Is the Friday the 13th box from 2004 still worth getting?

Discussion in 'General' started by crikan, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

It's just the natural progression of things. Yes, it is happening faster than VHS-to-DVD, but still, something to replace DVD was inevitable. DVD's aren't exactly new either. They've been out for the consumer for about 12 years give or take.

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

12 years. They say Warner were the ones who kind of pushed it the farthest. Their first DVD's seem to have been released in March, 1997.

3. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Absolutely!! I have 15 titles on Blu-Ray already and I've only paid $20 for one (1982 Version of The Thing). Outside of that, I haven't paid more than $14.99 for any of the others, and about half of those I've gotten for $9.99-12.99 at Best Buy. Amazon has terrific prices and no shipping charges at all. I never got bargins like that with DVD in the first 6-7 years of the format. I even paid upward of $35-40 dollars for some, especailly Criterion titles, so I'm glad Blu-Ray is catching on. The picture/sound quality is amazing.

4. eiker_ir

eiker_ir New Member

i rarely pay more than $10 for a Blu-ray, you just have to have patience and know where to look.

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

While I am very happy to hear that the discs can be found for reasonable prices, I am still waaaaay too poor to afford a TV and a player at this point in my life. I look forward to being able to upgrade in the future but I really don't care at this point. :) I'm perfectly happy to be watching my standard discs for now.

6. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Definitely keep an eye out this holiday season. Last year my work had a Sony blu-ray player for $189.99, and that was back when they were still running around $300! There also always crucial deals on TV's. You can get a decent 40" Samsung LCD for around $700-800 these days, and who knows what kind of insane shit they'll be running on black friday.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I'm in the same boat. And I personally don't know anyone who can afford these upgrades. It's too much a luxury.

But I will say, as for the price of cheap discs, it's becoming almost as affordable quicker than DVD originally was. I didn't even have home-access to a DVD player for more than 4 years after the discs started coming out. And the first DVD's I bought weren't less than $11. Those Trimark / Lionsgate discs back then were really expensive.

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

haha a $1000 is still quite a bit of money! My roomie has a PS3 and I plan on buying one as well to put in my room. I have over a 100 Blus and yes, they can be found for cheap if you look hard enough, but there are still a lot of releases that are expensive for what they are, especially here in Canada. We don't have as many great Blu Rays for $10-$15 like in the States, and with most sites adding duty to their shipping rates, it's not really worth it anymore to order from American sites. Compare prices on Amazon.com to Amazon.ca, huge difference!

And back to the TV, we only have a 36" 720P TV and want to upgrade, but I definitely don't have an extra $800 to throw around, and I doubt a lot of people my age do either. If you are a student or a recent grad, $800 is a lot of cash, so I can understand why not everyone is rushing into Blu. That and to take advantage of the lossless sound, you need a new receiver, which again start at like $400!

I personally jumped in more for newer titles so I didn't have to replace my DVDs years later. I figure might as well just get the Blus now until I can afford to upgrade. Of course it's an addiction and with some deals that are too good to pass up, and I have been upgrading almost everything even though I still don't have a 1080 TV or new receiver. But yeah, I think everyone should just go buy a Blu Ray player now and start buying your newer purchases on Blu as it will save you a lot down the road, and worry about repurchasing everything later once you have a better TV and surround system and can really take advantage of the discs. But again, I do see why some are apprehensive about getting into Blu Ray.

9. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I picked it up for $40 used ( very good condition) at Vintage Stock. I should get my Deluxe Edition of part VIII from Amazon soon and I'll be ready watch them all.

10. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Will this be your first time viewing the F13 series? I was surprised when I saw you hadn't watched the Halloween series before.

11. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I sold mine, but regret it. However, I just HATE the package design so I'm hesitating buying such an ugly package all over again. I really only want the first 4 movies and the special features disc.

12. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I watched Parts 1, 2 and 4 for the first time a few years back so I am going into it somewhat raw. I'm really looking forward to seeing how F13 compares to Halloween.

I'm very surprised I never gave F13 and Halloween a rent when I was young. I was aware of them and I would assume I had limited access as I did get my hands on the A Nightmare on Elm Street's and Hellraiser's.

13. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Top 5 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Sell Your 2004 F13 Box Set

I've finished reading the reviews for the new Deluxe Editions of F13 VII and VIII and for all of you who think it's a good time to sell the 2004 box set with the first 8 films, don't do so just yet! 'Cuz I've got 5 good reasons why you shouldn't sell your 2004 F13 Box Set.:

1. The box set contains the original theatrical version of F13 (if you're a collector of sorts)
    2. Part 3 has a commentary
    3. Parts VI-VIII have alternate commentaries
    4. The theatrical trailers for VII and VIII are in the box set (on the bonus disc).
    5. The box set has a bonus disc (of course!)

So, there you have it!

14. Goregasm

Goregasm Guest

The box set was awesome just because of the novelty of owning the first 8 films in box set mode.

Not to mention the fact that paramount totally fucked up Part 3 in the deluxe edition.
    In 3D, sure, but no extras?
    NO FUCKING EXTRAS?!?

15. foller

foller Active Member

Weren't there also deleted scenes on the box set that did not resurface on the deluxe editions...

16. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

The Deluxe Edition of part 2 isn't so great either. Not much interview footage and still no commentary. How did they manage to drop the ball twice on part 2? No commentary on the 2004 box set and no commentary again for the Deluxe Edition DVD/Blu-ray. Steve Miner must really be a douche. He's the only Friday director who hasn't been interviewed on any of the Friday DVDs/BDs. I mean, hell, they even managed to get a commentary and interviews from Danny Steinmann on the Part V: A New Beginning Deluxe Edition DVD, but nothing from Miner on Parts II and III?

Of course, this is the same guy who, in 1998, tried to deny the existence of Halloween II, 4, 5, and 6 by claiming that H20 was a direct sequel to the 1978 original Halloween. :rolleyes: Apparently, the only reason Halloween II got a nod (the "You told me how you watched him burn." line) was because Kevin Williamson and Moustapha Akkad wanted H20 to tie all of the films (with the exception of III, of course) together. Steve Miner (and possibly Jamie Lee Curtis and Dimension) wanted to distance H20 from the previous sequels.

17. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I can proudly say, I own the Box Set, and all 8 films in Deluxe Editions. Part 3 Blew, shadows and ghosts on the 3D. I will stick with my Shutter glasses type 3D for Part 3.