Kevin Greutert (Saw VI) set to direct Paranormal Activity 2!

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatchetwarrior, Jan 19, 2010.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

So now De Palma's the front runner to direct? Chaos!

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/02/25/paranormal-activity-2-to-be-helmed-by-brian-de-palma/

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

as i read the article i did a double take when the author suggested that some people might not know who depalma is...huh? i mean....huh? then i realized where i was: mtv. of course. :rolleyes:

i still haven't seen the original paranormal activity, but i find it a little unlikely that either of the other two potential directors they mentioned (greg mclean and brad anderson) would downgrade themselves to make a cash-grab sequel.

and depalma? id say thats about as likely as them getting orson welles.

3. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

L M A O x 10

4. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly!

5. Queen B

Queen B Guest

Still don't "get" all of the hype behind the first film...

6. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

My thoughts exactly!

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

While I'd love to see DePalma working in the genre again, I don't understand how this is a fit at all. The man's become known for his meticulous attention to shot structure and mise-en-scene, so how that makes him a front runner for a film that embodies the handheld found footage aesthetic of ACTIVITY I don't know. I don't doubt that there is craft in making handheld footage believable and scary, but it just doesn't cry DePalma-esque to me, even if you look at his more experimental early work like GREETINGS.

8. philxus

philxus New Member

:sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

9. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

DePalma??? Haha. No. DePalma is known for great camera work and very cool editing. Not sure why anyone would hire him, or any other remotely talented director, to do a movie that's basically security camera footage.
    I'd say Paramount should just have a grip or someone from craft services handle "direction" and spend their money on a clever marketing scheme, that's how the first one made all it's money.

I didn't hate Paranormal Activity, it was cute. I'm just afraid Hitchcock is breakdancing in his grave right now yah know?

10. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Hah, Rhett pretty much said what I said. I should learn to read :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

this is the kind of job they need to give to an unknown. its already got a built in audience, and a low budget, so its guaranteed to make at least some profit. by hiring an unknown, they dont need to spend a lot of money on his/her salary, while at the same time giving someone a chance to prove themselves. if it goes off like a rocket, they've got a safe way to test a potential talent.

12. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Just got back from seeing this, and despite what many reviews are saying, definitely not as good as the first one. Now, there are some effective scenes such as
    the kitchen bit where everything busts open at once, the attack on the dog and Christy getting thrown around the house
    That said, what they try to do here creates plot holes within the first film, and I didn't care for where this one tried taking the story of the first either.

The asshole husband sends the demon to Katie to save her sister and his son? No, sorry, not in my book. In the first, the demon's intentions are painted as almost romantic towards Katie. Also, the way she describes her past experiences there, it's clear to me that the events as a kid happened to her. In this one, they try and say her sister suffered the brunt of what occurred. Peli's film paints a far more intriguing situation to me than some cliche deal with the devil, demonic Rumplestiltskin kind of thing this one has going on.

That said, looking at this one as strictly non-canon, it's solid enough. And that's what I intend to do, look at it as non-canon, because it would just effect my enjoyment of the first too much otherwise. I prefer the slit-throat ending to that one anyway. This just doesn't work in connection to the first for me, and I didn't think it was as strong on it's own merits either. The only thing Paranormal Activity 2 has over the first is Katie in a bikini. :sperm:

13. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Loved it, as I did the first one... although I personally prefer the original. The first one had a much tighter structure, for one thing and a overwhelming sense of uneasiness. I don't think you completely get to know the family as you did Katie and Micah in the first one. I also found some of the editing a bit jarring. Scenes skip in the middle of dialogue, and characters jump around from one spot to another within seconds of discussing something. This may have occurred in the first one, although I honestly don't remember it. If it did, it wasn't to the extent of being noticeable.

Although some of the jumps this time around are truly great. I have honestly never heard screams as loud in a packed theater as I did last night. Bravo, filmmakers.

Also, I'm kind of iffy on
    the whole explanation for why the entities are targeting this particular family. Seemed like a reach... but the beauty of it is that if they want, viewers can just write it off as bullshit someone read on the Internet.

