John Dies at the End (new Don Coscarelli film)

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Put me in the "annoyed" category as well. And also glad it was a Netflix rental.

This might be one of those movies like Repo Man, where I'll have to catch it on a pay channel, and only be half-assed watching to pick it up. Sort of like those old "Magic Eye" 3-D posters. If you look directly at it and focus, you can't see anything.

Or maybe it just sucked. I don't know.

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I enjoyed the ideas presented in the film, the mystery, the hallucinatory storytelling, and the characters. But I also kept waiting for the big reveal to make sense of it all.

...then there wasn't a reveal. :eek2: And yet, I did like it and I had a good enough time along the ride that I won't discourage others from giving it a watch. I don't need to own it, but I'd watch it again to see if I can make more sense of it.

3. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I read the book first and felt the same way- it started off pretty interesting and I liked the characters, but eventually it just loses it. From what I understand the author just started writing and posting chapters on-line, people started following it, so he kept on adding to it until it ended up being a novel's worth. That might explain why there's a lack of resolution or a lack of explanation for some of the phenomena that occur. I think he was just wingin' it and not necessarily focusing on creating cohesive, well thought-out novel.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well no one else has come up with an explanation so I say we are cleaver ;)
    I found Detention amusing. It was way better than this anyway.
    There you go. I never knew this was based on a book.