Rue Morgue. They had Glenn Danzig & Alice Cooper on their covers. And once Horrorhound had Eli Roth. :lol:

But going back to Gene. His whole thing on Kiss is he's the "Demon". And he had a line of comics, one being Gene Simmons House of Horrors.

Plus you state that you have not read a full Fangoria in over 7 years. I think you missed a bunch of good stuff imo.

Are you talking about news on what movie is coming out & when? Because as far as info, I don't think there are too many people on this board that have sit downs with actors, directors, FX artists, etc... & exclusive set tours of horror movies.

I obviously could be wrong though.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  11. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input Baggio. I know where you are coming from. I realize that the horror genre is not just films. It is so much more. Literature, gaming, music and the like. I, for the longest time, actually felt the same way as you and really defended this magazine for a long time. I've bought/subscribed from day one. I actually remember the days when they started to put sci-fi films on Fangoria (issues 4-6) and they were berated for doing so. At the time, there were numerous magazines on the stands that specialized in Star Wars and the like, including Fangoria's sister pub Starlog. They got the message and started with true horror covers. Folks wanted horror, not sci-fi and Famous Monsters was close to becoming defunct. My point is this. Include an article on Gene Simmons if you like, but by putting this on the cover, its doesn't make me want to even read what's inside. Futhermore, Fangoria is not Rolling Stone. If I want a cover story related to music, I will buy Rolling Stone. Yes music does have a place in the horror genre, but not on the frickin cover. After all, let's face it..if it wasn't for films, Fangoria and other publications, wouldn't have a whole hell of a lot to talk about. Perhaps I can be accused of being to narrowminded in scope, but I assure you I am not. I've always liked the fact that Fangoria covered all areas of horror, but the cover is your selling point. If the cover sucks, most people will not pick up the magazine in the first place. If I was in my teens again and this magazine was new, I would never buy it. I would be willing to bet that most younger horror fans may not be familiar with Gene Simmons "the demon" at all. That may translate into a reason to have an article on him, but if the first thing folks look at if they are buying a magazine is the cover, and if it sucks, they will move on to some other magazine that caters to their interest. Fangoria, as noted by many on this very board over the past year, has become irrelevant. They don't read paper-the internet killed it. So why is someone so damn determined to say "fuck-off" to those who are loyal subscribers to attract a segment who don't read their publication anyway. There will be those who don't mind the cover, like yourself, and that's fine. For me personally, its the straw that broke the camel's back. Judging from posts here and elsewhere, the loyal subscribers are stuck in the Jurassic age if you will. This has been coming over several years now. The content (what I've read, anyway) has been dumbed down, shorted and filled with shitty articles that I have no desire to read.

BTW, to answer your other question, this site and it's members offer many different opinions, insight, history lessons, etc.. that I haven't found in Fangoria for a lonnnnnnggggg time. But I do know how you feel Baggio..but for me, this cover has pushed my buttons to a point past any rescue. I can't watch this magazine, IMO, sink any lower.

12. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I support your distaste with Gene Simmons. You know it's a slow month when he's on the cover.

13. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

As a longtime fan of Fangoria Magazine and KISS, I actually think it's a Cool thing to have Gene Simmons on the Fango Cover. Remember back in the day when Fango had Ozzy on the Cover! So, mixing Horror and Hard Rock is nothing new. As far as the worst Covers go, I would think that stuff like Jurassic Park, and some of the other Non Horror Covers take that title. My Favorite Fangoria Magazine Covers are usually the Great and Gory Horror Film Shot but once in while I think it is Cool to have some Rock Bands who make Horror a part of their Show like KISS and Alice Cooper. I'm just happy that they went with a Legend like Gene Simmons and not some lame crappy new band!!

14. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Yes.

I am a Danzig apologist, for sure, but he is way more a horror icon than Gene Simmons. Beyond the makeup KISS sing about chicks. Danzig sings about monster movies and Satan, and had/has a line of horror comics.

I used to subscribe to Fango too but stuff like Rue Morgue and ... there was another.. anyway those are what I buy if/when I do buy.

15. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Happens to all mags. Remember when FM became nothing more than a paid ad mag for new films with horrible puff pieces. Even the great Psychotronic Video slide badly towards the end.

16. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I am still a unrepentant Fango loyalist and will definitely renew my subscription when the time comes. Part of it is probably just being an old horror warhorse ( I started reading as a kid when I picked up issue #6 on the stands and never stopped), and there is just something special about holding a magazine in your hands and luxuriously going through it that the internet will never satisfy for me. I think you're being a little harsh in terms of the articles, Harry. I enjoy the somewhat in-depth looks at upcoming movies (yes, some are still on the puff-piece side, I understand), the reviews, the chopping list, and they have actually been doing a bit more of the retrospective pieces with the new editor. I admit that Gene Simmons really has no place on the cover (and I'm a longtime Kiss fan), but I'd rather see that then that terrible Resident Evil cover from last month. Harry, as a couple of longtime Fango freaks we need to stand behind it while it still lasts. Dammit man, don't give up!! Stand tall for the old school! Just think of all the great times you have had with the mag. Go back and read some of those issues you have been neglecting in the recent past. You'll find some worthwhile stuff. It's not too late. Fangorians unite.....we may be holed up inside the Alamo with the internet warriors pounding on the gates, but I for one will not surrender. Anybody out there with me???

17. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Rousing speech. Quite inspirational. But on this one I find I'm rather Mexican, and willing to mess with Texas. :)

18. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

That's how I felt when Timpone took over.

I also collected this mag since #1, but gave up a long time ago. Still buy the occasional issue when there is a good retrospective. I like KISS but have grave misgivings about that cover.

19. deadthing13

deadthing13 New Member

Chris Alexander here.

Please follow the link below to read my reasons for putting the Simmons painting on my cover.

http://fangoria.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=173&func=view&catid=36&id=46882#46894

And to those of you who have yet to read MY version of FANGORIA (including this Warden character, who has been defacing my website lately and who, by his own admission, doesn't even READ my mag!)....feel free to email me at chris@fangoria.com and I'll happily send you a FREE copy of the mag. If you read it cover to cover and still doubt the changes I've made, then so be it....learned years ago that you can't please 'em all.

But if you dig where I'm going with this journey, if you dig my very specific outlook and passion for horror, why not post here.... I would love to read your feedback.

My love to fans of counter-culture entertainment everywhere...

C.

Thanks

20. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

As long as there are still hilarious reviews from reviewers peeved about DTV I will keep reading Fango. I always go right to Video Eye first just to hear 'em get all irate!!