Just Got a New TV and Now...

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by DrHerbertWest, Feb 21, 2009.

1. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

It probably does but really, we don't watch a lot of TV so I'm not extremely worried about getting beautiful quality as opposed to normal reception right now. I am mainly focused on hooking up the DVD player and XBox as appropriately as I can, haha.

2. Roo

Roo Member

Totally understand. I think you'll really enjoy the new TV. It'll bring new life to your old DVD's and the Xbox will look incredible. :banana:

3. DrHerbertWest

Haha thanks! It'll totally rock as long as I can just figure out what cable I want! :)

4. Roo

Roo Member

If you go with monoprice, I'd get the following.

3ft HDMI

6ft HDMI

5. DrHerbertWest

OK, NEW INFORMATION...

Just discovered our Harmon-Kardon receiver does not have any HDMI inputs or outputs. That's what we use for audio/video on our DVD player and XBox. Is there anything I can get that will allow us to use HDMI cables? If so, will the quality be the same as a direct hook up? Egads...

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'd say just use the HDMI to carry the video signal, and use a separate audio cable (coax or optical) to carry the digital audio to the receiver.

My DVD player does not have HDMI, so I use component outs with the audio on a coax cable to the digital in of the receiver. For the U-Verse box, I have HDMI out going to the plasma, but the optical out goes to the receiver.

In a lot of ways, this gives you multiple options. You can watch TV or a movie with the TV's sound if you don't feel like cranking up the Harmon Kardon. Then when you really want to get into a movie, fire up that sound system.

7. horrorlover

horrorlover Active Member

I bought an HDMI cable on amazon for $7 and it seems to work perfectly. I forget the name, as I threw the box away, but it was some company I had never heard of before. I can't understand why some cables are so expensive.

8. DrHerbertWest

So basically I could leave everything the way it is but unplug just the video component cable in exchange for plugging in the HDMI?

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

yup!

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yes and no... Originally I just used rabbit ears and that worked perfectly fine. It's so easy and cheap to do and it's noticeably better. I know "this is fine" but you've got HD, you might as well utilize it especially when it won't cost you a penny just to check it out some day. Keep it in mind.

Also if you have Comcast there is a digital signal of all the local channels, including the ones Comcast doesn't keep in their listings, on the cable line itself. I would recommend running both the cable box and a second cable line to the TV. This way you do get what you pay for. :D

For example NBC locally has a 24hr weather channel that I like to watch, but Comcast doesn't list it. I like to watch that over the Weather Channel because it's literally just city after city of local weather data, not "On the 8s" but every second.

11. Yeah, I got one frm a Best Buy here about two and three months ago, right before Christmas for myself, and my up-convert theater system player is so cool. Love how my DVDs look on it ...

12. DrHerbertWest

Ok, so an update... I plugged the HDMI cable into the DVD player and plugged the other end into the TV. I did NOT unplug the component cables and now I see I can either watch this on Input 1 (which shows as 480p) or on HDMI 1 (which shows as 1080i HD). I paused a DVD and flipped back and fourth between both inputs but don't see a large difference between the two. Is that the way it is or is having both plugged in at the same time detracting from the quality? Since they are 2 separate inputs, I figured it wouldn't matter.

13. DrHerbertWest

*bump bump a re-bump*

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I wouldn't expect a major difference. The resolution on the DVD is fixed. Upconverting may make the signal more friendly to the HDTV, but it won't add anything that isn't already there. Personally, I think if you just go with the progressive scan, you'll get standard definition DVDs to look about as good as they can.

HDMI just makes it all a lot less messier cable-wise. Now, if it were a Blu-Ray player...