Is Media Blasters Out of Business?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ptflea2, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

4. Samhoryak

Samhoryak New Member

The message does say that this month was when the crap really hit the fan with the warehouse being locked up. A lot changes in a month.

I hope they stay around and these are just rumors. They have released some of my favorite films.

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

I don't have any numbers/specifics in regards to Media Blasters itself, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true. This economy is murderous on small businesses and film distribution has not fared much better than any other industry.

6. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster Member

I hope it's not true; if it is, they had a hell of a run. And I still have titles to get from them, so I guess now's the time.

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

I've sent a message to one of the higher ups at Media Blasters. Will post a news update once I hear back from him. Hopefully they're still around...

8. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

If this turns out to be true, definitely have to pick some stuff up before they're going for exorbitant prices. It'll be a real shame not only due to the fact that I doubt anyone else would bother releasing Buio Omega on Blu, but I fear what will happen to their massive catalog of titles, many of which may never been seen on R1 again. This is somewhat of a shock considering they tended to release pretty much anything, regardless of quality, giving the appearance they were just fine monetarily and willing to still take risks on things that clearly weren't going to sell.

9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

so this would mean no more shriek show? i can't believe that.

10. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I hope it's not the case.Maybe they didn't always make their deadlines but a lot of their releases were really great.

11. i think they still have their online store. i have a MB dvd i just cant remember what movie :(

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I still wouldn't ignore the Comic-Con presence. While not as big as usual, the booth was at least double-size (that's gonna be a few thousand dollars alone), and was staffed by several people, not to mention there were guest signings and special appearances. This amounts to lots of money for plane fare (MB is based in New York) and hotel rooms for everyone. They probably spent at least $10-20K to have a presence at Con, not typical behavior for a dying company.

Still, if they did indeed go tits-up, hunt around for their titles. Don't assume they're all hard-to-find. In fact, they probably get sold to various wholesalers for pennies on the dollar. I remember when Tartan initially died, I was able to go to a swap meet (flea market) and the DVD wholesalers had tons of unopened Tartan movies (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, etc) all for no more than $5 each.

13. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster Member

Hope you're right about MB, would be a shame to see them go.

As for Tartan, I had the same experience--went to a flea market this summer, and it was littered with their releases for a buck each.

14. rhett

rhett Administrator

Well, I spoke to one of the higher ups, or should I say former higher ups. He no longer works for them, and says that most of that AV Maniacs thread is "mostly true". He does state that the BUIO OMEGA HD transfer is completed, so it would just be a matter of pressing the disc, but that given their current situation he says "I wouldn't hold my breath on anything coming out of that place."

Unless they're trying to weather the storm with only a couple staffers remaining, I think it's sadly safe to say we've lost another to the recession...

15. Serega_M

Serega_M Member

Noy only to the recession but to the ever increasing online piracy and illegal sharing as well, as a lot of people nowadays do not even understand how it is - to pay for a movie... At least where I live.

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Sad to hear that this is signalling the probable demise of Media Blasters... :(

17. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I just bought two SS Hell Packs because I always wanted those and never got them. Fuckin' uncool, Shriek Show sometimes was fucked, but they released the shit underneath Anchor Bay for the hardcores of the hardcores and I respected that. I have most of their horror releases and it's too bad I don't have more kung fu stuff.

18. sumo8675309

sumo8675309 Active Member

well this bites, where am i going to get my extreme japanese gore movies at now?

19. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

Wow, sucks! Better pick up some of the releases while they are still reasonably priced.

20. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster Member

Sad indeed if this is the end. I still have fond memories of snatching up all the SS triple packs, and I don't think horror on DVD will ever be better than the days where you could walk into Best Buy and find those on store shelves. I've probably done 90% of my horror purchasing online, but it always made it a little bit easier when you could just walk in and find quality stuff from quality companies in stores.