Kate Hudson in The Skeleton Key

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Mar 17, 2005.

1. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I just got back from it as. Had no intention of seeing it, but after the shitty service caused us to miss the first 5-10 minutes of what we were there to see, we decided to make it a double feature. :cool:

Anyway, it was much better than I had thought it could be. Kinda slow, but a great ending that I honestly didn't see coming (I'm good at calling out shit like this, but this one blindsided me).
    I never felt that it had cut or affected to be rated PG-13 either. Definitly worth a look.

2. dmeister

dmeister New Member

I thought the implications of the ending were even more disturbing...

For example, knowing that the couple had unknowingly hanged and torched their own children.

dmeister

3. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    Saw this last night. Wasn't great but it didn't suck, and the ending was unusual for a hollywood flick. Kate Hudson did a good job in the leading role

4. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I liked the Hoodoo elements and the location. New Orleans and Louisiana in general is a cool place. The ending itself was good, too, and unexpected. What I didn't care for so much was
    the whole action movie aspect of the ending. It was the only unintentionally funny moment of the film and caused it to lose its impact, in my opinion. Subtlety is lost on Hollywood but I suppose it's because people find it boring. That's undoubtably the reason why Exorcist-Dominion turned into Exorcist-Beginning. Pretty sad.

5. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

Yes I did bust out laughing towards the end at a few parts involving Gene Rowlands. In fact I did like the movie in general, but the funny parts were definately the highlight.

6. scrybe

scrybe Guest

I'll be honest with you guys. Anything that's not a remake or sequel to something almost automatically get as a star from me.
    However, I kinda hoped that this would be somewhat SCARIER. I liked it, the whole Hoodoo thing got major points from me, New Orleans settings I always love (I grew up near there).
    Overall, it could have been a lot worse.
    Maybe Hollywood's on the right track with this one.

7. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Wasted potential. Not a terrible film by any means, but could have been much better.

I did like some of the shots, very well done, with a creepy feel to them. I am a sucker for voodoo and New Orleans as a setting in films. There is a shot straight out of The Beyond if you look closely.

Hudson was decent. I didn't go in with very high expectations to begin with and the ending was kinda eh, it wasn't nearly as surprising as I thought it might be. Don't get me wrong, there are a few things this film has going for it, I just thought it got away from what could have been quite an interesting film.

The trailer for the Exorcism Of Emily Rose looks pretty interesting. I'll have to check that one out.

8. Enutz666

Enutz666 Member

Just go back seeing it & loved it. Anyone else creeped out by the music? Already ordered the soundtrack, think it will make an great addition to my halloween party, anyone know where else I could grab some hoodoo music? Or even some chants like in Evil Dead.

9. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Man guys why you put so much hype for this movie?

1st off this movie is not scary or even considered horror. The movie is really boring,,, and yes the end was true what you said.... But I wasted 103 minutes on nothing. Ending was the only thing good b/c is was not a good ending by all means.

I 4 one was a little upset about it. Slow and not scary

10. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

The film does have a few things going for it:
    1. Great setting (Louisiana is such a cool place)
    2. Hoodoo is practiced for real and it's pretty creepy
    3. The soundtrack was pretty good. "The Conjure of Sacrifice" is awesome.
    4. Kate Huddson
    5. Cool ending, whether you see it coming or not. I'm talking about the implications of the ending, actually.
    6. Kate Huddson
    7. Some people, me included, love horror that takes it's sweet time. Atmoshere is the best thing about this movie.
    9. And it has Kate Huddson in it.

OK, the movie isn't a classic but that doesn't mean it's total shit either.

11. Noto

Noto Guest

Well I hate to say it, but after seeing horror films since I was in diapers I never expect these films to be scary. I therefore never judge them based on it.

What I liked about Skeleton Key is that it adheres to its own rules, and there is no grey area for said rules. The story fits, and within the boundaries of its own rules, is completely plausible. It unravels over time, which is great because it isn't a bore that ends with a scene of complete exposition. This alone gets good points with me. But I actually thought Kate did a fine job. The atmosphere is perfect, and there are shots that are completely amazing. The un-Hollywood ending is a total plus.

