October 2011 film viewing plans

Discussion in 'General' started by crikan, Sep 19, 2011.

1. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

October is a wonderful time to be a Horror Digital member. There is significant increase in the amount of horror film impressions/reviews posted during this time. I personally like to watch all the films in a franchise that I have little to no experience with (last year was Psycho). I was thinking about THE AMITYVILLE HORROR for this year but I just didn’t plan well. Then I thought about watching all of the films in The Mario Bava Collection (Volume 2) that I recently purchased. I don’t believe I’ve seen a Mario Bava film before. Do you guys think that is “horror” or "Octobery" enough for October? What are you guys planning for your October viewing?

Mario Bava Collection, The - Volume 2
    - Baron Blood ( Orrori del castello di Norimberga, Gli ) (1972)
    - Lisa and the Devil ( Lisa e il diavolo ) (Original Full Italian Cut) (1972)
    - House of Exorcism, The ( Casa dell'esorcismo, La ) (American Re-edited Cut) (1974)
    - Roy Colt and Winchester Jack ( Roy Colt e Winchester Jack ) (1970)
    - Four Times That Night ( Quante volte... quella notte ) (1972)
    - Bay of Blood, A ( Reazione a catena ) (1971)
    ( Twitch of the Death Nerve )
    - 5 Dolls for an August Moon ( 5 bambole per la luna d'agosto ) (1970)
    - Kidnapped ( Cani Arrabbiati ) ( Rabid Dogs ) (1974)
    (95 Minute Restored "Kidnapped" Version)
    (96 Minute "Rabid Dogs" Version)

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

the bava boxsets are phenomenal, and any time is a good time to check them out. roy colt, four times that night, and kidnapped aren't horror films, but they're all still worth watching.

3. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I've been on a Paul Naschy kick lately. Checking out whatever Wolfman films of his I can get my hands on.

4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

^^When Dave mentioned that only 5 of 8 films in that Bava box are horror, my next though was to go wild with some Paul Naschy. I’ve only seen 3 of his films and it appears I should be able to get my hands on about 6 more by October.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

don't let that dissuade you though! i found watching several bava films one after the other was a great way to experience his work. most of his films have simple themes and stories, and it becomes something like reading an anthology of short fiction. kidnapped may be a thriller, four times a sex comedy, and roy colt a western, but they complement the others very nicely and give a good impression of the directors body of work. And there's more than enough horror to be found in that package, so as a whole it would still fit in with your october viewing.

that being said, Naschy films are great too and have their own (completely different) charm.

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

whoa, I haven't even given it a thought! glad for this thread.

Gonna have to review my netflix queue and prioritize. can't wait for october.

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I've got the usual suspects I (plan to) watch every October: Let's Scare Jessica to Death, The Sentinel, The Exorcist, Messiah of Evil, Halloween (1978).
    I was thinking about watching all Amityville movies as well, and maybe all Hellraiser movies.

8. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Now that I'm back in school this semester, the amount of time I can devote to October watching will be knocked down a few notches this year. I plan on watching a least one film a night and will manage to mix it up with the usual as well as a few new movies I've been meaning to check out.

The Usual
    American Werewolf In London
    Halloween (1978)
    Return Of The Living Dead
    Romero's Dead Trilogy
    Evil Dead
    Psycho
    TCM (1974)
    The Exorcist
    Zombie
    Phantasm
    Wax Works
    Killer Klowns From Outer Space
    Blair Witch Project
    Carrie

The First Timers
    Scream 4
    Red State
    The Last Circus
    Zombie Diaries 2
    Phase 7
    Atrocious
    Cold Fish
    Grace Encounters

9. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Not sure. My husband is not a big fan of horror as I am, and just bought a new Blu-Ray 3D player, along with a 46" LED HD-TV just 2 months ago, so not sure what I will be viewing in October, but it will be numerous Horror, including City Of The Living Dead on Blu-Ray.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I try to watch a movie a day, but usually friends somehow get in the way. (With friends like that, who needs enemies!) Normally I cheat by watching a movie at 10PM and again at 12PM to knock out two days in one sitting. But this year I'm no longer working the late shift and I'm in bed by 10PM, so I don't know how I'll do.

I also cheat by picking up on a series of films or theme and often plan it way ahead. That way I just get home and watch what's on my list for that day. This year I'm going to go with all the Elvira 2010 season stuff that's out on DVD. That will do most of hard to pick for week days and is short enough of episodes to leave the last week for the Universal Classics. Think I'll do a Mummy theme that week. Then I'm going to fill out the other days with as many Blu-ray's as possible.

Normally I don't bore people by posting this, but what the hell, here is my penciled in schedule:

