New Miramax/Dimension Blu-ray Wave from Echo Bridge

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Katatonia, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Don't be silly. It'll be a re-packaging for sure!

3. Nailwraps

Not entirely true; The Prophecy/The Prophecy II Double Feature has first film in it's 2.35:1 OAR when the standalone release was in 1.78:1.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I guess anything goes with Echo Bridge then :lol:

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

The cover on the solo release was wrong, the movie was in 2.35, but it didn't have the featurette or trailer that the Double Feature does, and some scenes I've sampled looked better and played at a higher bitrate than the solo disc. Another scene looked just as bad, so I'm unsure if it is a new transfer or not, some seemed like it was, some felt like it wasn't. Part 2 looked quite nice though, pleasantly surprised with that one.:)

According to the covers, there's a Crow double feature that has features for Wicked Prayer now (but that cover says it's 2.35 when the film is 1.85, so basically don't trust what the cover says the ratio is, trust reviews!) and a thing or 2 for City of Angels.

6. Nailwraps

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Echo Bridge did release a double-feature Blu-ray with Texas Rangers and Dead Man on it. You can find it at Wal-Mart ahead of the release date for just $5

It's a dual-layer disc at almost 45gb though, so the bitrate is quite good, and lossless DTS HD-Master Audio is available for both films. I'm truly surprised they didn't shove it all on a single-layer...

They apparently released Texas Rangers as a single Blu-ray last year, with zero special features. A Featurette and some Storyboard Comparisons are included on this double-feature though.

The extras for Dead Man are all carried over from the previous single Blu-ray of that film.

8. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

Is the EB single disc of Resurrection better than the transfer on the Alliance set?

9. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  10. Nailwraps

Perfect time for Anchor Bay to step in. ;)

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Still living in 2004?

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, they'll just take the same exact crappy EB discs and reissue them. :lol:

13. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I know Scream Factory put in a bid for the Miramax Halloween and Hellraiser titles the first time around. Maybe they can give it another shot.

14. Zollman

Zollman New Member

perhaps indeed *winks*

15. bigdaddyhorse

Fortress just became a $50-100 BD overnight. This is gonna be fun remembering why I don't own most of these releases down the road, and that reason is many didn't sound worth $8, much less 5-10X that!

Besides missing the boat on Fortress, I broke down and ordered a couple others I had been hoping to get cheaper before they cost more too. Thankfully very few interest me, and the ones that do were still in stock and only a couple bucks over what they bottomed at price-wise (except Fortress, "fuck" on that).

16. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

What other releases did you end up getting in case I want to grab a few?? Oh and by the way I found the Fortress blu on Half.com for $10 :banana:. Always liked this movie:D

17. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Fortress was part of that $5 Blu-Ray sale Movie Stop was having about 6-8 months ago. I grabbed myself one. They probably have plenty more at there brink and mortar locations. Not sure online.

18. bigdaddyhorse

I picked up the From Dusk Till Dawn 4-pack for the sequels in HD, esp. 2 since it isn't anamorphic on dvd.
    Godzilla vs Biollante, although I got the wrong one with other movies and no Japanese audio. So I returned that and ordered the right one from amazon marketplace.
    Fresh, just cuz I need to see it and love hood movies.
    And the 3-pack with Phantoms because I also have never seen that, and hear Affleck is the bomb is in it!;)

If The Hole was OAR I would jump on that too, but it's altered if only opened ratio and lack of features kept it on the shelf at Best Buy yesterday.

I keep feeling I should try and get Teaching Mrs. Tingle also, but I can't get over how much I hated that flick when I watched it on cable just before the BD came out last winter. I feel like I should like it at least, but just don't. A couple copies of that are on amazon for reasonable prices right now and I can not pull the trigger, so please someone else who does like that flick, go get it while you can.

19. bigdaddyhorse

Just grabbed the In Too Deep/Glass Shield/ Rage in Harlem set since one was laying around Best Buy and I had gift cards. I really hope I like the first 2 flicks more now than when I first saw em and should. Back then I was looking for rappers to be themselves and not paying full attention when they weren't on screen. Now I appreciate movies for the art of filmmaking, and prefer rappers to play non-rappers. Don't think I've ever seen Malevolent or Rage.

Would I have bought this if not for it maybe being the last chance to do so? Doubtful. Maybe this is a brilliant marketing move by Echo Bridge, say all are going OOP and watch em start moving. Fuck it, either way they got me playing and the stakes are still cheap enough to not worry about a few losers.:)