New 3-D BluRay and HD TVs...Well?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by rijir, Mar 30, 2010.

1. rijir

rijir Member

Okay. Best Buy finally got a few of the new 3-D TVs and BluRay players in. Being a 3-D geek I wanted to check them out.

Well......I wasn't impressed.

First of all the glasses were uncomfortable. Instead of resting on the sides of the bridge of your nose they rest on the top of your nose. So after 1 min I wanted them off. Also I had to press the on button around 6 or 7 times just to get them to turn on. This will be great for those who have trouble with small buttons.

How about the picture? Well I saw Monsters vs Aliens and some demo disc with a volleyball game. The 3-D movies that I see in the theater occupy a space from zero to infinity. The pictures I saw on these TVs occupy a space between 2 and 3 feet away from you. The depth was very shallow. Maybe this would be different if the screen was closer to 60". But how many of us are going to have one that big? A good example of what you see could be compared to the image you see through binoculars. You have depth but the space between the objects appears to be less than it actually is.

I'm curious to hear what others think.

If you are a 3-D hater please don't respond. Leave this to those that normally enjoy this fad.

2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

How much of an improvement did you feel your experience was vs something like the My Bloody Valentine blu-ray with the cheapo colored glasses? Just curious

3. rijir

rijir Member

Obviously you have a much clearer picture. But you still lack depth with either 3-D method.

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

We have these at my work and I think it's a waste of money. We have the Monsters VS. Aliens demo and I'm just not impressed. Especially with such a price hike on these sets. Then you have to pay $150 for a set of the glasses. Not to mention I feel 3-D isn't all that effective if you can see the rest of the room around the 3-D picture. I like 3-D, but I think it works in theaters and that's where I think it should stay. Either way, the 3-D fad will die out eventually, just like it did before and you'll basically have a TV who's main selling point is only good for about 5% of your collection.

5. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

and there's the problem, right there. im having a hard time convincing myself that such a huge price difference is worth it for such a small number of titles. especially when the movies made in 3d lately haven't been ones i absolutely need to have. here are the titles that, if done on blu ray 3D, would make me honestly rethink getting one of these:

Creature from the Black Lagoon
    House of Wax
    Friday the 13th 3D
    Jaws 3D

what am i missing? what other classic titles were originally filmed in 3D? certainly some william castle stuff, although I'm not as familiar with his output as i should be. Was House on Haunted Hill originally 3D? if so, you can add it to my list. Honestly, the opportunity to see those films in the best possible reproduction of their 3D theatrical exhibition would make me consider it. But Avatar? no thanks, i already saw it twice.

7. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Hitchcock's Dial M For Murder was originally projected in 3D. That could be a treat.
    However, I have the feeling that those interested in home 3D should just wait. And by that I mean, wait for years.

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Fuck yes! how could i have forgotten that one? definitely on the list!

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

As far as I'm aware William Castle never shot a horror movie in 3D, though apparently he shot some Westerns that way earlier. Kinda surprising. I wouldn't be surprised if some outfit went back and made them 3D, but that's not the same thing.

I haven't seen the new 3D TV's, it's disappointing but understandable to hear that you just don't get the same kinda depth you do from the theater. I'm hoping it's not a fad though, theatrically speaking. I'm not too concern about home use catching on or not.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I'm against this retroactive 3D business in all its forms. as far as im concerned, its no better than colorization. i'll be going to see clash of the titans in 2D, thank you very much.

11. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

My wife and I checked out a Samsung display at Best Buy last night and we were both impressed. The picture quality was excellent and I felt the field of depth was very good.

12. rijir

rijir Member

Every single review I have read or seen on TV is saying the post production 3-D in the new Clash of the Titans ruins the film. They quickly did in 8 weeks what it normally takes 6 months to do.