Movies you used to love...

Discussion in 'General' started by Steel76, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Been thinking alot about how I just can´t stand many of my favorite movies series from 15 years back.

I used to love the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elmstreet series when I was a teenager, but now I can barely watch any of them. I can´t really understand anymore what made them so great to me.

Let´s take Friday the 13th, compared to a lot of other slashers from that era like The Prowler, My Bloody Valentine and the Burning (movies I STILL love) the Friday movies are just TOO damn stupid. Boring and flat characters, no story at all and absolutly no suspense. The first one is so amateurish it almost hurts, and the climax fight between Mrs Voorhees and the survivor is so damn laughable it turns into comedy.
    The only parts I can almost stand watching today is part 2 and 4, could be because those where the first I saw.

Same thing with the Freddy movies, only the original can keep me entertained today. I used to love part 3 and 4, but they are WAY to silly and just don´t do it for me anymore.

I first saw both the Friday and Nightmare when I was about 12-13 years old, never felt they were all that scary, but still something made me love them for years.

Compare this to other 70:s/80:s classics like "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", "Maniac", "The Thing", "Cannibal Holocaust", Fulci´s zombie movies, "Evil Dead" etc. that I love even MORE today in comparision.

I could never have dreamt about EVER gotten sick and tired of my beloved Friday and Nightmare movies as a kid ;)

Anyone else gotten so sick and tired of movies you used to love and cherish?

No offense to ANY of you who still love and worship the Jason and Freddy stuff!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  2. Weirdo

Weirdo New Member

"Terminator 2: Judgment day", "Commando", everything with Van Damm except "Hard Target" and "Cyborg". "Slaughter High", Sleepaway Camp sequels and many more.:)

3. Steel76

I always though Terminator 1 was a much better movie than T2. And even though T1 is the elder, I feel it has aged better than it´s "PG-13 style" sequel. Or maybe it´s because I hated the 90:s and the "Guns n Roses" crap on the soundtrack ;)

The sequel lacked the darkness and brutality that made the first one so damn good. The first is still on my top 10 list :)

Commando was okey but not in the same league as the awesome Predator and Conan the Barbarian :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I feel the exact same way about F13, the only one I can still watch is Zito's Final Chapter. In the Nightmare series, the original and New Nightmare are the only ones I can watch now.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

About 20 years ago I was super into David Lynch. Not so much anymore. Have to say that most of his films kind of annoy me now.

6. Anthropophagus

I agree, T1 is much better than T2. I really can't watch T2 anymore, find it boring and that bloody GNR song was played so much it drives me nuts now-"YOUUUUUUUUU Could Be Miny-innneee!!".

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i agree about T2. it now seems overly long, and completely lacks the edge of the first one. another movie i used to love but really grew out of is the crow. i guess it really appealed to the mope-y, angst-y teenager that i was.

8. Criswell

Criswell New Member

For me its a lot of the Hammer classics to be honest. Once Lee or Cushing are off screen......... gee these movies clunk along.

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

:eek:

I actually love the Hammer movies more now than ever. They are currently in a constant rotation in my Netflix que. I agree with those that are tired of T2. I too feel that it doesn't measure up with the original. I don't think I'll ever put NOES 5 or 6 on other than just to see the quality of the blu-ray if they are ever released.

10. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I agree with a lot of the the Van Damm, Arnold and Freddy movies. Actually, I just watched Universal Soldier on Blu Ray the other week and forgot how much I liked it - ha! I still love all the F13's. I'll watch parts 1 thru 4 until the day I die.

This happens with TV shows too. I used to love stuff like Three's Company and Cheers, but when I try to watch them now I turn it off within 5 minutes saying "what the hell did I see in these shows before?" :lol:

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Cheers is still my all-time favorite TV show. I can watch just about any TV show that was made in the 70's-80's.

12. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Man you guys are crazy about T2.

13. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. Of course, I've never been a big fan of the Friday or Nightmare series to begin with. I love the first two Friday's and the first Nightmare on Elm Street. Other than that, I don't own any of the others on dvd/blu-ray. I feel the reason that Texas Chainsaw, The Thing, etc...are more of your favorites now is because of the character development. The Friday & Nightmare series, with the exception of the three I menitoned, are pretty much devoid of any character development that lasts longer than 10 minutes, before they are killed off. You don't have any time to appreciate the characters or even learn anything about them before they're dispatched. Good writing is always essential to a good film. The Friday/Nightmare series lack that to any great extent. They were most likely being made too fast to capitalize on earning as much money as possible, while cutting down costs for everything else. Classic B or even C grade work.. They have their fans, and that's fine. I will watch them occasionally on cable TV, but they are, IMO, pretty forgettable on a whole.

14. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

One movie really sticks out in my mind--Natural Born Killers. When I was in high school, I thought NBK was one of the greatest and most bad-ass movies ever. Now, I can't even watch the whole thing without turning it off. I think it's mostly Oliver Stone's style, cause I still love other movies from that time like True Romance and Pulp Fiction.

15. Anthropophagus

I agree about the Hammer films, no one ever did gothic horror like that studio, perfect in every way.

16. Steel76

Exactly!

Yup, the same problem as with the SAW sequels.

17. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I basically agree with EVERYTHING you just said...
    Except Cannibal Holocaust. Still can't watch that film.

18. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Nontheless, several of them are still quite good and they all have at least a few strong moments. The same thing can't be said of many other horror franchise.

19. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    A

HA HA! I just watched Eraserhead for the first time in years and thought the same thing!!

20. Alan

Alan New Member

There aren't many horror movies that have dropped HUGELY in my estimation, but a few that just don't really hold the same magic as they used to for me.

I agree to a point about F13th movies, in particular the post-Final Chapter sequels - I still enjoy them but not as much as I did when I was younger, because by this point I've seen almost every movie that F13th was influenced by (aswell as the ones it influenced afterwards but ended up being better movies).

I also agree that the first Terminator has aged better than the second. I still love T2 but Terminator has this indescribable charm that grows more with time, whereas T2 hasn't really improved in the same way.

For the most part, the movies I loved when I was younger I've grown to love even more because I'm more equipped to idenitify exactly what it is that made me love them now, I guess - so old favourites like The Thing, The Brood, Phantasm, Hammer horrors and the plethora of movies I saw on late night TV as a kid that made such an impression actually mean more to me than ever.