NOTLD '90 corrected blu-ray 04/09/16

Discussion in 'General' started by buck135, Feb 11, 2016.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

An employee at Umbrella (an Australian blu-ray company) posted the following about their upcoming Night of the Living Dead '90 blu-ray:

"Hey folks

Since it's out there

1. Master is from Sony and isn't the TT one, so colours are as they were and sound mix isn't their 5.1

2. There's going to be some ****ing great extras on here that we've put together (imho)

3. The illustrated covers (yes, plural) I've put together are probably the ones I'm most proud of so far

Cheers
    Si"

The only question is the region coding. The rest of us can finally discard our Smurf versions.

2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Master is from Sony and not TTs. IIRC, TT said the master they used is what they got from Sony. Hmm, the plot thickens.

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I recall reading that the film was given it's "updated" treatment by Sony for an anniversary (possibly its 20th?) and then shelved. Twilight Time obtained this updated print unbeknownst to them and pressed their 3000 copies. Based on Umbrella's comments, they knew what to ask for (more likely Sony knew what they wanted).

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Interesting, for me the uncut scenes or uncut copy included are the only way I would agree that the extras are fucking amazing.

5. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Yes and original artwork... too

6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv...ht-of-the-living-dead-limited-edition/889426/

You can now pre-order the new transfer in a limited edition (2,000 copies) double feature with the original film. The set is only available from jbhifi.com.au. Exclusive extras are included for each film. See the site's write-up below.

JB Exclusive 2-Disc Blu-Ray Collection Individually Numbered & Limited To 2000 Copies!

Fleeing from the legion of limping undead, a small group of survivors hole-up in a remote farmhouse and prepare for a bloody onslaught. As the marauding zombies surround the house, tensions between the survivors flare up, desperate to do anything to survive the hideous battle that is before them. From the cold, creepy black & white of George A. Romero’s original 1968 zombie classic to the vibrant colour and torn flesh tones of Tom Savini’s skilful 1990 remake, Night of the Living Dead is considered a quintessential horror story, a classic of the genre. Celebrate the birth and rebirth of zombie legend with this special edition ‘drive-in’ double feature of the two versions and compare the carnage and gore to your heart’s delight.

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1990)
    A cunning remake of George A. Romero’s black and white zombie classic Night of the Living Dead is a taut and terrifying return to the macabre scene of mayhem and dismemberment where the recently deceased begin rising from the grave as flesh-hungry zombies. Fleeing from the legion of limping undead, a small group of survivors comprised of Barbara (Patricia Tallman, Army of Darkness), Ben (horror legend Tony Todd, Candyman) and Harry (Tom Towles, Halloween), hole-up in a remote farmhouse and prepare for a bloody onslaught. As the marauding zombies surround the house, tensions between the survivors flare up, desperate to do anything to survive the hideous battle that is before them. Directed with flair and gusto by leading horror exponent Tom Savini (who provided make-up effects for Romero’s original Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead), Night of the Living Dead cuts to the chase and sets the splatter count high – leaving behind a grisly trail of blood and guts, like any good zombie movie should.

Special Features
    Audio Commentary with Tom Savini
    The Dead Walk Featurette
    Behind-The-Scenes Featurette
    Tom Savini Interview (All-New)
    John Vulich & Everrett Burrell Interview (All-New)
    Patricia Tallman Interview (All-New)

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968)
    In this trailblazing horror masterpiece, an army of advancing zombies with a bloodthirsty lust for human flesh force a lone group of human survivors to seek refuge in a farmhouse. Radiation from a fallen satellite has caused the dead to walk, and the only way to kill them is with a blow or gun shot to the head. As the small farmhouse community tries to fend off the onslaught of the dead, the tension builds to an apocalyptic conclusion as a petrol pump and pick-up truck offer the only hope of escape. There have been many imitators, but never anything quite like this! Shot on black and white, and on a miniscule budget, George A Romero's original zombie classic is still terrifying almost fifty years later!

Special Features
    Reflections On The Living Dead - An exclusive documentary on the making of Night of the Living Dead, featuring interviews with Wes Craven, Tobe Hooper and Sam Raimi.
    TV Shot
    Theatrical Trailer

russweiss likes this.
  7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Those are definitely not 'killer' extra's.

8. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Is the Reflections On The Living Dead doc any good? I already have the Happinet Blu of the first film (and the One For The Fire doc on that was pretty great), so the Reflections doc would be my only reason for buying the limited set.

Worth it for the doc alone?

9. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

pass for me. my dvd is good enough..

10. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I'm wondering the same thing. The picture should be the same, right? I believe it's the same source. The documentary has me interested, but I don't know what else I possibly need to know about the film that I haven't already read or viewed over the years. Still, the limited edition aspect is enticing. I guess that's the Twilight Time influence showing.

11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info fattyjoe. This was only $24.00 with shipping to the United States.

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I love it, but I am an enormous fan of the film. It's mostly a roundtable documentary filmed in 1993 (25th anniversary) with Romero, Streiner, Russo and Hardman. Judith O'Dea and Marilyn Eastman are also in it if I remember correctly. The documentary has been included in Umbrella's last NOTLD blu-ray, Anchor Bay's Trilogy of the Dead DVD set and a French blu-ray of NOTLD.

shithead likes this.
  13. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

DVDcompare says that the old Umbrella Blu of Night (which I'm assuming is the same included in the limited set) is from the Optimum transfer. http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=13577

But yeah, I could've sworn I read somewhere that the Aussie and Jap have the same transfer.:confused:

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Yes, they all use the same transfer. Network has the alternate print which isn't as cropped but isn't as pleasing to the eye.

15. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

So it's the original cast, plus interviews with Wes Craven, Sam Raimi and Tobe Hooper? That does sound good. I was thinking it was something more recent.

I hope it's different just for the sake of variety. I really like the Happinet picture, but I do wish it wasn't cropped.

16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I just fired it up. It is just shy of 80 minutes. Definitely filmed for the films 25th anniversary. It's primarily the roundtable discussion with interviews with Craven, Landis, etc interspersed throughout. Like I said it is excellent, but I am a die hard fan.

17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Umbrella, Happinet and Optimum are all the same transfers. We can only hope Scorsese is indeed assisting with a new restoration of the film as rumoured (along with the lost footage).

18. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I was thinking about selling my Twilight Time version but only kept it for the soundtrack. This version doesn't seem to be the best version.

19. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I received confirmation today that the blu-ray has shipped.

20. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

? I though it said June release on that jb site?