Monster Squad and Night of the Demons 2 blu-rays from Olive films

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by fceurich39, Nov 30, 2012.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

thats just weird news about monster squad. i mean, i get that titles get passed around, and that this probably didn't sell gangbusters for lionsgate, so it might make sense for them to drop it. but that begs the question, why did they go to all the trouble of creating that great special edition only a few years ago? i'm certainly glad they did, but it just seems like a strange business move.

and night of the demons 2 in widescreen HD with commentary is very cool. i love how Olive does absolute barebones releases for virtually everything they release, but then throws in features for titles like this and the boogens. cult horror fans seem to be catching some nice breaks lately.

3. Jimmy S

Jimmy S New Member

I don't care for Monster Squad but I will certainly get Night of the Demons 2. Hope the first one will be release on blu too someday even if Anchor Bay owns it and aren't who they were anymore.

4. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Actually MONSTER SQUAD was one of the top selling titles for Lionsgate when it was released. I remember when it came out, it was outselling theatrical titles that week. Probably the only reason we saw a Blu Ray from them before they lost the rights.

5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

doesnt olive now have Night of the Demons 3??? i still have the paramount/republic vhs!

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well Monster Squad got a SE on DVD in 2007, the Blu-ray came out two years later. So it makes sense for Lionsgate to put those already made extras to use on a Blu-ray like Chris said. I own the DVD but not the Blu-ray, so I'll have to see if Olive comes up with an even better transfer. Dave gave it a B+ ranking so they'd literally have to ace this. Saying "remastered in HD" can mean a lot of things so we'll see.

It's great though that Olive taking chances with these, and others, all the same.

7. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Has it been confirmed that there will be a commentary on Night of the Demons 2? I never thought I'd see this film get the Bluray treatment but it does seem like there's somebody at Olive who's a major horror fan. These little cult movies are receiving better treatment than some of the better-known classics. Can't wait for Dr. Terror's House of Horrors.

8. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

I am excited about Night of the Demons 2; it's better than the original in my opinion.

9. Jimmy S

Jimmy S New Member

From the Fangoria article

"NIGHT OF THE DEMONS 2 will be presented in 1.78 anamorphic widescreen on the discs, with audio commentary by Trenchard-Smith and cinematographer David Lewis."

10. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I'll totally pick up the new NOTD 2 disc. Big fan.

11. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Night of the Demons 2 will be mine! Just wishing to get the first one on blu as well sometime in the near future

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Night of the Demons 2 on Blu-ray with commentary?! That's awesome news! :banana:

13. Demon

Demon Don't Fuck With Dolly!

Olive Films product is overpriced, good luck selling a $25 Monster Squad Blu-Ray we got for $6 from Lionsgate.

14. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

The LionsGate Blu is OOP. It's currently going for $50+ on Amazon.

I'll probably end up grabbing the new Blu. I only have Monster Squad on DVD at the moment...

15. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Importcds.com will likely have it for $15. It's where I have purchased the majority of the Olive Blu's. Shipping takes forever but if you order it through Amazon Marketplace it'll probably arrive sooner. Loving the new Monster Squad artwork - looks like something Shout Factory would do.

16. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

17. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Thanks! Pre-ordered both NOTD2 and Monster Squad. The lions hate version was amazing but the artwork was SO bad! who were they trying to appeal to? I'd rather have the film looking gorgeous and the art complimenting it.

18. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I do like the new Monster Squad artwork, fits the film nicely. Keep an eye out fro the old BD though. While I haven't seen one in a normal store forever, I picked one up at a pawn shop in August for $6. Thought I'd never have that chance again knowing the disc went OOP. Then I saw a copy at another pawn shop. Torn between ebaying or leaving it, I left it as the cover had creases. Plus that pawn shop was $10 for blu's. That would suck if all those extras are left behind, but great news on NOTD2!

19. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Another blu surprise from Olive Films -- it's Brian Trenchard-Smith's NIGHT OF THE DEMONS 2 (1994)! Six years after the demonically-possessed Angela splattered her Halloween party guests at the abandoned Hull House, her orphan sister and Catholic school cohorts decide to party down at the same damn spot. Naturally, Angela's revived, and performs a table dance scored by Morbid Angel. Seriously. Then there's a kung fu nun with a deadly ruler, basketball played with a severed head, and some gory meltdown FX courtesy of Steve Johnson and crew. An admittedly silly film, it's surprisingly a bit of fun; I haven't watched it in over 15 years and I still remember being traumatized by a scene involving The Brady Bunch girl's boobs. That's gotta mean something, right?

Besides the new HD transfer (the old Lionsgate DVD was pulled from a VHS-era tape master), Olive's new disc reportedly has a commentary with director Trenchard-Smith and cinematographer David Lewis.

Preorder:
    DVD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eASIN=B00AGKH4MG&linkCode=as2&tag=cinema09-20
    Blu: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eASIN=B00AGKHG06&linkCode=as2&tag=cinema09-20

Boring VHS trailer: http://youtu.be/CtUlWjJoK20
    Gory, spoiler-filled German trailer: http://youtu.be/32kEoP54gwM

[​IMG]

20. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I hope these come down in price. Mostly interested in Night of the Demons 2 but not for 20 something dollars.