New Ghost House Underground releases in Oct 09

Discussion in 'General' started by MadmanMarz, Jul 14, 2009.

1. MadmanMarz

MadmanMarz Member

Four new Ghost House Underground releases to hit in Oct 2009 on DVD and Blu Ray...$19.98 SRP DVD and BLU SRP TBD

The Children

Detailed Synopsis:
    You brought them into the world. They will take you out. A family anticipates a Christmas filled with sledding, laughter and hot cocoa as they head to their vacation home in the secluded backcountry…The holiday cheer takes a fast turn for the worse after a mysterious flu-like virus sweeps through the kids. One by one the children become deadly. Amidst the suspicion, mayhem and murder, the parents fight for survival against their own twisted offspring.

Cast: Eva Birthistle, Stephen Campbell Moore, Jeremy Sheffield, Rachel Shelley, Hanna Tointon, Raffiella Brooks, Jake Hathaway, William Howes, Eva Sayer
    Director: Tom Shankland

The Thaw

Detailed Synopsis:
    When a renowned environmental advocate, Dr. David Kruipen (Val Kilmer), discovers the carcass of a woolly mammoth in a polar ice cap, he leads a team of four bright ecology students in a research mission at a remote Arctic station. The group uncovers information beyond their wildest dreams…and nightmares when a prehistoric parasite revives and searches for a new warm-blooded host. Now infected, the unsuspecting students are forced to choose between a quarantine that will result in their death or a global epidemic.

Cast: Martha MacIsaac, Val Kilmer, Aaron Ashmore, Kyle Schmid, Steph Song, Viv Leacock
    Director: Mark A. Lewis

Offspring

Detailed Synopsis:
    THEY HUNT IN PACKS. THEY FEED ON FLESH. THEY PREY ON INNOCENCE. Back with a vengeance and an insatiable appetite for human flesh...THEIR TIME HAS COME AGAIN. Based on the acclaimed novel and adapted for the screen by best-selling author Jack Ketchum, OFFSPRING follows the survivors of a brutal flesh-eating clan that has resurfaced in the once sleepy town of Dead River, Maine. The locals are in for a rude awakening when they realize it's the same pack that the sheriff thought he'd killed off a decade ago. Just when they thought the nightmare was over, they’re about to discover that the fight for their lives has only just begun.

Cast: Jessica Butler, Leigh Feldpausch, Stephen Grey, Amy Hardgreaves, Art Hindle, Erick Kastel, Spencer List, Pollyanna McIntosh
    Director: Andrew van den Houten

Seventh Moon

Detailed Synopsis:
    According to an ancient Chinese myth on the full moon of the seventh lunar month the gates of hell open and the dead are freed to roam among the living. While honeymooning in China, a young couple takes part in a sacred event that honors these spirits. As night falls, their tour guide abandons them in a desolate field. Now what they thought was a joke is becoming far too real as they fight to survive the night of the SEVENTH MOON.

Cast: Amy Smart, Tim Chiou, Dennis Chan
    Director: Eduardo Sanchez

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

good to know thanks also i am glad it is only 4 titles instead of 8 this year because sept/oct are always big months for horror films

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I've actually been curious in checking out all 4 of those titles, so I will indeed do so when they are released.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Sounds good, I enjoyed most of the first batch of titles. I've heard good things about The Children on another forum.

5. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I've seen The Children and it's friggin' excellent. One of the best horror flicks in the past couple years. It's creepy as all hell, and I'm sure it's going to find a pretty big audience. Really cool to hear it's getting an R1 release!!

6. Fall Break

Fall Break Member

Children was very cool and very messed up.

7. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

specs are in for each title and thankfully the children has the most

SEVENTH MOON
    Director Eduardo Sanchez, winner of the 1999 Cannes Film Festival Award of Youth for The Blair Witch Project, “returns with a brilliantly conceived and executed supernatural thriller” (Fantastic Fest). According to an ancient Chinese myth, on the full moon of the seventh lunar month, the gates of hell open and the dead are freed to roam among the living. While honeymooning in China, a young newlywed couple takes part in a sacred event that honors these spirits. Unfortunately their enthusiasm borders on mockery and their disagreeable charm ends in angry glances among the locals. As night falls, their tour guide abandons them in a desolate field. What they thought was a joke is becoming far too real as they fight to survive the night of the Seventh Moon.