Oh and,
    the ouija board scene spelling "pussy" had my theater literally roaring. Great moment of comic relief.

The ending... wow... didn't see that coming. Very cool.

If you love the first one, you'll find much to love here. If you didn't like the first one, this one probably won't hold your attention, either.

14. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Does the camera get eaten again this time?

15. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster Member

I saw it last night and enjoyed it.

I can kind of see where Cujo108 is coming from regarding the mythology, but I don't agree; I like where they took the story and how the two movies relate to each other.

16. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I posted that right after I got home from the 10 PM screening, so it was more of a raw reaction than anything and it may have come off as more negative than I intended. I posted a more detailed review here once the film had time to sink in. I'm rather conflicted. On one hand, I loved it as it's own thing, but on the other, I have a hard time accepting it as canon in regard to the first, as I just see that haunting as totally different than how it's portrayed here.
    It seemed very personal, and yes, even as if there was a romantic side to it. Having the father here pawn the demon off on Katie just feels wrong in that context to me. If it were so personal, one has to believe it would be with Katie to begin with. I don't know, the motives for the hauntings just don't connect for me. I also think it bothered me more on a personal level of my own to have Katie victimized not only by a demon, but by her selfish asshole of a brother-in-law as well. What they came up with certainly is clever. I give them full credit for that. I think very highly of the sequel. Just as it's own thing and not for the connections to the first. I'm not holding how I feel about the mythology against it, just stating my own take which probably sounds more like rambling than anything!

17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I love Mark Kermode.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00br7mw

I'll probably eventually check it out as I'll likely be reviewing it for a radio show I co-host, but my opinions are pretty much the same in regards to my feelings for the first flick, it's all just a giant jump scare setup which is just a cheap way to get anyone to jump without developing any real terror. And from the sounds of it, "Part Duh" is more the same.

18. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster Member

I generally agree that jump scares can be a cheap way to "get heat," to borrow a wrestling term. However, I think PA is an exception to the rule in the sense that they're set up so well, plus I think the movie does a good job of drawing you into the world and building genuine suspense. There's a bit more to it than chair jumpers (which are really used no differently here than kills are in a body count movie). It doesn't really scare me (but what does these days?), but I dunno, to back up what Wes said--it seemed to scare the hell out of the audience well enough.

19. rhett

rhett Administrator

So what do you do when you put thousands of dollars into a home video surveillance system and start experiencing weird, violent happenings? Ignore the footage completely, apparently. I found questionable logic in the first film (how they just blindly listen to the psychologist dude rather than GTFO) but the scares were done well enough and different enough that it really worked. In the second, it's a lot less plausible, especially for the stupid final act (tucking your wife back into bed after demons have cut the power, flung people around, decimated a dog, dragged people into the basement, etc. etc.) and while they at least didn't fall back to the same bedroom cam of the first, the kills still seem old hat at this point and just more of the same. This one tries to be bigger with the jump scares, and save for maybe one or two scares, being bigger makes the scares actually less potent than the small squinters from the first movie.

Trying to tie this film in with the first was a bad decision, too, since they essentially give motive to the paranormal activity, rather than keeping it as a scary, inexplicable force. Not only that, but the
    footage from the beginning of PA inserted right before the final night
    completely threw the pacing off and felt more tacked on than anything.

I will say, though, that introducing a baby and a dog in this one is pretty effective, since the two can really sell the paranormal aspect more than adults could. Seeing the dog tilt his head or stand alert, or the baby to just zone out or cry during the onset of some demonic happening felt largely real. Watching actors, you know it's just somebody playing pretend, but when it's something as untrained as a dog or a child, then it feels that much more authentic.

Overall, though, this sequel just reminded me that the structure and approach of the first film really only works once. This second time just felt too familiar, like a comedian doing an old joke. There's still something there, but the punchline no longer means anything. Pass.

20. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I liked it as much as the original. Plenty of creepy moments throughout.