Nightbreed Directors cut details announced

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by thing, Jul 1, 2014.

1. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

My copy of the DC won't arrive until Monday so I popped in the theatrical cut. Still love it but yeah definitely some flaws throughout it.

As much as I dig the ending visually, it doesn't make much sense. Why would Ashberry refer to Decker as master? He never saw Decker in his killer guise and Decker died without his mask on.

Curious to see why some reviewers prefer it. The DC ending sounds like it makes a lot more sense and fits the film better.

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I sent an email to blowitoutahere, asking when I could expect my order. They responded, saying it would be 2-3 weeks. :mad:

3. inkmachine

inkmachine Member

I got my special edition copy yesterday from blowitouttahere.com

4. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Got it this weekend and watched it. Looks great! Really love the Cabal Cut. I very different ending. I was glad to have that theatrical cut to compare, although I really don't see putting that blu-ray in the player anymore. I bought the LE because of the extra disc. In all honesty, if it goes OOP, I'll sell it and buy the regular edition.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i received my regular edition today, and noticed that the slip cover has a strange faded streak about 3-4mm wide running down the middle of it. it looks like a printing error or something. anybody else have the same issue, or is it just me?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  6. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I dont think I prefer the director's cut, both cuts are flawed, the theatrical cut has better pacing, the director's cut makes a little more sense.

7. Harrycanyon

Harrycanyon Banned Mofo

I watched both TC and DC as both movies look STUNNING on BD as if it wasn't for the 80s-isms (the mullets, some hair, the music, clothes) you'd be hard to be convinced it was filmed in 1989 with detail in a quality restoration. The DC is superior no doubt and gives better characterizations.

The 3-disc is my pick of the best horror BD of the year with Halloween Collection, Vincent Price Collection, Curtains, Sleepaway Camp etc.

Who thinks Scream did an awesome job with this satisfying BD? and does anyone think the film and book were inspired by The island of Dr Moreau? and who thinks it influenced the Hellboy comics to the Gargoyles animated show?

8. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I was expecting the director's cut to look kinda like My Bloody Valentine with the gore re-inserted - you know, jerky shifts in colour timing. I had also understood that the audio came from multiple sources, and that was a concern too. That said, I found director's cut to be a completely smooth experience. VERY nice presentation. Now, is the director's cut an artistic revelation? Well... I found it to be more of a sideways trade than an upgrade.

I like Decker's fate in the theatrical cut better, but I love Lori's performance of Johnny Get Angry in the director's cut - man, that scene really puts Lori across from the get-go. In the theatrical cut, it takes time to warm up to her, but when she sings in the director's cut - BAM! You're there.

I am extremely happy with the release. I also enjoyed the retrospectives from the actors (especially from Craig Sheffer, who's still a proper gorge).

9. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I thought that song performance was the worst thing in either cut, just laughably bad, that whole scene is one of the worst ive seen.

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

If the song is the same as the Cabal cut then I think it's awesome too. I'm still waiting to receive my limited edition and can't wait to finally see the DC remastered.

11. thing

thing Well-Known Member

The remaster job looks great all things considered, when watching it, at no point did I notice any drop in quality. But after watching both cuts and the excellent supplements I sold off my set for more than I got it for, the films just have not aged well and the directors cut didn't save it. I watched this film do many times on home video , loved it so much back then

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

C'mon, Blowitoutahere!

13. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Laughably bad as in you don't personally care for it? Personal taste is one thing, but from a technical perspective, the singing/performance is quite accomplished in terms of vocal modes, use of rubato, chromatic intervals, etc. What I like is that it's an energetic performance that gives Lori some spunk. I always felt she was introduced as a rather bland character in the theatrical cut.

This one? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMjDDLbU7eg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I think you need to be a fan of Clive's novel to really appreciate the DC. I'm assuming most people who aren't too impressed by the DC never read the book so they don't really understand what the big deal is. I saw the film before I discovered the book and didn't think much of it at all. I ended up finding the book some years later and was surprised when I discovered it was what Nightbreed was an adaption of. It really helped fill in the gaps in the movie and made it all make a lot more sense to me and gave me a greater appreciation for the film. So to see (mostly) all those scenes show up in the DC was a big deal.

15. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

liked the book, just waiting for the bluray :)

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I ordered the Limited Edition less than a month ago from them. Never received it & now this morning, I get an email that Blowitoutahere cancelled mine and gave me a refund. I bought it just a week before the street date. Kind of surprised to be getting a refund already. Does this mean Blowitoutahere is out of their Limited Edition Nightbreed inventory?

17. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I have read cabal twice, I like the book, doesn't make the film any less of a mess . Those added scenes between Craig Schaeffer who isn't that great of an actor and the lead actress who is mostly terrible may help bring the attentions of the book and film maker to light but they are cringingly executed for the most part.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  18. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

:eek: I'm going to lose my shit if they pull that crap on me now. I had sent them an email about a week ago and they said that I should get my copy in the next couple of weeks.

19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I had pre-ordered from Sears, then from DeepDiscount, not realizing they shared the same media distribution center (same as BlowItOutaHere).

Ended up ordering it from a third retailer for $54.99 and got a shipping notice, but don't want to say where until I have the item in my hand.

People elsewhere are saying the limited is sold out, but I find it hard to believe it would sell 10,000 copies at $70ish each. Amazon.com currently has it removed and "under review", but when it was in stock, their quantity was showing 999+

20. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I purchased my Limited Edition copy at my local Vintage Stock, and it was $54.99. I was so glad that I didn't order it through Amazon. I bought it last Saturday during their Anniversary sale, Buy 2 get 1 free of Blu-Ray and DVD, and it was the only copy they had. I watched the DC last weekend and I'm so glad that I purchased it. I will have to watch the theatrical version tomorrow, and I was so impressed with the picture quality of the DC. Halloween 6 Producer's Cut was also great picture quality. Scream Factory is my new favorite company. Next month is Tales From The Crypt/Vault of Horror Double Feature, which is uncut, and February, Love At First Bite/Once Bitten Double Feature Blu-Ray. I just watched my DVD of Once Bitten two weeks ago, and I was wondering when it was going to come out, and it was close to my birthday.