Simply a good strong movie. I will definitely pick this up.

12. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Not fair... you said Kate Hudon 3-times
    :lol:

13. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

checking this out tonight. Like the sound of it.

14. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Well, just returned...not at all impressed. The "ending" was kind of lame and I saw it coming a mile away. Also, lots of needless red herring. Best thing about the film? Some nice panty shots of Kate. :sperm:

15. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Hmm, I liked it a lot. I didn't think I would because I don't think Kate Hudson is a very strong actress. However, that was kind of muted here by not having her play someone from New Orleans (which would have been a disaster) and by the strong performances of Gena Rowlands and John Hurt. Just stand next to them and voila, you look better. Gena Rowlands was especially great I thought. It is always nice to see real actors in films of this kind.

The story was slow to build, but the setting was so beautiful and atmospheric that I was more that willing to let them take their sweet time telling the story. I really felt like I was in another world, and I liked said world so I was in no hurry to go anywhere.

Of course, in slow building stories, a lot depends on the ending, and I thought this one was quite good. Inherently surprising? Not really, but twisty endings usually just piss me off anyway. This was still an interesting and complete ending to the movie that I didn't think cheated me or itself in anyway. The movie told a complete story and, in doing so, avoided most of the things that piss me off about movies. There was no fake girl power, quippy out of place dialogue, forced happiness, out of place rap or metal music, lame social commentary, horrible CGI, or black and white judgements on people...nothing like that. Hence, I think they did a good job with this.

On the downside, seeing it after Hurricane Katrina was more than a bit depressing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2005
  16. onebyone

onebyone Guest

DVDAnswers just posted the DVD information:

The artwork is at the site. I don't really like it, but I think it is better than the theatrical poster. This one is coming out sooner than expected. It is almost like they didn't expect it to have a decent theatrical run.

17. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Yeah that cover art kind of sucks. Too messy and not very eye-catching. Oh well, I'll at least rent this one when it comes out. Maybe even buy it. I didn't see it in theatres but did see the start of it and it got me interested in seeing it.

18. Luna

Luna Guest

I saw this last night and I have to agree with Notoriousaurus and onebyone. I was pleasantly surprised by this movie, especially since I am not crazy about Kate Hudson. That didn't matter in this movie at all, as she didn't try to do anything obviously out of her abilities. It had tons of atmosphere, so thick I felt like swatting the mosquitos away. What dmeister said about the
    children being hanged and torched
    was an interesting turn of events for sure -- just one of the things I appreciated about the movie. Even when I'd only seen the trailer, I thought the music would be a strong point in this movie, and sure enough it was. It really helped to set the tone, which is a welcome change from some of the more recent Hollywood movies I've seen. I'd love to get this soundtrack, just for "The Conjure of Sacrifice" alone! All in all, I found myself quite impressed, as it never tried to be too hip or "clever". It was more of a classic horror story than I've seen come out of Hollywood in quite a while. The ending was excellent, I thought... a perfect ending, really.

Too bad about the DVD cover art though. Did we really need to see Kate Hudson looking at a key to illustrate the title? Are we that dumb? That cover is pretty damn lazy. I liked the poster art Billy posted much better. It's a good thing they kept it (plus wheelchair) for the soundtrack.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2005
  19. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I just got back from seeing this, and I thought it was awesome. Very atmospheric and well paced. The story was very involving, and definately not what I expected. I went in expecting some 'Ring' type ghost story, but was pleasantly suprised with what it was and became. Good acting all around, especially from Sarsgaard and the old lady, and I loved the fact that this didn't rely on special effects or anything like that. Definately a good change from what Hollywood is usually/always putting out.

Check it out, I recomend it. 4 out of 5.

20. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Just saw this one.

If Hammer were still making movies, they'd look and feel like this one. No it's not terribly special, nor scary. And the whole thing wraps up in a TV Movie kind of way. But dammit, the journey is quite a bit of fun, and I had a good time watching it.

Dunno - I think it's a good flick. It just goes to show that you don't really need originality in the story line - it's in the way it's done. This film is quite well made, and the location rocks. That carries it through derivative periods, imo.

I liked it.