New Miramax/Dimension Blu-ray Wave from Echo Bridge

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Katatonia, Mar 25, 2011.

1. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Prophecy is frustrating on BD. Frustrating because from time to time it looks great, then the next scene looks like you're watching through a screendoor or some other vision hampering shit. I liken it to Predator in being all over the place and not consistant. It's still a huge leap up from the non-anamorphic dvd, but so much less than the film deserves or what could've been. Worth the $10 or less you should be able to find the disc at, but not more than that.

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Figures. Thanks for the heads up. I'll wait until it drops to $4.99.

3. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Single Releases:
    Halloween Resurrection - 04/07/12 - $19.99
    In Too Deep - 04/17/12 - $19.99
    Operation Condor 2: The Armour Of The Gods (Now Available in Jackie Chan 4-Pack) - 04/03/12 - $19.99
    Roadracers - 04/03/12 - $19.99
    Tale of the Mummy - 03/20/12 - $19.99

MOVIE COLLECTIONS:
    6 Film Masters Of Terror Vol. 2 - 04/17/12 - $29.99
    Halloween: Curse Of Michael Myers
    Hellraiser: Hellseeker
    Darkness
    Phantoms
    Venom
    Cursed

6 Film Fast Action - 04/17/12 - $29.99
    B. Monkey
    Ordinary Decent Criminal
    Albino Alligator
    Malevolent
    People I Know
    eXistenZ

6 Film High Powered Action Vol. 1 - 04/17/12 - $29.99
    The Yards
    No Code Of Conduct
    The Lookout
    Hidden Assassin
    Equilibrium
    Supercop

Pokemon Collection - 04/17/12 - $29.99
    Pokemon Heroes
    Pokemon 4Ever
    Pokemon: Destiny Deoxys
    Pokemon Jirachi: Wish Maker

Prophecy Collection - 04/03/12 - $29.99
    The Prophecy
    The Prophecy 3: The Ascent
    The Prophecy: The Uprising
    The Prophecy: Forsaken

Double Feature Blu-Ray
    Renaissance / Equilibrium (Double Feature) - 04/03/12 - $24.99

source: http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-mo...iramax-blu-ray-announcements.html#post5707472

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

^ Roadracers? The one with David Arquette and Salma Hayek?

I would buy that. I enjoyed the entire Rebel Highway series. Interesting choice for blu-ray though. Maybe they could do all of the Rebel Highway movies split into two collections. It is strange that they are only releasing this one.

It'd also be nice if the Echo Bridge discs had a lower SRP. $9.99 like the Mill Creek releases sounds about right. Given the quality that goes into them, that is about all they are worth.

5. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

6. bigdaddyhorse

See post #80, I'm waiting for reviews!:D
    Hopefully this happens with the extras and a nice shiny 1080P transfer, but with the track record of EB... until I hear otherwise I will assume it's 1080i, barebones and shit. They've already lied in press releases, why stop now?

7. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I'll hang on to my triple feature blu until i hear otherwise

8. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

You know, I've said it before, and I'm gonna say it again - I think a lot of the crap EB has been getting is a tad unfair and unjust. They are just the distributor of the titles they acquired, not the folks who made the masters.

Yes they should amp them up somehow, include more extras - some with any, let's face it; more than a handful of their releases wouldn't be considered "loaded", but for the price they charge - I haven't had many issues with their product or the quality.

Now here we have a blurb from Blu Ray.com who is reviewing their newest title, ROADRACERS;

"ROADRACERS features a proficient but not high-end 1080p Blu-ray transfer. Echo Bridge's transfer delivers satisfactory detailing and crispness for a high definition transfer. Neither faces nor clothes appear strikingly authentic or film-accurate, but rarely does any element appear pasty and never does the transfer look flat or poorly defined, save for a handful of shots where the image appears sourced from low-resolution video, the shots coming when Dude picks up Donna from her home in chapter seven, followed by another such shot in a movie theater shortly thereafter. Several shots simply go soft, but not video-fuzzy and messy. Faces do contend with a few bouts of sloppy color transitions when shadows lay over them. Colors are somewhat bland, mostly, and a touch too vibrant in brighter scenes, noted when Teddy and friends accost a red sweater-wearing Donna. Blacks are generally stable, only rarely crushing out details. Skin tones are largely even and reflective of each scene's color scheme. Excess blocking and other unwanted elements are largely absent. This isn't a striking transfer by any means, but for a budget Blu-ray the end result is more than passable. "

Now here we are talking about a low budget film Robert Rodriguez made for TV over 15 years ago, and they give the picture quality rating a 3 1/2 - I've seen them say more favorable things for other releases with 3 star ratings than this. It's like they don't want to admit a company like Echo Bridge put out a quality release.

