My Latest Laserdisc Buys ......

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Agent Z, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Definitely!

Those are sweet Lasers. Got 'em both myself.

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    My newbies:
    LISA & THE DEVIL/BARON BLOOD (mint condition), THE LIVING DEAD GIRL (also mint), X THE UNKOWN, ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST (with 2 posters!) and FOUR-SIDED TRIANGLE.

3. venomjuice9

venomjuice9 Member

Good O Laserdiscs, just this past weekend I went and brought Adventures Of Robin Hood (Criterion), Adventures Baron Munchausen (Criterion) and Bram Stoker's Dracula (Criterion). Mmmm still looking for Midnight Cowboy and Robinson Crusoe On Mars (Both Criterion)

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I like this disc a lot too, though I wish there were more extras, and a gatefold sleeve (like Elite was famous for). I also wish they'd have the House of Exorcism option, like on the DVD.

By the way, I was surprised to find I enjoyed Baron Blood more, with the exception of the cheesy opening music....

5. wago70

What I love about both BARON BLOOD and Lisa and the Devil are their music scores. BARON BLOOD's takes you off guard because it sounds so...cocktail lounge...early '70's style! I love it and would KILL for a CD of both soundtracks. Also, I love the opening shot of BARON BLOOD with the airliner cruising over San Francisco. I see that same view myself when taking a transatlantic flight especially in the summer when the fog covers the downtown area and the Bank of America building (tallest in SF) looks exactly the same as in that shot. I only wish that music played on the P.A. during the flight.

6. wago70

There was a time when I would see used, but mint condition LD copies of FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN and BLOOD FOR DRACULA. I bought both one day at the used record store for about $30. For months, they kept popping up - when bought, another set would be brought out to be sold. Now, I see multiple used, but mint copies of the DVD versions (about $25). What gives? Why the constant rotation of viewers of these Criterion versions? I mean, the other day there were four used copies of BLOOD FOR DRACULA and two FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN - the week before, there were two of each!

7. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

I just got a mint, sealed copy of Sorceress for 7.16. yes, this is the "classic" Linda Blair and Julie Strain witchcraft movie.:)

8. wago70

Let us know the quality!

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Just won another auction, this time for the Quentin Tarantino's Rolling Thunder release of Switchblade Sisters. The other RT discs I have are Curdled and Chungking Express. I know Sonatine is out by them too....is that it?

10. wago70

Sounds like a great buy - so "Drive-In" of a purchase. The disc sets that I really want are those MGM/UA ones with DR. BLOOD'S COFFIN, et al. Also I could do with the Universal set with MOLE PEOPLE and DEADLY MANTIS. Keep getting outbid on eBay!

11. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

Evil Dead 2 Blood Red Ed. and The Rejuvenator. picked them both up locally for 25.00.

12. Nos4ah2

Nos4ah2 Guest

Picked up M.Butterfly out of Canada for about $19. Beautiful picuture and sound, but sadly no special features or supplements.

13. Blade

Blade Guest

I just got Lost Highway.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Any problems with Laser Rot on that disc? It's supposedly a notorious title in terms of rot.

My latest pickups: Rush Hour and Pulp Fiction, DTS!

15. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

You wormy bastard! :D How much did you spend on it? Would you do us a big favor & post a verbal comparison between the DVD & LD DTS tracks?

16. Blade

Blade Guest

I don't really know what laser rot should look like, but my Lost Highway laserdisc is in exellent shape! It looks so good, very strong colors, with a strong dose of yellow in alot of shots. My Dutch dvd doesn't have these strong colors, and I've been told by a Lynch expert the colors a supposed to look as they do on the US laserdisc :)

17. Dave

Dave Pimp

My Japanese LD had a very poor transfer on it. Way too much grain and it was just too dark overall. I sold it off. I recently picked up a 16x9 PAL DVD that is supposed to be a big improvement. I haven't watched it yet, however.

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

They were $20 each. I don't think Rush Hour has a DTS DVD, does it?

I definitely intend to compare the LD and DVD DTS tracks (BTW, I now have FOUR versions of Pulp Fiction on LD and DVD. I'd dump my plain LD, but it was the first LD I ever bought, so I'm holding on to it for posterity).
    I've found DTS to be hit or miss on DVD. Some tracks are really nice, but others (I.E., Chicago) sound about the same as a good Dolby Digital mix. Laserdisc DTS is always top notch.

The price on the Pulp Fiction DTS laser has dropped ever since the DVD came out. I was surprised to get Rush Hour. Also, both were "throwaway" bids on E-bay...that's where I see something I like, bid the minimum, and forget about them, until I get the winning bid E-mail.

And Blade, it sounds like you got real lucky on the Lost Highway disc, since almost everyone I've heard from says it's rotted. I don't know if you've watched the whole movie yet, but if you haven't, be sure to check the beginning and ending of every side (Rot comes in at either the beginning or end of a side, never in the middle). Also, check the inner ring of the disc, for manufacturing location. Discs from that company pressed in the US (I think they'll be marked DADC or LDVS, but don't quote me on that) are notorious rotters, but discs from the same company that were pressed in Austria (it will say Austria somewhere on the inner ring) are usually OK. These are American releases I'm talking about, they just used two different pressing plants, so the covers will look exactly the same. It's the discs themselves that are slightly different.

(BTW, Laser rot looks like small white speckles, all over the picture. Including the black letterboxed bars. Ironically, the better player you have, the MORE you will see rot. I guess as it pulls more detail out of the disc, it also uncovers more flaws)

19. Blade

Blade Guest

What you just said is really disturbing Paff. I have seen those little white speckles on my Star Wars special edition laserdiscs! :nervous: How far can this rotting go, will it destroy the image completely, or will it stay like it is now?

I've watched Lost Highway completely, and I don't remember any white speckles on that one, but I will check the disc itself later on.

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It will probably get worse, unfortunately. Destroy the image completely? Maybe not, but it will become unwatchable.

Is the Star Wars SE a known rotter? Because I've definitely heard it about the CAV Definitive Collection. I'm a "Faces" man myself.