Last Horror movie to blow you away.

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

In another thread I discussed how À l'intérieur floored me like no film since the Blair Witch Project. I would say Haute Tension also did, but even though I had no problem with the ending, it still kind of diffused some of it's momentum and therefore overall effect.

What is the last horror film that did that to you?

2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

It may sound redundant, but The Descent. I found the characters VERY likable and therefore I cared about them in the situation. Not many horror film characters do that for me. Great scares as well.

3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Agreed. The Descent is a great contemporary horror film with likable characters, perfect setting, and creepy scares. I don't know the version of the ending I saw (theatrical or international), but it was excellent.

The ending I saw finished with the lead waking up in the cavern and realizing she was going to die.

4. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I thought The Descent was pretty good but nowhere near close to "blowing me away." I get it, it's a good movie.

Not too many movies make me stand up and champion them. I can honestly say that seeing Grindhouse in theaters was the best film experience I've ever had, mainly because of the type of movie we were watching, the comments yelled from the audience, all of the "haha" and "oooh!" sounds coming from them, etc. It was truly the best time I had in a theater.

Movie-wise, watching Hatchet made me smile all the way through. As I said in the Hatchet thread, movies like this and Abominable made me giddy because they're made by people who clearly love the genre and are trying to make quality films.

5. booper71

booper71 B-Zone on Roku

Camp Cuddly Pines Powertool Massacre

6. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

"Inland Empire," "Grindhouse," "Halloween," and "Eastern Promisses" blew me away. I realize that "Halloween" is mostly regarded as crap on here but I loved it. It's been a pretty decent year and I hope that "La Terza Madre" will make it even better.

7. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Isolation was excellent. The Last Winter was really good too. Oh! And Broken was really good.

8. geeare

geeare Guest

yes, again, The Descent

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

are you old enough? :lol:

10. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Blown away? I guess lately I've at least been really impressed with Wind Chill and 28 Weeks Later. Not quite blown away though. If I had to go with that reaction I guess Pelts by Dario Argento.

11. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Last horror movie to blow me away? Um... there's been some good ones this year, but none of 'em truly blew me away. 28 Weeks Later was a worthy follow-up to the first one. It had my full attention. Not once did I look at my watch, even in the more insipid moments. Grindhouse was a fun experience.
    Revisiting older horror movies is a different story. From Beyond nearly knocked my socks off with its garish color scheme and wild creature effects. For some reason, I was very "cold" to this movie back then. Now, I think it's right up there with Re-Animator. Glad I gave this one another shot!

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

The last film that blew me away was The Host.
    Pan's Labyrinth gets a honorable mention.

13. Luna

Luna Guest

Echoing the 28 Weeks Later sentiment... I watched the entire movie wide-eyed, practically biting my nails. Good stuff.

14. JIMX1975

JIMX1975 Member

A couple of the After Dark movies really stood out for me, Gravedancers and Penny Dreadful.

15. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

The Descent, even though I've seen a few other really good horror films since then. None of them, however, have completely blown me away.

That said, I still haven't seen the two Grindhouse films and I'm well prepared to be blown away by Bug next week! :D :D :D

Oh, and Interior sounds pretty awesome as well! :D I'm all giddy about horror these days. There's some heavy cool stuff coming out!

16. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

For me, it was undoubtedly Friedkin's Bug. A return to form if there ever was one.

17. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Bug blew something, it wasn't me away though.:eek:

I'd say the Descent as well. That just had me extending my elbows to make sure I wasn't trapped and even a couple jump scares made me jump. That shit never happens!

Planet Terror was close, but I was sitting there wide-eyed with a huge grin throughout that. Nothing scary, but just cool beyond words. Loved every second and will have to get the extended version.
    Death Proof, notasomuch, although I may get that tomorrow anyway cuz I'm a sucker for exclusive packaging and bonus discs. Hopefully the suck-ass BB in town will at least get that in stock, I'm really not going to drive too far for this.

18. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

yeah I'll have to go with the Descent as well. I dont think anything I have seen since as come close to blowing me away, though I am quite looking forward to the 28 Weeks Later dvd.

19. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Hatchet, just loved it, everything about it. Rob Zombie's Halloween really dampened my spirits but days later I watched Hatchet and it totally restored my faith in the genre :D.

20. Ecstatica

Ecstatica Member

Hatchet!
    I can't wait to see it again, what an awesome movie.