New Masters of Horror series: Fear Itself

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Sep 25, 2007.

1. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I also admit being umimpressed with the trailer. The style of the episodes looks like ugly American TV anyway. But... that's just 4 out of 13. There are 9 more. Out of 13, there have got to be a few worth something. Or maybe just 1.

I think the tragedy is that the cinematic look of horror is gone. Almost all of today's horror might as well be TV anyway. In fact, almost all of today's American movies are like TV. Whether they're comedy, action, drama, or horror.

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I guess everyone who's at all interested in this show have already checked Wikipedia, but they seem to have "the" info on what's happening with Episodes 9 - 12.

Amazing news on what new directors they have for the series. Well... exciting for me, John Dahl - director of The Last Seduction, the ice-cold 1994 erotic thriller masterpiece starring Linda Fiorentino, and 2001's road-psycho hit, Joy Ride - is slated to direct the 11th episode, "Chance." Then, Larry Fessenden - 2001's much-loved weirdo "man or monster?" indie, Wendigo - is slated to direct the 9th episode, "Skin & Bones" - the one John Carpenter was rumored to direct.

The other 2 new announced directors are pretty much nobodies.

Rob Bowman (The X-Files movie) will direct episode 10, "Echoes" - Sam, an affable, good-natured young man, moves into an apartment where he believes he once lived 88 years ago in a past life. But as memories appear to him like ghosts, he realizes that in this previous life he was a sadistic murderer and he must keep that past life from bleeding into his present one. Sean Hood (Sick Girl, Halloween: Resurrection, Cube 2: Hypercube) wrote this one.

Rupert Wainwright (Stigmata, and The Fog remake) will direct episode 12, "The Spirit Box" - A group of teenage girls try to resurrect their deceased classmate. No word on who wrote it.

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

In the commercial it mentions:

"From the makers of Jeepers Creepers."

So is that Victor Salva? or I'm I wrong?

(Updated)

Yes indeed, he wrote the screenplay for one. The Landis episode.

"Eater," is directed by Stuart Gordon (Re-Animator) and written by Cemetery Dance Magazine publisher and editor Richard Chizmar (From a Buick 8) & actor Johnathon Schaech (Masters of Horror). A rookie cop (Moss) must spend her first night in the precinct watching over a serial killer, coined "The Eater" (Stephen R. Hart, Shoot 'Em Up). When her fellow cops start acting bizarre, she quickly learns that no one is who they seem. Russell Hornsby (Lincoln Heights), Pablo Schreiber ("The Wire") and Stephen Lee ("Boston Legal") also star.

"Spooked," is directed by Brad Anderson (The Machinist) and written by Matt Venne (White Noise 2: The Light). While on a stake out in a haunted house, a private eye (Roberts) is made to confront the demons of his past. Jack Noseworthy ("Judging Amy"), Cynthia Watros ("Lost") and Larry Gilliard Jr. ("The Wire") also star.

"Community" is directed by Mary Harron (American Psycho) and written by Kelly Kennemer (The Music Within). When a young married couple, played by Routh and Appleby, find the perfect house in the perfect neighborhood, their lives seem...well...perfect. But as the dark underbelly of their neighborhood creeps to the surface, they soon realize that their neighbors will go to any extreme -- even murder -- to make sure that they comply with their twisted sense of conformity. John Billingsley (“Star Trek: Enterprise") also stars.

"Red Snow" has a screenplay written by Mick Garris (Riding the Bullet), from a story by Del Howison ("Dark Delicacies"). Breck Eisner (Creature from the Black Lagoon) will direct. When four criminals find themselves stranded in an old, snow-covered fort, they slowly discover both the fort and the seductive trio of sirens who reside there are filled with deadly secrets.

"Chance" is written by Lem Dobbs (The Score), with a director to be announced later. In the vein of such classic doppelganger stories as Jekyll & Hyde and Poe's "William Wilson," the episode explores a dreadful, classic battle that ensues when a man is confronted by his evil self.

"New Year's Day" will be directed by Darren Bousman (Saw II, III and IV), and is written by Steve Niles (30 Days of Night) from a story by Paul Kane. A young woman wakes up in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by horrifying zombies.

"Family Man" will be directed by Ronny Yu (Freddy vs. Jason, Bride of Chucky) and is written by Dan Knauf ("Carnivale," "Supernatural"). This action-charged, psychological thriller focuses on a likeable family man who switches bodies with a serial killer after a near-death experience. Now, he must fight from behind bars to keep the murderer from adding his family to the long list of victims.

"Skin & Bones" is written by Drew McWeeny & Scott Swan (Masters of Horror) with a director to be announced later. When a cattle herder returns home to his family after being lost in the woods for days, he just doesn't seem the same. Soon, a terrible mortal struggle ensues against the terrifying monster
    possessing him.

"Something With Bite" is a reinvention of the classic werewolf story from writer Max Landis (Masters of Horror), the son of John Landis. Ernest Dickerson (NBC's "Heroes") will direct.

