Nightbreed Directors cut details announced

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by thing, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Just finished watching the Director's Cut. Although I haven't seen the extras on the LTD ED 3rd disc, I'm thinking maybe the LTD ED was the wrong way to go. The Dir Cut was everything I wanted from the movie!! Amazing really! But I doubt I'll EVER watch the Theatrical Cut again.

Enjoyed every minute!

2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

its been $47 at deepdiscount for about a week already

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Yeah, me too! I'm hoping it sells out so I can Ebay it!

That kind of pisses me off!! Although it is backordered and who knows if anyone will get it. I paid $60 for it through Amazon.

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Backordered, though. Chances of an order getting fulfilled at that price are getting slimmer.

5. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I got it for $54 through amazon, watched it all and sold it for $60.
    I didn't noticed it was on backorder, but I'd say there is still a good chance people will get it.
    I got rid of mine, cos I just didnt think NIghtbreed had held up that well and the directors cut was not any or much better for different reasons. I enjoyed the special features more.

6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Just got an email from blowitouttahere that they refunded my order, which was placed just a week or so after it was listed. :mad:
    From what I'm reading here, I'm pretty well fucked if I want it at retail pricing.

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I really don't think it's that bad. I feel like you should have known if you'd like the acting by the theatrical cut and seeing as you've seen that then you pretty much knew what you were getting yourself into in that aspect.
    I watched The Hitcher 2 last night; now that's a movie with terrible, forced acting.

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I feel your pain after getting the same email this morning. Totally not fair though that you got screwed despite ordering much earlier than I did. Earlier today, I ended up ordering the 2 disc Director's Cut at Amazon for $18.99 and already have a shipping confirmation.

9. Harrycanyon

Harrycanyon Banned Mofo

Would you like to see a new version made by a director like Guillermo Del Toro? and do you think it can be better than the first adaptation? and have Liam Neeson as the head of the Nightbreed?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

You can still get it from Bullmoose: http://www.bullmoose.com/p/16764807/nightbreed-the-directors-cut-nightbreed-the-directors-cut

Tower Records also shows it in stock: http://www.tower.com/nightbreed-directors-cut-craig-sheffer-blu-ray/wapi/125421279

And Diabolik got more in here.

I'm just glad I received mine from Amazon for the $56 pre-order price on the release day.

11. Harrycanyon

Harrycanyon Banned Mofo

Who thinks this new cut is the best cut of an older horror film this year next to Producer's Cut of Halloween 6?

12. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I wasn't aware that there were other "new" cuts of older horror films this year besides those two...

13. Buechlers_beard

It's definitely a good year! Scream Factory were asked if they msy do the same restoration with the OTHER title Morgan Creek screwed up (Exorcist: Legion), and they didn't give a straight answer. Hopefully this is next on their project list!

14. Harrycanyon

Harrycanyon Banned Mofo

Most agree, we need them to find the original cut of Exorcist: Legion badly and someone should do the same to make a Producer's Cut of The Keep.

Nightbreed DC or NB 3-disc LE (which i own) is probably the best SF title of the year with it's phenomenal extras galore and amazing PQ as if it wasn't for the 80s hair/clothing/music (it was made in 1988/1989 afterall you know) then you'd think this was filmed last year with it's quality restoration that is colorful, detailed on everything even skin/make-up/creatures and all that especially void of DNR. Other quality releases this year are Sleepaway Camp, Vincent Price Collection 2, Halloween Collection, Slumber Party Massacre, Saturn 3, Ginger Snaps, Lake Placid, Squirm etc. but this is my pick of best horror BD of the year with Curtains second then Halloween Collection third. Maybe Dolls will be next.

Does this movie remind anyone of Island of Dr Moreau (book and movies even Island of Lost Souls), Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth and Avatar all rolled into one? i do and David Cronenberg is suprisingly good as Decker as Barker is awesome to be a fan of him. The film is Guillermo Del Toro-esque but before Del Toro came to film and i hear Toro is a fan of Barker as i think him with Barker should do an adaptation of one of Barker's books. And for Avatar comparisons a few made as they got the same story of a man who becomes a creature person and becomes one of the people of a misunderstood tribe as he becomes the messiah to ward off enemies as i can see Boone as Jake Sully while Deckar and the cop as Quatrich. Yet some argue that NB is also the same story as Dances with Wolves, Dune, Lawrence of Arabia, Ferngully, Last of the Mohicans, a Man Called Horse, Last Samurai etc. as it's a very old story that has been in various different ways of messiah leading a brand of people in a war.

And since this is a cult classic, i think it influenced the Hellboy comics as Mike Mignolia is a fan of Barker and Lovecraft and could possibly inspired the animated show Gargoyles with the similar premise of misunderstood monsters who have only one human female friend and yet that woman is in love with the leader monster and there are bad humans (Xanatos and Deckar) who want to destroy them and i can see Shuana Sassi being like Demona and both are hot creature chicks.

Who thought Peloquin was badass? i did and he is one of the coolest monsters ever, he even sounded like Darkness from Legend.

It's a shame Morgan Creek screwed with Barker on this project as it was Barker's personal project you know and they butchered the film but now they found the original footage and not just from VHS tapes called Cabal Cut.

Did anyone else besides me saw this in theaters and had the comics? i did when i was 8 2 times and i still own the comics even dig the new ones as well. I can't wait for that rumored NB TV show coming next year, it might be on AMC or FX or Netflix.

15. Zombie Dude

Just got my limited edition set today, number 7,569. It's kind of annoying to have a number that high when I put my order in at Amazon before Shout increased the pressings to 10,000.

16. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Same thing happened to me. Pissed me off too!

17. Zombie Dude

Shout should have split the first 5,000 half half (half for them, half for other retailers) and then do the same with the extra 5,000. Normally I wouldn't care about this type of thing but seeing as this was meant to be only 5,000 pressings and I had an order in at that time I really expected to have a copy marked under 5,000. Not happy.

I just watched the DC and noticed a few omissions that were in the Cabal cut.

-There's a brief scene with police and Decker outside the house of the family that was murdered which is no longer there.

-Lori and Babbet have a metal connection shown in a few scenes where they can see through each others eyes which is no longer present.

-The whole rednecks and police scenes where they are prepping to attack Midian has been cut down which is a good thing as it was one of the worst bits in the Cabal cut as it slowed everything down and was mostly boring.

-Not 100% sure but I seem to remember Boon and Lori having a bit more time love making in the jail cell.

At the moment these are the main scenes that come to mind whilst I was watching it. They may be included on the bonus disc but I haven't looked through that yet. The transfer is amazing, especially when comparing the new footage to what was used in the Cabal cut. I'm very happy to see and own Clive's Nightbreed as he intended it :)

18. Buechlers_beard

I hoped Decker's mask "talking" to him would be included, as I kinda liked that element in the book. But I see how it could seem hokey on film lol.

Obviously, in the book Lori and Boone have sex in the jail cell. I appreciate this may have been misplaced in the movie, but I guess it wasn't shot anyway...

19. Zombie Dude

I liked the mask talking element in the book too. I can't recall if any of that was in the Cabal cut though.

I definitely think the jail cell scene was steamier in the Cabal cut, I'm not 100% sure though.

20. Buechlers_beard

I haven't seen the Cabal Cut, so I'm not one to preach. But I'm sure one of the reviews commented on the mask talking.

re: the jail cell scene. I would imagine it may have been steamier, but going by what IS in the directors cut, I doubt there was any nudity/full on sex (which is a shame, obviously lol).