image quality of rhino, diamond dvds?

Discussion in 'General' started by rkellner, May 24, 2002.

1. rkellner

rkellner Guest

I have passed by many of these diamond or rhino dvds and the under $10 price for two good movies was tempting, but I am just left to wonder, how is the image quality? For one, I am dying to pick up horror hotel/carnival of souls, but how do they look compared to other releases (criterion and who ever put out City of the Dead). Am I getting what I paid for, or is this a bargain in disguise?

2. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

quality various from title to title. i dont have any rhino dvds but i do have alot of diamond ones. as for COS..i dont have it but i would either rate from poor to medium. diamond doesnt do there own transfers..they steal them. mostly from old tapes or LDs. if ur a real fan of COS id just pick up the celerion...but if you havent seen it or dont remeber you cant go wrong with diamond if you just wanna try. most of the diamond dvds you can get from buy.com for $4 each..COS isnt there tho..sorry. if you have any more questions post here and ill try to help as much as possible.

-Wez

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I pretty much agree with everything that Wez said about Diamond dvds. I buy them and think of them as a rental. If I really like the film, and there is a better version, I will re-buy it, if not, I just stick it in my collection or even trade it in. I get $2 for them at a local cd store, so all in all I come out a winner with the Diamond discs. Also, they have some titles unavailable anywhere else.

4. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I have a bunch of Diamond discs. I’m happy with them. Are they the best transfers? Well, we only hope not! But it’s not really the point. Best Buy has them for $6 each. You know, when dealing with some of the cheaper titles that have ever been made – I personally don’t need an anamorphic transfer with audio commentary.

For instance – I bought “Pieces” on Diamond. The transfer isn’t that great. The movie itself is certainly one of the funniest (unintentionally I might add) that I own. No extras – no trailer nothing. But you know what – for $6 it’s a hoot. I wouldn’t buy it again if they remastered it to look like Star Wars. Diamond did a good job just delivering it – and it’s worth everyone’s money. I say you can’t go wrong with Diamond. Sure others might say, “Anchor Bay’s looks better” – but sometimes, who cares. When you’re dealing with some of these movies – the remastering would cost more than the production costs –LOL--

5. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

i wish peices did have trailer tho...it would be intresting. i can just imagine at the end a deep dark voice going PEICES. haha

6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Came across this VHS catalog from 1986.

Rhino Home Video February 1986.JPG

Katatonia and X-human like this.
  7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

LOL! That's terrific.

Also, I watch Corman's St. Valentine's Day Massacre every February 14th...

russweiss likes this.