I mean I realize they have like no stake in their releases not being favorably reviewed or anything - but still, this just doesn't feel "right". In one breathe, they say the transfer's good - with the rating - but then it's not "too good" or it becomes "passable", it's like - really? I mean really? It just seems like once again they don't want to say, "Hey, Echo Bridge put out a good release here!", like it will effect their cred or something...I personally find it bogus.

I take most of Blu Ray.com's reviews with a grain of salt anyways, but this one just annoyed me.

9. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

If it's anything from EB, I take a pass. Quality always seems to be an issue in one form or another.

10. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

The argument that because a Blu-ray is economically-priced that you shouldn't expect a quality release or extras doesn't fly with me. High definition is high definition - there is no middle ground. Lots of Blu-ray discs are low-quality, this is true. But that's because they're not really hi-def - a lazy studio or distributor can't be bothered to properly remaster (prepare) a film for the format and so they put out whatever's around, essentially making the release a DVD, just upconverted. As mentioned above, Echo Bridge is dealing with whatever is handed to them - they can't be blamed for the low quality of the transfers. This is why their Blu-rays are priced so low. Personally, I don't really consider an EB BD a BD, I consider them slightly better DVDs. I'll coin a new term for them: SB DVDS :)

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I don't read Blu-ray.com at all any more; too often they're way off the mark. Since even during the HD-DVD wars they've praised transfers that turned out to be terrible or trashed transfers that were actually good. There are much more reliable sites out there like WTF.

I just read the threads on Blu-ray.com (and other forums) now. You can discern the truth more readily from seeing what the masses say.

12. bigdaddyhorse

Roadracers is already showing up in Best Buys, reviews say 4/17 is true release date. It even has a commentary and 10 minute film school!
    Iornic I found it yesterday and went to look up if $7.99 was a fair price, but there was no mention of it on dvdpricesearch. Maybe p.s. doesn't do pre-releases anymore?

13. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

^^ It doesn't really surprise me much. They have been equally schizo with how they released the other franchise films, especially Hellraiser.

16. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

A lot of people have a problem with Echo Bridge's A/V quality or lack of special features. Personally, I don't think the A/V quality is all that bad (I've seen lots of releases from the major studios that look worse), and I don't care about special features (especially ones that I already watched on DVD). My two biggest problems with them are incorrect aspect ratios and multiple releases of the same movies (they make Anchor Bay look restrained). Now, if I want The Prophecy II on Blu-ray, I have two choices: buy this five-pack or buy the two-pack and own two copies of The Prophecy. This pack is probably the way to go, as it will more than likely be spread across two discs with each disc being a dual layered disc (this is what they do with their six-packs). Hopefully, Target or Best Buy will get it in for cheap.

17. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

There's also been rumours about a new Halloween Triple Pack from Echo Bridge at Best Buy in the US at the Blu-ray forums. If anyone has the info or has seen it please tell us.

18. bigdaddyhorse

Not surprising at all, esp. after what they've done with everything else. I think all their titles have at least 2 releases already (haven't seen a second Roadracers yet, but I'm sure it's coming or out already). I just picked up the Prophecy 1/2 set for $5 and will just keep the dvds for the other 3, as they are the weakest anyway. Plus the dvds have some extras the BD's don't (although I was shocked the first film had a featurette on the 2 pack but not on it's solo release, or any previous one). Then after the 5 pack comes out they'll a 10 pack with the Hellraiser or Halloween films, I've already seen that on dvd.:rolleyes:

With EB, if you miss any title, don't worry. It will be back on a multi-pack soon, and probably cheaper than the original disc was. I was thinking about trying Tales of the Mummy but then I couldn't find it in stores anymore. Now it's on a 2-pack with some Loch Ness shit, but cheaper than the solo disc was! Now that I can find it, I don't want it as much and haven't got it yet.:eek:

I knew this was gonna happen when I picked up that 2-pack, but I told myself the first 2 films are easily the best and I can live with the rest on standard dvd, so I grabbed it. They are likely to piss off everyone before long with the constant re-issues and different multi-packs. Although props on some of the 2-packs having features missing from the first solo releases. They are getting better, but you have to understand their practices or they'll drive you crazy. Not sure if I'll ever jump at a solo BD from them again, at least I got most of my money back for The Prophecy BD after getting the 2-pack. That will most likely be the last solo disc I get from EB.

19. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

20. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I'm still waiting for Hellraiser: Deader to hit blu-ray. Knowing EB, they'll release a double movie BD with Hellraiser Bloodlines, because we all know, they love releasing that fucking movie. LOL I still think they missed the perfect opportunity for that four pack they released. Instead of including Bloodlines, they should have made all 4 the DTV flicks (Inferno, Hellseeker, Deader & Hellworld). But no...