*DVD/BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
    ·Audio commentary with writer/director Eduardo Sanchez and actress Amy Smart
    ·“Ghosts of Hong Kong: The Making of Seventh Moon” featurette
    ·“The Pale Figures” featurette
    ·“Mysteries of the Seventh Lunar Month” featurette
    *Subject to change

THE THAW
    Val Kilmer (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang) stars as a renowned environmental advocate, Dr. David Kruipen, who discovers the real horror of global warming in the frightening new film The Thaw. When Dr. Kruipen discovers the carcass of a woolly mammoth in a polar ice cap, he helms a team of four bright ecology students and leads them in a research mission at a remote Arctic station. The group uncovers information beyond their wildest dreams…and nightmares…when a pre-historic parasite revives and searches for a new warm-blooded host. Now, infected, the unsuspecting students are forced to choose between a quarantine that will result in their burial ground or a global epidemic.

DVD/BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
    Behind the Scenes
    *Subject to change

OFFSPRING
    They Hunt in Packs. They Feed on Flesh. They prey on innocence. They are back with a vengeance and an insatiable appetite for human flesh. Their time has come – again. Based on the acclaimed novel and adapted for the screen by bestselling author Jack Ketchum, Offspring follows the survivors of a brutal flesh-eating clan that has re-surfaced in the once sleepy town of Dead River, Maine. The locals are in for a rude awakening when they realize it’s the same pack that the sheriff thought he killed off a decade ago. Just when they thought the nightmare was over, they’re about to discover that the fight for their lives has only just begun. The film was included in the Fangoria Weekend of Horror and Rue Morgue’s Festival of Fear.

*DVD/BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
    Audio commentary with writer Jack Ketchum, director/producer Andrew Van Den Houten, and producer/cinematographer William M. Miller
    “Progeny: The Birth of Offspring” featurette
    Webisodes
    Photo gallery
    Printable script
    *Subject to change

THE CHILDREN
    You brought them into the world. They will take you out. A family anticipates a Christmas filled with sledding, laughter and hot cocoa as they head to their vacation home in the secluded backcountry. The holiday cheer takes a fast turn for the worst after a mysterious flu-like virus sweeps through the kids. One by one the children become deadly. Amidst the suspicion, mayhem and murder, the parents must fight for survival against their own twisted offspring. The Children was declared “relentless, primal horror” (Guardian), a “taboo shattering movie” (Time Out), “Village of the Damned for the 21st Century” (IGN.com) and Steve Niles, author of the graphic novel 30 Days of Night says, “I will never go near a playground again!”

DVD/BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
    Deleted scenes
    “The Making of The Children” featurette
    “Shooting on Location” featurette
    “Paul Hyett Talks Prosthetics” featurette
    “Snow Set Design” featurette
    “Inside Tom Shankland’s On Set Lair” featurette
    “Working with The Children” featurette
    *Subject to change

8. VincentPrice

VincentPrice New Member

Can't wait to see Offspring, absolutely loved the book.

9. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Offspring is really bad... i love the book but man... lame...
    The Thaw is halfway decent...
    Haven't seen the other 2 yet...

10. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

The Thaw looks awesome.I'll check out The Children also.I saw the begining of The Children but never finished it.I hope the dvds come with the cool slip covers.

sean

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I didn't care all that much for The Thaw. It just seemed like it had all been done before...better. Some of the CG effects looked bleh.

The Children was fantastic. I haven't checked out the other two though.

12. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Just finished watching The Offspring. It was really, really bad. The savages were laughable with their buckwheat hair and "ugh, ugh me caveman" language. Some bad acting, bad dialog,....pretty much bad everything. Couple of good bits of violence and at least the blood isn't cgi, but really the good parts are few and far between. If you want to see it, rent before buying.

13. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I watched Seventh Moon earlier. The mythology is very intriguing and there are some eerie moments. I'd say the music is perfect for the tone of the film. The opening credits sequence, combined with the score, really gives off a foreboding feel. It sort of drags towards the middle, as it's pretty much just a long chase scene at that point. Lots of shaky camera movements too. That's never bothered me, but it's there for those that don't like it. There is a terrific shot towards the end of Amy Smart being chased by a pack of the moon demons.

Overall, I'd say it's worth seeing, but it's the weakest of Sanchez's films thus far.