New Miramax/Dimension Blu-ray Wave from Echo Bridge

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Katatonia, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I wouldn't doubt with EB that even if they are dual-layer (surely?) discs, they probably only use a total of 35gb or some nonsense. :lol:

2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

[​IMG]

You know, I don't have a problem using other cenobites on the cover especially since the DTV sequel covers are quite generic, but why is Angelique on part 5 and the twins on part 6!? Anyone at EB even bother to watch these films? LOL

3. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Just realized that this is the third time EB has released Hellraiser 4 on blu. They seem to have a hard-on for that movie!

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Just saw that aswell. EB are just incompetent full stop. Their transfers, their covers, even the paper they use to print their covers on, all rubbish.

I couldn't give a shit about the sequels after Bloodline but I wish that Hellraiser 3 and 4 and the Halloween films that EB now owns would have been given to a more loving company.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I already bought their Bloodline / Inferno double feature, so hopefully they release the other two separately. The logic behind how they are releasing these is definitely screwy.

6. Katatonia

No kidding, they're just being haphazard about how they're releasing them.

I'd be interested to know how Hellseeker looks on the 4-pack, since that's the only one they haven't released on Blu before. I wouldn't expect much from them however...

7. marcx

marcx Active Member

Besides the questionable quality of these discs, their release plans make no sense! I have the hellraiser double feature of bloodline and inferno, and I have the single disc the put out of hellworld--now how do I get hellseeker and where the hell is deader? (Unintended pun)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Don't worry, I'm sure EB will release Deader in a double feature with Bloodlines or Hellworld. LOL I just wish EB would release solo discs of these movies. If they want to do 2 / 4 movie sets or even 6 movie sets, that's fine, but why not do solo as well? Why only release 4 and 8 solo?!?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

This post on blu-ray.com has specs on these discs:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/movie-tv-deals/186019-4-film-sets-10-wal-mart-ymmv-3.html#post5425695

(I'm just copying and pasting the spec portion of the post)

From Dusk Till Dawn (all 1.78, decent transfers) -
    Part 1 DTS MA 5.1
    Part 2 DTS MA 2.0
    Part 3 DTS MA 5.1
    Full Tilt Boogie DTS MA 2.0 (guessing it was never 5.1 but who knows)

Hellrasier (all 1.78, decent transfers) -
    Bloodline -DTS MA 2.0
    Inferno - DTS MA 2.0
    Hellseeker - DTS MA 2.0
    Hellworld -DTS MA 5.1

Children of the Corn (all 1.78, decent transfers except for Urban Harvest which looks like an upconvert) --
    Urban Harvest - DTS MA 2.0
    The Gathering - DTS MA 2.0
    Fields of Terror - DTS MA 2.0
    Isaac's Return - 2.0 DTS MA

Dracula set --
    Dracula 2000 - 2.0 DTS MA, 1.78
    Dracula II - 2.0 DTS MA, 1.78
    Dracula III - 5.1 DTS MA, 1.78
    They - 5.1 DTS MA - 2.35 and probably the best transfer on all of the discs

---------------

Earlier posts on that thread state it's a BD-50, so at least it's dual layer! My wife found the Hellraiser set at Wal-mart tonight, so I'll check it out tomorrow when she gets home.

10. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Well, I just tried out the Hellraiser disc and quickly glanced over each movie. While I did not compare the solos to this disc, Bloodline and Hellworld still look pretty good on this disc. I imagine the bitrate is lower, but still appeared pretty good. Inferno and Hellseeker both look very well, especially compared to the DVD versions. I never did like Dimension's DVD of Hellseeker. The encoding always seemed off for me, so I'm glad to have a 1080p copy. Audio specs are correct in regards to my earlier post, so it's a bit disappointing that 2.0 tracks are used rather than 5.1. Visual aspect, I think everyone will be happy with, especially considering the price. As for extras, NONE. LOL The Hellworld BD had carried over the DVD's extras, but this particular disc has none of that. Hell, the menu on this disc is a generic menu that resembles some template for a burning disc program that you may have on your computer! Yeah, it's that cheap. You'd think they would at least put some effort into that. I really liked the menu on the Bloodline's solo disc and Hellworld's menu wasn't bad either. But this is EB we're talking about. Now I wonder how long it'll take Hell on Earth and Deader to reach BD. I suspect whenever they do, they'll probably be paired up with one of the previous released titles since EB has a really bizarre way of releasing movies.

11. Katatonia

If EB ever does release Hell on Earth on Blu-ray, they'd better use a better transfer. Their DVD transfer of Hell on Earth is far worse than Paramount's old DVD release.

12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i dont think hell on earth will come to blu-ray same goes for COTC II final sacrifice

1. because doesnt paramount still own it hence why echo bridge released a low quality laserdisc transfer

2. the picture quality of echo bridge dvd is atrocious

3.hell on earth easily to most popular and best of echo bridge owned hellraiser films hence it would be on blu already wouldnt it?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  13. Katatonia

Nope, Paramount hasn't had the licensing rights for quite a while now.

Paramount must be pissed off about something though. Try searching for "Hellraiser" on their website, and it'll come back as jerk in the top search bar. :eek1:

14. Katatonia

I broke down and bought the Hellraiser 4-film Blu-ray at Wally World the other night for $10.

I've compared the movie file sizes for Hellraiser: Bloodline and Hellraiser: Inferno to the older double-feature Blu-ray, and the sizes for both of those films are EXACTLY identical on both Blu-ray releases. So, I'll just sell off that old double-feature Blu-ray...which was cheaply bought to begin with.

15. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

The case felt like a single disc to me, is it a double-sided dual layer or 2-side single layer, or 2 discs somehow? Alomst broke for the From Dusk Till Dawn one, but don't care for the sequels much and probably will never watch FTB again, even though it is good for a doc. Children of the Corn was looking tempting too, but I wanted to see some reviews as I might just get the full dvd set of sequels if the BD's aren't much better.

16. Katatonia

It's one disc, dual-layered at 46gb in total size.

Oddly, the case was an older-style "Elite" Blu-ray case, none of that thinner Eco cut-out crap.

17. bigdaddyhorse

Broke down and ordered The Prophecy on blu, even though I'm sure within a few months there will be a 2 pack, followed by a 4 or 5 pack, but I really only love the first film, the rest are fine on dvd, even if 2 isn't anamorphic.

Haven't got a chance to watch it yet, but anything has to be better than that 12 year old non-anamorphic dvd. I did pop it in for a few minutes to be sure it was correct ratio (it is 2.35). Most scenes looked a bit rough, but a shot or 2 here and there shined. Not a great release the movie deserves, but looks to be worth the bargin bin prices until a better one comes in 10-15 years. Now where's Ravenous (hopefully not with EB, think Fox still has it)?

18. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I hope it looks good, Prophecy is one of my favorites & it would suck if EB half-assed it.

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

prior to the EB dvd, was there an anamorphic version of the first one? i know the dvd i have is non-anamorphic.

20. bigdaddyhorse

There were a couple in other countries, but nothing in the US or Canada.