Image Entertainment Re-Releasing DVD & Blu-Rays (Lake Shore Deal)

Discussion in 'General' started by Shawn Francis, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Same.:( I can't believe they let these slip. Now we have incompetent companies releasing some of our favorite films.

Oh and that Hills Have Eyes blu looks shit. It just looks the exact same as the standard dvd version except the picture is bigger.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Those DVDBeaver screenshots do look better than the others posted, but still nothing special. I'm keeping my preorder as it's only like $10.

3. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Um... maybe if you have poor eyesight and a 26" monitor.:rolleyes:
    Believe me, even a "soft" Blu-ray such as this looks MASSIVELY better than an upscaled DVD on any sizeable screen.

4. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Its shot on Super 16... IE, the Blu-ray looks like the negative as Super 16 really only captures DVD levels of detail when you get down to it. (Though the actual negative has the capacity for more, when you factor in lenses, exposure, etc it doesn't.)
    The Blu-ray SHOULD look much better in motion as it should capture the character and movement of the grain. It should look very film-like projected on a large screen or viewed on a sizeable LCD/PDP. That of course assumes that DNR has not applied and that the meager bit-rate is high enough.

5. Zombie Dude

I thought films like Evil Dead were shot on Super 16 and the blu version for that looks a lot better than the dvd.

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

:lol: i really don't think this is what you meant...

7. Zombie Dude

Nope, I mean incompetent :eek: Thanks for pointing that out :)

8. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Super 16 only captures DVD level of details?
    Dude you don´t even know what your talking about.

Just so you know, "Walking Dead" was shot on 16mm, and so are alot of other TV series showing on HDTV ;)
    http://horrordvds.com/viewarticle.php?commentid=3132#comment3132
    No matter the budget, 16 mm is way beyond DVD in details.

16 mm movies like "Evil Dead" and "Dorm that dripped Blood" look like they were shot on 35mm in comparision to this disc.

Even 8mm has more details and sharpness than the horrible D1 upscale they put on the Blu-Ray of "Hills".

Don´t try to defend this crap job they did.

9. Steel76

A soft movie, sure, but this is an upscaled SD transfer, so it won´t look any better than the DVD.

10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Do we know for sure yet that it's an upscale?

11. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

All I know is from looking at those screens of Hills, I see no difference in picture except the blu caps are larger. Everything else looks identical, so why not just keep the dvd and watch it in the BD player which will upscale it to that size? I see no reason for anyone who owns the Hills 2disc to bother with this joke of a BD. In fact, please don't. Send a message that we won't accept shit, and they'll quit trying to serve it! If a better print doesn't exist then it shouldn't be on blu, period.

12. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I know exactly what I'm talking about. Walking dead is shot on MODERN & QUALITY 16mm film. Comparing it to cheap vintage 70s Super 16 that is the worst misnomer I've ever read and I'm sick of reading it. Also, as I mentioned, the quality of camera, lenses, etc effect the quality of the content on the negative... and Craven used pretty poor equipment.
    Raimi and company used somewhat better equipment. However, the DVDs still capture the detail of the original negative while the Blu better captures the texture and structure of the grain which makes it appear much more vivid and film like.
    And what makes you think that this Blu-ray is an upscale? There is no evidence of any of the artifacts created by upscaling in the screencaps plus the grain it much better textured (upscaling can't create detail that isn't there) which is, again, indicative of a higher resolution source. I easily believe that it was taken from a dated 1.9K HD Master, but there is no reason to believe that it is an upscale.
    I believe it is you who don't have clue what crap you're spewing forth. You're being emotional rather than logical.
    ---
    BTW, I don't think that Dorm that Dripped Blood looks too much better than this disc.

13. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

No, he's making shit up. I understand him being disappointed in the quality, but labeling it an "upscale" just because he is unhappy with a few screen caps is ridiculous. He hasn't provided any evidence or reasons to confirm that this is an upscale other than the fact that it looks like sh*t.

14. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

By the way Steel, I just want to let you know that I DO agree that the release looks like sh*t. I'm probably going to cancel my pre-order. I only wished to emphasize that movies of this vintage, filmed on cheap stock with worn out cameras, may never look any better than they do here; especially if the original negatives are not available and it has to be taken from a print- maybe even a dodgy beat-up release print. The only reason I got so upset with you is your insistence that this is an upscale, which we currently have no evidence of (if it is an upscale, its done well as I see none of the tell-tale signs), and your willingness to try and call me out on knowing nothing on about film stock as that statement is rife with inaccuracy. Let's wait till we see it in motion before we condemn it. If it looks like shit then, I'll join in right with you! ;)

15. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Ok... I've since found quite a few more caps than the DVDBeaver ones. The DVDBeaver caps seem cherry picked. After looking closely at several more, I think Steel may be right that this is an upscale as I'm seeing some "lesser" caps that DO demonstrate the artifacts that I was looking for in the DVDBeaver caps. It is a slightly better upscale than alot of the crap upscales we've seen, but any upscale is unaccetable. I'd still like to see it in motion to see how the grain behaves before I sentence this release to death though...

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Anyone know if Image's re-release of Son'y The Deep on Blu-ray is any different? No one's made a comparison that I've seen.

17. Steel76

Sorry, SaxCatz, I didn´t mean in anyway to offend you. Sometimes I get a bit carried away when the companies gives us crap like this and they expect to get away with it ;)

But still, I´ve seen lowbudget 16mm films from the 60:s shot on cheap stock on DVD, that almost looks like High Def in comparision. Even the original "Last house on the Left", although very soft, makes "Hills" look like an VHS transfer. If they went back to the original print, and did a new transfer, I can bet it would look MUCH better.
    Also, the filmgrain on those screens look more like they turned into a mess of artifacts,

Oh well, we´ll just wait and see what the more trustworthy reviewers says about it ;)

18. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Yeah, I agree that even the LHotL Blu is much better than this. LHotL is the poster child for a movie that doesn't have anymore detail on Blu-ray then it did on DVD but still looks much superior on Blu-ray thanks to the increased resolutions ability to capture the character of the grain. Evil Dead is another great example of the same where it has only slightly more visible detail than the DVD, the ability of the superior codecs and increased resolutio to capture the texture of the grain makes it look so much more film-like and beautiful. This release doesn't appear to do that although, on first impression, I thought the murdered grain structure was just due to poor compression.
    As such, I really didn't think it was an upscale at first as I was relying on the DVDBeaver screencaps and I do note slightly more detail in them. However, I think that difference can just be attributed to the superiority of AVC or VC-1 codec on Blu-ray... the MPEG2 compression on the DVD is smoothing out SOME of the detail visible in the original SD master. Upon viewing that of the other screencaps floating around, it is clear to see some pretty significant artifacts that may be tell-tale signs of an upconversion. Yet the DVDBeaver review mentions nothing of the sort... I'm starting to loose ALOT of faith in the reviews on that website.
    I would love them to go back to the original negative and make a new transfer, but who knows if they still exists or what shape they are in? What is the best quality print available? Again, if the negatives are lost and the best quality print is a tattered release print, then even after all the expense of a new HD transfer, it may only look nominally better than this Blu. Unfortunately, we'll probably never find out as this release seems to confirm that the rightsholders didn't expect the release to be profitable enough to justify doing it right in the first place. *sigh*

19. Steel76

Yeah, the reviewer is also often clueless about the horrible amount of DNR and EE on some discs, until the readers point them out to him ;)

I only visit the Beaver for the screenshots these days, that all.

20. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I already own Anchor Bay's Heathers and Children Of The Corn blu-rays, plus Arrow's Vamp blu-ray.

After reading this thread, I stopped by Borders today and nabbed Anchor Bay's Hellraiser blu-ray for $5.99 (70% off).