Jay Douglas R.I.P.

Discussion in 'General' started by DVDBone, Feb 27, 2019.

1. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

While his name may be unfamiliar to many, Jay Douglas’ contributions to our beloved horror DVD community certainly aren’t. Jay was truly a pioneer and his work at Anchor Bay in the late 90s helped bring so many classic and underrepresented horror and cult titles to the masses. While I loved horror movies as a kid growing up in the 80s, DVD was really my first introduction to the world of horror that existed just outside the mainstream. Anchor Bay’s output during the time that Jay was at the helm exposed me to so many directors and films that I never knew existed. And films that I knew and loved from VHS and cable were suddenly seen in a new light with stunning widescreen transfers and a wealth of bonus features. It was that newfound love and appreciation for those shiny plastic discs that brought me to HorrorDVDs.com originally and eventually helped shape my career.

Fortunately, I had the honor of meeting Jay about 15 years ago and we stayed in contact ever since. We would talk every couple weeks and my face would always light up when I’d pick up the phone and hear his voice. Jay was so humble and always so kind. He loved film and couldn’t wait to talk about the newest titles coming from CAV and the many labels he represented - labels like Synapse, Severin, Grindhouse and Mondo Macabro.

I was heartbroken to hear that Jay passed away suddenly this morning. I wish I could talk to him one more time to tell him just how much I admire him, respect him and appreciate his friendship. Since I can’t do that, I instead wanted to take the time to remember him here on HorrorDVDs. Without Jay, I don’t know if I would be the horror fan that I am today. His legacy will live on forever through all of those shiny plastic discs that we all know and love. Rest In Peace, Jay.

wago70, soxfan666, hots4 and 9 others like this.
  2. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

gobad2003 and Katatonia like this.
  3. Spacevis

Spacevis Well-Known Member

A nice contribution of someone who apparently did a lot behind the screens for us genre fans. I'm sorry you lost your friend... take care.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

R.I.P. - thanks for the Anchor Bay memories.

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Rest In Peace.

6. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

RIP. A pioneer in the cult/horror film world when it comes to physical media.

8. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

A big loss. The guy really laid the groundwork for the medium. It's safe to say without Anchor Bay there wouldn't be Shout!, Arrow, or any number of other psychical media labels that have been prominent in releasing genre titles over the last 15 years.

9. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

RIP :(, Anchor Bay introduced me many countless movies I've never seen before and helped shape my taste in horror movies. He'll be sorely missed.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Synapse Films' post on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/synapsefilms/photos/a.223878337640179/2465996586761665/

[​IMG]

And even today CAV has been a godsend for companies like Synapse, Mondo Macabro, Severin and more. Distributing titles that other corporations won't touch. So I don't think what people in the industry like May here are saying is an understatement.

So my hat off to Jay Douglas. I wish I'd known you better but I'm glad I know you now. R.I.P.

11. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

RIP

I remember Anchor Bsy being a pioneer back in the day, getting to see titles you'd never heard of, heard of but had never seen or shinny, widescreen representations of something you'd seen 10th gen via a pirate.

They really did pave the way for what we know today, and if he was so instrumental to this then I salute him and his enthusiasm for the scene and the medium.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  12. Dianabol5mg

Dianabol5mg New Member

Sad to hear. Sucks getting older. I remember when dvds started becoming a thing in '97. I couldn't believe I was buying horror movies on a CD(so convenient). Never bought them on VHS and yet these movies were also being packaged in a beautiful tin enclosure with movie stills and movie notes. And they were of movies I had never seen before, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie and The Beyond. Just up the road from Anchor Bay Entertainment(Troy, Michigan) we had this place called Media Play(some may remember) and they had every thing that ever came out of Anchor Bay. Couldn't wait for Tuesday. I miss those days