Lionsgate November Horror Blu-rays

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by fceurich39, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Cujo should take priority over MBV, a slasher that gets less impressive with each viewing. :p Hell, I haven't even gotten around to viewing the unrated cut of that one yet.

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

Neither have I, which is really bad. If I don't watch it now I may as well revoke my slasher historian card. Plus, I've already reviewed the Cujo: SE DVD.

Less impressive with every viewing? Always a man for controversy, aren't you Cuje!

3. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Hey, I actually used to be a big fan! At one point, I wanted it uncut more than any of the F13 flicks. How times have changed.

I forgot about the Cujo review.

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

You know what? I totally get what you're saying. I hadn't watched My Bloody Valentine in years (even when I bought the unrated DVD, I just watched the unrated scenes) but I bought the blu-ray last week and gave the entire film a watch after not having seen it in maybe 6 years. Maybe it's overhyped? I dunno, but I seriously didn't like it as much as I thought I did (or used to). It's all just really cheesy (especially the ending song) and the acting's really nothing special. The guy who played TJ is actually PAINFULLY bad at acting. I just remembered it being a lot better.

However, there are other slashers I've revisited recently that I was never really fond of, but found myself enjoying much more this time around. The Initiation and The Prowler are two examples. Sure The Prowler is rather slow, but the performances are actually very good (I was surprised, but this film features a bunch of pretty strong actors), the gore effects are phenomenal and the entire film has a really effectively creepy atmosphere. I also really love the ending, it's just perfect. The Initiation is still pretty strong in my books. Never liked the film before, but I recently gave it a watch and didn't think it was as bad as I remember it being.

Cujo, however, gets better with every viewing. Such an effective film. Same with Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter. I find myself loving that film more and more each time I watch it (although I don't watch it too often) I still think it's probably the best Friday the 13th (next to part 2) and definitely one of the greatest slashers ever made. Strong film.

~Matt

5. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

I have to call ditto on this one.

MY BLOODY VALENTINE is one of those movies I saw and kind of went "Meh, it was all right for what it was", and the more I saw it, the less I found to like about it.

When the unrated DVD came out, I was all over it because of the obvious hype that was behind those cut scenes. After I watched it, my thoughts were pretty much, "That was it? It's still not that great!".

I don't know, this is just one of those great big slasher films that never really appealed to me. Maybe it's a nostalgia factor for some people but the killings aside, this is a pretty poor film. I actually like the remake of this a lot more than the original. I mean, it's got Tom Atkins, it already has something going for it before the first frame begins.

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i usually just watch the original every valentine's day once a year. i like this movie alot more than some slasher filmsand compare to mainly the first F13TH. the kill scenes/uncut scenes are much better in my bloody valentine than friday the 13th's uncut scenes but overall friday the 13th wins as a very slightly better movie with mainly the music score and great shock ending

i also prefer the 3D remake to the original not by much but it would be if the my bloody valentine 3D ending was alot better

I decided to get the blu-ray of cujo that movie never gets tired and old. I can't stand movies with violence toward animals and this movie has never bothered me probably because cujo is so vicious i don't even see him as a dog in it i just wish since this is a republic/lionsgate blu-ray release is why they didn't incude the few extra scenes in the movie like on the republic vhs tape

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  7. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

I'm sitting here debating whether or not to order the blu's of cujo and MBV...... actually waiting for rhetts review. On Imbd there was a place who said it was barely un upgrade for MBV

8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i think the picture quality is alot better on both blu-rays

9. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I assure you, MBV is a huge A/V upgrade!! Even if you don't have an hdtv. The movie has aged well with me personally, I even still like the Gordon Lightfoot-ish jingle at the end credits. Perhaps bad acting is the way of life for blue collared mine workers, I thought they all did a fantastic, unrepeatable job. I did kinda like the new 3-D one, but it lacked the charm of the original. And of course, I was all over Cujo too.

10. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

ok both are good for repeat veiwings , I was thinking of detail in back ground and sound

I have a full HD Tv receiver with decoding for truhd, dts master etc

are these both region A/B/C?

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're all region A, B, C encoded.

~Matt

12. kiddvideo

kiddvideo New Member

Agreed!

After being semi-disappointed with Friday the 13th 2 and 3 on Blu I didn't hold out much hope for MBV to be a big improvement... I got it last night and was blown away.

13. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Disappointed with the Friday 13th Part 2 Blu? Really? I thought it was amazingly much better than the standard DVD.

14. rhett

rhett Administrator

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Friday the 13th 2? I thought it looked excellent on Blu-ray and a substantial upgrade from the old DVD's. I could understand feeling that way about the Friday the 13th 3 disc though.

16. cognitive77

cognitive77 Guest

Ha...I think I posted it over at CAG. I had found it elsewhere on another forum and posted it up at CAG.

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah really. Friday the 13th part 2 is probably one of the greatest DVD to blu-ray upgrades I've seen yet. It looks fantastic.

Maybe you meant the special features? Because they kinda sucked.

~Matt

18. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Oh yeah, a friend of mine wanted to see the movie a while back and we both had a laugh at how bad the guy playing TJ is. The fight scene between him and Axel comes off particularly poor. Overall though, the film nowadays just bores me more than anything.

The Initiation, on the other hand, has been one of my favorite slashers for years. I loved that one right off the bat, and it still holds up. In fact, I'm fairly certain Black Christmas is the only slasher I've watched more times than this one. A large part of why it works so well is the creepy mall setting. It's certainly unlike any mall I've ever been to. I'm big on The Prowler as well. I did used to think the middle of the film dragged pretty badly, but I've become more tolerant of it over the years.

19. rhett

rhett Administrator

By law every Canadian is required to enjoy My Bloody Valentine. It's like paying taxes...it's something everyone must do.

20. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

You tell 'em Guy.