"Nightmare in Lace," John Landis (An American Werewolf in London) will direct an episode written by Victor Salva (Jeepers Creepers). On her wedding day, a beautiful bride receives a mysterious note that reads: "The person you are marrying is a serial killer."

All right, werewolves, serial killers and zombies? Sounds pretty damn good to me! Here’s hoping it’s not as watered-down as a network horror show could be… Fear Itself will debut on NBC this summer.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  4. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

He's not a nobody, he's a oh-god-I don't-wanna-see-anymore-movies-from-this guy somebody.

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Which is also exactly how I feel about Larry Fessenden. I would rather have my nails pulled out one by one than watch Wendigo or Habit again.

Regardless, I will likely end up checking them all out. My horror masochist streak almost always wins out in the end. To succeed, they just have to be on average better than Masters of Horror and that's not too hard.

PS Maskull fix your icon man!

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2008
  6. Might be halfway decent at the most.

7. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Totally agree with you! I think this can be much better, where they actually focus on storytelling instead of shock value (gore and nudity). We'll see! There hasn't really been a good anthology show on TV in ages!

8. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I'll give it a shot for sure. Come on, this list of directors is pretty much on par with MOH.

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

The series premieres tonight.

10. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

:banana: Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Damn, was there like ANY promotion for this?? I don't watch much TV, so it's not surprising I didn't see any commercials, but I frequent a few horror sites, and I've seen hardly anyone talking about it. On a couple horror forums, there's no threads on it at all. Very odd.

Glad I noticed this thread though, as I'm looking forward to seeing the episodes from Brad Anderson, Ronny Yu, and Larry Fessenden.

12. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Damn, I didn't realize this was starting tonight and I missed it.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

i was unimpressed. Mostly, I thought it was a poorly written episode. It tried to be about a half-dozen different things, spanning several genres. With a 45 minute episode, there should be a single concept and direction. We'll talk more about the episode after more people have seen it

14. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Didn't do much for me,predictable.I do think Rachel Miner is a promising actress though.This show was shot in the same Canadian fort that was used in that GINGER SNAPS sequel.Next weeks looks better.

15. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Who directed this past one?

I saw bits of it and wasn't really that impressed.

16. 3invertednines

3invertednines New Member

I thought it was pretty good. An hour of campy horror on network tv is pretty sweet when you only have 5 channels :D

I'll keep watching.

17. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Like you all have said already. It was unimpressive. Mick Garris is just a hack to me. He doesn't have any original ideas and his stories aren't that great. That being said, it was better than most of the Masters of Horror episodes and definitely better than Mick's contributions to that series. I will definitely watch some more, because a lot of the eps. sound like they have potential. It is really hard to satisfy us die hards, isn't it?? I think we all feel like we've seen it all! Anthology series are really hard to do and there hasn't been a great one for a while!

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Ya had me then ya lost me.

I definitely dug MoH more, although by not having Showtime, I had the luxury of being able to pick well-received episodes on DVD and bypass the lesser ones. I'm well aware that this was just the first ep, but MoH came out of the gate with Incident on and Off a Mountain Road, and Dreams in the Witch House, still two of the best episodes.

The Sacrifice just had way too many loose ends and concepts. Usually an hour-long format is great for simple plot structures, here they tried a dozen different ideas. More than in the usual feature film! Just some examples, spoiler-free I hope: They were criminals on the run. Did that matter? Not one bit. Never figured into the plot. Kinda the From Dusk Till Dawn concept, but there it was very critical that they were outlaws on the run. The Silence of the Lambs well came in and out of the plot, but never as creepy as it could and should have been. What was in that stew anyway? Oh, it didn't matter. Are the girls enemies or allies? Or both? What was some of the religious aspect?

Keep it simple, stupid is always a good rule, and in hour-long anthologies it's the law. The Sacrifice was not the exeption that proves the rule. It was just too muddled.

19. maskull

I've been trying to watch this ep all day now. I started it, got bored, paused it and did something else. Then I watched a bit more and paused it. I'm almost halfway through the episode but I'm just not being kept interested in it.

I'll get through it at some point I'm sure.

20. maskull

OK finally finished it. Does pick up a bit in the second half and I think the actual story is a cool idea. Not very well executed though. Maybe if this were a feature length film, written by someone good, it could turn out to be really enjoyable. Unfortunately it seemed kind of rushed. Also you never really started to care for the characters. A bit more time developing them would've been better.

My biggest complaint:
    They really couldn't kill the vampire???? It seemed pretty damn easy to do at the end. Could just use one of the sacrifices as bait (if none of your own people were willing to do it), like they did with the sister, and off the sucker. Easy. Other people tried and failed? They must've been pretty useless...unless they couldn't do it due to lack of Uzis :)

The ending was lame too.

It was...ok but I really hope this show gets better. We do have the Big(ger) Gun directors still to come so here's hoping they can make something a bit more interesting.