Limited Horror Movie Posters - Halloween by Tyler Stout 4/15/2021

Discussion in 'General' started by ImmortalSlasher, Apr 13, 2021.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I've started a few limited horror poster topics around here. Some with interest like the Suspiria poster, others without. I figured I would just make one topic and update the title if something notable comes out.

This week we have a Halloween poster by Tyler Stout. People love this guy's artwork. I'm mixed. But this release has a timed version so if people want one of his posters they can easily get it this Thursday.

The artwork has too much Myers, Laurie, and Loomis for me. Not enough October Halloween environment. I haven't finished listening to his interview but he mentioned difficulty getting likeness rights early on. However, I'm still thinking about this one. Many of his posters go for a lot when they sell out.

Normal Timed Version

halloween-poster-tyler-stout-regular.jpg

Variant Limited Version

halloween-poster-tyler-stout-variant.jpg

More information here.

https://collider.com/halloween-poster-tyler-stout/

Katatonia, sinister and X-human like this.
  2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I like the "style" but I agree. Too much Loomis.

The second one down should have been it. No more. Plus the top Loomis looks odd the way holding the gun.

Not to mention, both guns are drawn completely different. Neither was the gun he had in the movie. But that's me just being picky. :p

ImmortalSlasher and Katatonia like this.
  3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Not feeling this poster. Looks a little too messy.

othervoice1, Katatonia and Copyboy like this.
  4. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Totally agree. It reminds me of these plain black and white posters they sold at Toys R Us when I was a little kid. They came with thin markers and you were supposed to color them in yourself. I thought they were stupid because they always had WAY too much going on.

baggio, Zombie Dude and Katatonia like this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Haha, yeah it has a colouring book feel to it. For me, even the art style looks too basic. Plus I'm also not a fan of the same characters being used multiple times.

6. ImmortalSlasher

This is actually one of his least busy designs. All of his film posters so far.

http://www.tstout.com/film

I just finished watching his long interview.

It's worth a listen if you like posters. I think this came down to not getting all the character likeness rights. I wish he just passed on Halloween because of that. He could have made a better poster with the other two girls and the kids. He mentioned that he would like to do Predator but also the same issue I believe with all the characters.

A lot of people just want a Tyler Stout Halloween poster though so this is it. I want a good Halloween poster. And until they get all the actors on board I guess I will just be unofficial releases. But I haven't seen a good unofficial one yet either. I'll probably pass on this Halloween poster. I'll decide tonight. He teased that a Fury Road poster is coming. Also he wants to finish the Marvel movies. Which I assume he just means the big main films. So I would want a chance a those if the posters are good.

7. Zombie Dude

Had a quick flick through some of those other posters and yeah, this style is way too busy for my liking. They mostly did look a lot better than this Halloween one though.

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  8. ImmortalSlasher

People love that style. He has a following and high value on a good number of his early posters. But they were also probably artificially limited too. A bit due to the early nature of the official screenprint poster market. And also because of a combination of companies putting poster printing numbers in place and Mondo wanting something to definitely sell out. Take The Thing as one of his most popular posters.

https://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/77886

210 on the normal edition, 65 on the variant, and some artist proofs. People love looking at this stuff like early pick stocks. The Thing was released at $30 retail. Recent sold are all over $2000. I don't think this happens anymore as most companies are wary about pissing off customers with limited runs on popular items. Remember what happened with Waxwork Records The Thing vinyl soundtrack.

I guess it could still happen on a low run metal poster. Tyler Stout talked about how those are difficult to produce because of the chemicals or something. I know I have a foil or metallic Wonder Woman movie poster, not even full metal that had a smell I couldn't believe when I purchased it. I had to air that one out for a while. Pretty poster though.

9. Zombie Dude

I find it so interesting that his work is highly popular. Shows how subjective art can be. To me it looks like vomit on a sheet.

Copyboy likes this.
  10. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Browsing through some of his other posters I suddenly realized I was desperately trying to find Waldo.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  11. Zombie Dude

That's hilarious. I thought the same thing! :p

12. ImmortalSlasher

The timed Halloween poster ended up with an edition size of 2,710. That's a pretty good number.

Shows the interest in the artist's work. When he was doing posters for Mondo the editions were barely getting over 1000 for the normal and variant. That's what was pissing people off when you have excess people and flippers trying for posters and not enough available. Plus the automated bots on the site. Timed editions are so much better and not that artificial limited stuff.