John Dies at the End (new Don Coscarelli film)

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

I wasn't crazy about the book. I had trouble staying interested in it while listening to the audiobook. I stuck it out and finished it, but probably would have rated it a 5 out of 10. I enjoyed the sequel a lot more and because of that I may revisit the JDATE book in 2013.

I did rent the movie. I would have rented it off Verizon Fios for $9.99 but they did not have the HD version. I instead used my bluray player and tried out Vudu for the first time, which streams through my player. They are offering a $5.99 credit so the HD version can be had for like $5 or $6, a little more reasonable. I can't believe they expect people to pay $10 for what is essentially a rental. I know it's in advance of the limited theatrical release but still...

Anyway, the movie was enjoyable enough. Fun. They changed the name of the dog and for some reason I always imagined the dog to be very small. The dog didn't really fit in the movie, though. They just didn't work that right. And the girlfriend (Amy, I think) was pretty minimal in the movie. Otherwise an enjoyable 100 minutes from Coscarelli. It was good to see Angus again, too. Knowing Don's past, I'm hoping there is tons of extended footage and we get a director's cut on bluray.

I'm still hoping his next will be a Phantasm V but perhaps we are all dreaming about that. I'm not sure I would even be opposed to a remake of Phantasm, considering how dated the original looks these days.

2. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

By the time Don makes Phantasm V will Angus Scrimm even be alive? It's now or never he needs to make Phantasm V and be done with it!!

3. booper71

booper71 B-Zone on Roku

I usually spend $3.99 for a SD movie, or if I absolutely need HD I get the $5.99 one, the only time they are ten bucks or more is if they are not yet on bluray or still in theaters.
    I've been using pre-paid debits on the account for movie fests here.

4. booper71

booper71 B-Zone on Roku

I had ordered chinese food before watching this and being on the "soy sauce" didn't help me much here, but I did like the movie.

5. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Theatrical dates for those waiting:

http://www.magpictures.com/dates.aspx?id=b94c5b06-1566-439b-ae15-fa580e6ca8bc

Predictably, it's not hitting Baltimore. It seems like Magnolia Pictures releases skip this town completely and I usually have to drive to Philly if there's something I want to see. Ditto with THE ABCS OF DEATH.

Preorders are up for a 4/2 release.
    DVD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00B04NJE4
    Blu: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00B04NJCG

6. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the movie quite a bit, although my biggest complaint would be the lack of Amy. Her character arc was, for me, a huge part of the book and her developing a relationship with David. Now, I do understand certain characters (Jennifer in particular) were eliminated, and certain plot points either combined or removed completely for the shake of brevity, I still think it's a shame that Amy's character took a backseat, leaving so much out of context. (For those who didn't read the book, we learn why she only has one hand.) Other than that, I was entertained, the cast was incredible and so was some of the practical FX (not so much the digital ones.) Good for a watch, but I doubt I'll purchase it when it hits DVD or Blu-ray.

7. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Considering all the H Burroughs was on when he wrote that I dont know if that is a compliment or an insult?

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Just watched this last night and I agree. I thought as a film it worked and I enjoyed the hell out of it, being a ton of fun and I thought the leads captured Dave and John quite well. But of course having read the book a lot was truncated to make the 99 minute run time and was a bit disappointed that pretty much the whole middle of the book was condensed and combined considerably so. But that said, it serves the movie format and wasn't too much of a miss. My biggest peeve though, other than Amy's sideline status, was the changing of the dogs name from Molly to Bark Lee... Why? But overall I think it was a good fit for Coscarelli and for their small budget it's big on entertainment.

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It will be playing at my local art house theater, but I wonder if it will get a screening on HDNet Movies first. From that website Bruce H linked, every single one of those Magnet movies (with the exception of Compliance) was given a one-day showing on HDNet. The theater it's playing at here is not known for good digital presentations, and I highly doubt it will be on 35mm film.

10. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I didn't read the book, but based on the film alone, this was a lot of fun. Reminded me of Evil Dead 2, Dead Heat, Donnie Darko, and others. Definitely a whacked out movie, but doesn't reach the classic status of Phantasm or Bubba Ho-Tep.

11. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

looks like the dvd and blu-ray is coming out 4-2-2013

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

[​IMG]

Wow... that's some terrible graphic design that totally doesn't fit with the tone of the film at all, or the colour palette. Yikes! I actually think of Attack the Block when I see it, not John Dies... And what is with the modern design trend of names not matching up with faces?!? Is it that hard to do? Really?

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Ok so I saw this about a week ago and thought it started pretty good, but then it went nowhere. By the end I felt like no proper conclusion was given and wasn't sure what the story was trying to amount to in the first place. For a movie called John Dies at the End I was also puzzled as to why John didn't die at the end and furthermore there was no threat of him dying either.

Maybe I missed something but as it stands, good start, crap finish.

14. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I thought it was shit.

Started off solid and had to the potential to be a really fun flick but instead it just got really annoying and overly weird and ultimately frustrated the hell out of me in the end.

15. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It wasn't good enough to buy with that awful cover. If they decide somewhere down the line to trade up to the movie poster as they should have properly done, and cut the price in half at the same time, then I just may cave out of Don Coscarelli "completists" sake. I found it entertaining enough to revisit sometime down the line, but it isn't a high priority to buy just now.

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I thought it was good, and really didn't have many complaints, but it's really not one I'm in a hurry to go back and rewatch. It just didn't give me that absolute "I loved it!" vibe after the credits finished.

17. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

yeah I was a little disappointed with this film but it is still fun but nowhere close to the phantasm movies and bubba ho tep in terms of greatness

18. marcx

marcx Active Member

19. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I was disappointed with this film like many others. I'm glad I didn't buy it. It's up on Netflix now (with very nice quality). The CGI effects were terrible in many scenes and it reminded me of a syfy channel film. I agree with Zombie Dude that the title just doesn't make any kind of sense at all. Maybe the film is just so clever that I couldn't get it.

20. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I didn't care much for it either. I found it annoying. Kind of like Detention, where the movie thinks it's smarter than it actually is. Just random witty things happening for no apparent reason.