is hollywood confusing the horror and thriller genres?

Discussion in 'General' started by blood vamp, Jun 15, 2007.

1. blood vamp

blood vamp Guest

perfect examples of this are the mummy and van helsing. mummies and vampires are traditionally horror icons and i would prefer that they stay that way, instead of transforming them into cgi thrillerfests. opinions?

2. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

I think the Mummy and Van Helsing stayed within the Horror genre.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I don't know about Hollywood, but Borders Bookstores certainly did for years and years.

4. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Van Helsing is simply awful - thriller or horror

5. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Haven't seen Van Helsing, but I thought of The Mummy as more of an action adventure than anything else.

6. Ash J. Williams

Ash J. Williams New Member

Van Helsing deserves its own genre. The fact that it was packaged with the films that "Inspired" it and was heralded by Universal as the ultimate homage to the films that put them on the map is more than insulting; it's embarrassing.

7. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

is this an old thread?

8. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I think the companies that produce these kinds of movies... particularly horror films, big horror films... are almost embarrassed, or scared to call it a horror film and they tag it a thriller... like they seem to think people want to hear thriller rather than horror... *shrugs* feels that way to me sometimes...

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

yeah Van Helsing was one of the worst movies I've seen in a while. and I usually like Hugh Jackman, and even The Mummy was okay as a fun action adventure film.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Hollywood confuses Trendy with Horror.

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

As far as studios are concerned,the difference between "horror" films and ''thrillers" usually comes down to budget and star power.Do a film about a masked killer who goes around killing teenagers ,casting old character actors and some good looking newcomers for under ten million and you've made a "horror" movie.Do the same film for 80 million,with a couple of hot stars and see if everybody doesn't refer to it as a ''psychological thriller".It happens all the time.Horror as a genre is the red headed stepchild of the movie industry,it's often abused and it dosen't get critical respect.Studios make low to mid priced horror pics because they almost always turn a profit and they help pay for outrageously overpriced vanity projects and ''prestige" films that cost hundreds of millions to make and then tank.The term "horror" embarrasses studios,they associate the term with cheap and tawdry junk,the type of thing that will make money but won't win any awards.If ,however,you land an A-list director and a couple of top stars,well then the horror picture THEY make is suddenly hidden behind the fig leaf of respectabilty that is the ''thriller".If you don't think that's true,tune into a talk show sometime and see how the big stars will often turn themselves inside out explaining how "No,no,it's not a horror movie,it's a psycholgical thriller,I don't do horror movies".It's often a bit of highbrow snobbishness that seperates a horror film from a thriller,sad but true.

12. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I think the biggest mish-mash of horror and thriller was with the Saw series. The fucking things are like part CSI episodes. Perhaps thats what makes them so popular. :eek2:

13. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Yeah I know. I mean The Others was so trendy. Nicole Kidman playing an XBox in Beverly Hills while her house was descended upon by ghosts. And The Ring. Naomi Watts and her son watch an HD-DVD that says in 7 days Britney Spears is going to kill them.

14. Ash

Ash New Member

They're confusing horror with thrillers/action/adventure. Hollywood hasn't made a scary horror movie in 2 decades.

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Most horror films have elements of other genre's in them. If a film has enough horror elements in it then it's a horror and I really could care less what Hollywood labels them. Thriller, Mystery, Suspense and Sci-Fi are all closely related to horror and often intertwine. I think the best test on whether or not a film is a horror film is if horror fans talk about it. If we are talking about a film in the horror section of our message boards or they are being written about in horror magazines then there is obviously enough horror elements in them for it to receive attention from the horror community.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Van Helsing's much the same.

These specific movies are pretty blantantly sold as Action / Adventure. Sure Hollywood tries to dress a horror movie up a little bit by calling it a "Psychological Thriller" or my favorite "Supernatural Thriller," but in the case of Van Helsing / Mummy I think Action / Adventure is sadly an apt description of these remakes of the Universal horror franchises.