Leviathan (Hellraiser I & 2 Documentary)

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatchetwarrior, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if anyone has heard about this, but with the popularity of Crystal Lake Chronicles and Never Sleep Again, it doesn't surprise me that other production companies would jump on the bandwagon and start producing comprehensive documentaries about other popular horror franchises. Here is the low down what to expect:

Sounds good enough, I'm a big fan of the first two films (the original Hellraiser being one of my favorite horror films of all time) so I will be keeping an eye out for this one.

[​IMG]

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'll check this out. Had it covered all of the films, I'd buy it.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The first two films rank among my favorite horror films ever, so I'm psyched about this.

4. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I'll pick it up though I wish they would cover all the films.

5. rift

rift New Member

Yeah 1 and 2 have already been covered ad naseum.

Now a Hellraiser: Bloodline box set with the original cut, commentaries from both directors, etc I'd buy in a heart beat.

6. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I agree, it should cover ALL the films, even the crappy DTV ones. Even if most of that stuff is relegated to the special features. (NSA and CLM have enough extended interviews to cover stuff that wasn't in the main doc pretty well.)

7. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure there IS a doc coming out that cover ALL the films. I think Clive even has a hand in it. I'm pretty sure he designed some new Cenobites exclusively for the doc!

8. Buechlers_beard

Yep. Here's some info.

Unearthed: The Hellraiser Saga

...Clive is contributing to this comprehensive documentary project on the Hellraiser series. First news of this broke in February 2010, followed the next month with news of Clive's involvement, including sharing the creative process of designing a brand new cenobite. Stefan Hutchinson is directing with our good friend Ryan Rotten on writing duties and shooting apparently got underway the following April. No news since then, save a cryptic tweet from Ryan in July 2012...
    Ryan Rotten : "Camelot Entertainment Group and MasiMedia are in production on Unearthed: The Hellraiser Saga - an exhaustive documentary on the Clive Barker-created franchise that thrives across various mediums.
    "Stefan Hutchinson is directing and I'm writing this beast of a project that will run about 90 minutes but will contain hours and hours of bonus features that delve into the Hellraiser films, comics and more.
    "Today, we're happy to announce that Clive Barker is involved in the project and creating a new Cenobite for the documentary. Being Barker's first Cenobite in over a two decades to make it on film, this retrospective will include the complete transformation of a Cenobite from conception to form."

Barker Creating Cenobite for Hellraiser Documentary

By Ryan Rotten, Shock Till You Drop, 16 March 2010

Anthony Masi (Producer) : "This retrospective will be different than the ones we have done for other horror franchises, because the creator, Clive, will be imbuing the project with original and exclusive artwork that will help tell our story. This is something everyone is excited about. Clive's work in the horror genre shares a unique vision that has many complex layers."

Barker Creating Cenobite for Hellraiser Documentary

By Ryan Rotten, Shock Till You Drop, 16 March 2010

Stefan Hutchinson (Director) : "When I was originally thinking about how to approach the material, I came up with the idea of doing it almost as a narrative - as a character explores the universe, we do so with him and find out at the same time as he does. I wanted the character to follow the path of Doctor Channard in the second film - somebody who becomes a Cenobite. At this time, I was simply going to sketch out a new design myself, because I really didn't think we'd get that level of involvement from Clive. Anyhow, Ryan approached him about doing it and he was all for it, which is kinda amazing!"

9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

is that the final cover? Yeesh.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

In the same vein, one of my favorite supplements of the last little while was the interview on the Scream Factory BD for The Howling where the producer talked for a few minutes on each of the sequels. I often find the stories about the least successful or most obscure entries in a series to be the most interesting.

11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I kind of agree. For example, out of all of the interviews and coverage for the Friday the 13th films, I found Rob Hedden's recollections of his original plans for Part VIII and the constant road blocks from executives he came up against to be the most compelling. I feel Kevin Yagher's recollections of Bloodline's production would have a similar impact.

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I also really enjoyed that interview. With franchises as long-lasting as F13, HELLRAISER, HOWLING, ANOES, et al., the original entries have been dissected so many times on previous special features while the later entries are given the brush-off, especially when there had been friction between filmmaker and studio. I hope that David Fincher will spill all of his beans about ALIEN3 before he dies.

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

14. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

15. Katatonia

16. Katatonia

...and the pre-orders are now shipping.

Also, "The Julia 0-Card is now SOLD OUT!" (Slip Cover variant)

17. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Looks like this dvd is going to be stacked out, and 6 hours of footage! Defiantly looking forward to this one ever more now.

18. Buechlers_beard

Mine arrived yesterday. Now I just need to find the time to watch it all lol

19. Franco

Franco Weekender

But why DVDs and not BRs?

20. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Just checked out the website. They want £22.99 plus £5 shipping for DVDs. That's about $45. :lol: Pfft. Fuck that. Made that decision nice and easy.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015