@12M War of the Worlds '53 / Vampira Presents: The 13th Guest
    10/01 Sat Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama / Pit & the Pendulum / Castle Freak / Dark Angel: The Ascent / Meridian
    10/02 Sun Carnival of Souls (Rifftrax V1)
    10/03 Mon Night of the Living Dead (Elvira '10)
    10/04 Tue Terror, The (Elvira '10)
    10/05 Wed Brain That Wouldn't Die (Elvira '10)
    10/06 Thu Satanic Rites of Dracula (Elvira '10)
    10/07 Fri At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul / This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse / Embodiment of Evil
    10/08 Sat Troll 2 (Rifftrax) / Carnival of Souls (Rifftrax V2)
    10/09 Sun The Killer Eye
    10/10 Mon Scared to Death (Elvira '10)
    10/11 Tue Werewolf of Washington (Elvira '10)
    10/12 Wed Eegah (Elvira '10)
    10/13 Thu I Eat Your Skin (Elvira '10)
    10/14 Fri Braindead / Brain Damage / Frankenhooker
    10/15 Sat Blood Feast / Two Thousand Maniacs! / Color Me Blood Red
    10/16 Sun Hausu
    10/17 Mon Jesse James Meets Frankenstein (Elvira '10)
    10/18 Tue Lady Frankenstein (Elvira '10)
    10/19 Wed Manster, The (Elvira '10)
    10/20 Thu Tormented (Elvira '10)
    10/21 Fri Drag Me to Hell / Evil Dead / My Name is Bruce
    10/22 Sat Man Who Could Cheat Death, The / Skull, The / Countess Dracula / Vampire Lovers / Twins of Evil
    10/23 Sun Night of the Werewolf
    10/24 Mon Mummy's Hand, The (1940)
    10/25 Tue Mummy's Tomb, The (1942)
    10/26 Wed Mummy's Ghost, The (1944)
    10/27 Thu Mummy's Curse, The (1944)
    10/28 Fri Mummy, The (1959) / Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955)
    10/29 Sat The Mummy '32 / Black Cat '34 / Doctor X / Mystery of the Wax Museum / Vampire Bat, The
    10/30 Sun Monsters Crash the Pajama Party / Creeping Terror (MST3k) / Bride of the Monster (MST3k) / Plan 9 From Outer Space (Rifftrax) / Manos: The Hands of Fate (MST3k)
    10/31 Mon Dracula '31 / Frankenstein 1910 / Frankenstein '31 / The Bride of Frankenstein

My double feature of War of the Worlds and Vampira Presents starting at 10/01 midnight is my ritual. As is the programing on the 30th/31st. These past few Halloweens were on my days off so I played the MST3k marathon on Halloween while answering the door. Then I settle in for Dracula+ after 7PM or so. This year is a work day so I've broken it all up.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  11. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

I plan on catching up on a bunch of episodes from Boris Karloff's Thriller. I'm also gonna be watching alot of the classic Universal Monsters, including all the Frankensteins.

12. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I've jumped started my horror viewing with a Hammer Dracula marathon, I've watching two movies a night for the last two nights. Yesterday was Horror of Dracula & Brides Of Dracula, Tonight was Dracula Prince Of Darkness & Dracula Has Risen From The Grave.

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i've done similar. although i almost feel bad, because i started too early. i did a hammer dracula marathon last month, or at least all the ones with christopher lee. at the time i didn't have copies of brides of dracula and legend of the 7 golden vampires. i've since remedied that problem, so i should watch both of those some time soon. i've also been rewatching the hammer frankensteins recently, although not as a marathon. so far i've watched curse, revenge, and evil. i'll watch the rest (minus the horror of frankenstein, which i don't have, and can justify by saying that it doesn't really count since it doesn't have cushing) sometime soon, maybe even this weekend.

i've never been able to stick to just straight horror over an entire month. it just stops being fun if i saturate myself with it. so i'll watch what i feel like when i feel like it. of course, it being october, the chances of my feeling like it do increase.

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I usually try to mix it up and do 50% movies I have never seen before and 50% classics. The last few years though I ended up mostly watching newer movies and running out of time for my favourites/ classics. Hopefully this year I can make sure I get my favourites in the mix.

I don't really have a list set up so far but there are a few that I want to watch, most of them ones I picked up on Blu but haven't watched yet.

I wouldn't mind finishing up my Hammer horror movie watching, and if I can find them for a good price I want to check out the Universal horror flicks. As embarrassing as it is, I have only seen Dracula so far. I picked up the Wolfman set so I plan on watching some of those. Want to get the Frankenstein set, Mummy, and Creature from the Black Lagoon as well.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Exorcist
    Troll Hunter
    City of the Living Dead
    Halloween 1, 2 and 3
    Living Dead at Manchester Morgue
    The Prowler
    Deep Red
    Inferno
    Torso
    Two Evil Eyes
    Zombi
    House by the Cemetery
    Suspiria
    Grindhouse

ect.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  15. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I told myself I would try not to watch any horror for a few weeks before October so I wouldn't OD but the new Code Red and Scorpion releases are calling me. Must be strong

16. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

I've pretty much been on a horror/sci-fi/thriller kick for a while now, and it'll probably continue thru October. Basically, I've been buying as much as I can on blu-ray that falls in the horror/sci-fi categories, as well as rewatching all the stuff I've already got. Recently watched The Hills Have Eyes remake on BD, and I'm finally starting to come around on that one (after seeing it a couple of times on DVD). Also watched The Ruins again--man that's some pretty brutal and depressing shit.

Next up, some DVDs I've been meaning to pick up (Nightmare, Final Exam, Burnt Offerings, etc). :evil:

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

jesus, you should read the book. the movie's downright happy-go-lucky compared to the book.

18. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

As a precursor, I wanted to watch a bunch of horror movies I've never seen before. In the last 5 days, I've actually seen 3. So, business is sadly slow. But I aim to pick things up as soon as I'm able.

19. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

On Halloween I usually have an all night party with friends where we'll kick back with drinks and food and watch about four culty horror flicks in a row.Always fun.

As a lead up to the big day this year I will likely head up to at least one of the double bills at the Retrofantasma in Durham,N.C. and maybe take in a cult double bill in Raleigh as well (the Colony theater is showing DEEP RED and PIECES).As always I'll be running some discs too.A concert would be fun,wonder where Alice Cooper is playing ?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  20. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Last year I didn't have cable or internet from Sep through Oct. I went ape shit and watched something like 175 movies. I kept a list. All I did was work and come home and watch movies.