Oscars - Salute to Horror Movies

Discussion in 'General' started by Bluenoser, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

Anyone else watching the Oscars? They did a salute to horror movies with an opening by Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin parodying Paranormal Activity. They also referred to it as the most popular type of film.

Included clips from Jaws, Nightmare on Elm Street, Child's Play, Psycho, Poltergeist, Amityville, The Shining, Scream, Hellraiser, Friday the 13th, Halloween, Leprechaun, The Ring, Rosemary's Baby, Misery, Nosferatu, Frankenstein, Dracula, Young Frankenstein, From Dusk Til Dawn, Beetle Juice, The Birds, NOTLD, Little Shop of Horrors, Interview with the Vampire, Aliens, The Thing, The Exorcist, Carrie, The Blob, Blair Witch, Silence of the Lambs... many others, but that's all I caught.

Nothing special, but kind of cool that they actually acknowledged horror films at the Academy Awards.

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, i agree....nothing special....i dunno what the point was, and im more or less miffed that twilight stars were used to introduce it. it was expected, of course, but annoying none the less.

3. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

Yeah, they even put one or two Twilight clips into the montage... immediately stuck out to me.

4. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

It pissed me off that Twilight stars were used to introduce it and the montage included a clip from the film. Especially when Roger Corman is sitting in the front row.

5. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

That didn't even occur to me. They made a big deal out of honouring Roger Corman earlier in the week but only included one of his movies into the montage. I guess they had to tailor it to the mainstream...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  6. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

I thought Edward Scissorhands was a bit out of place there too.

But Woodstock from The Burning finally won an Oscar, so I'm happy.

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, everything else showcases intense or iconic images from a series of amazing films. and the clip from twilight? two "beautiful" people staring pensively at each other. terrifying!

8. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

i named EVERY movie that was there haha. but yeah Twilight, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Young Frankenstein all felt so out of place.

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, having it introduced by the Twit-lighters immediately took any honor or prestige away from what could have been a sterling salute to horror. It's no surprise that there was zero representation from horror directors outside of the States, but fucking LEPRECHAUN? Was that done just so they could squeeze in a shot of Jennifer Aniston to pander to the 18-34 female demographic? You know they were tailoring to the boys from that age group, at any rate, with the total over-representation of Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream. You get your standard hat tipping to the common movie monsters from the Universal era, a shot of Nicholson and a spoiler reel from Psyco for the sixties, and then a cavalcade of mainstream stuff from the eighties, nineties and aughts to close it off. From that montage you'd forget that the seventies were the golden age of the genre.

I agree in the need to assert the genre as an artistic and important one, but having it introduced by pop tarts and including shots from THE RING and PARANORMAL ACTIVITY ain't the way to go about it...

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

there was a shot of a girl in a pool of sludge with bodies coming out of the ground...what was that? poltergeist? i was too busy trying to rattle off all the names to annoy my wife, that i kinda got tongue-tied and couldn't be sure what i'd seen. i actually thought it was the end of Argento's Phenomena at first, but that couldn't be it....i mean why would they show something like that when there are so many more nerve-shatteringly horrifying scenes from new moon?

11. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Yeah. Pool was Poltergeist.

And I never really felt much over-representation for Friday the 13th. We got Bacon's head grab, a close-up of the knife about to hit Vicki from II, and a short clip of Jason from III.

12. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Loved the montage!

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Never expected to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre 4: The Next Generation on the Academy Awards.

14. Weirdo

Weirdo New Member

Was my sleepy brain just playing games with me, or there really apeared a footage from Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 3 next to original TCM one? Wasn't it kinda odd too?:)

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

What's funny is that they stated horror hasn't been given a nod from the Oscars since The Exorcist, and then they show several clips from Silence of the Lambs which won Best Picture. :rolleyes:

Leprechaun was really the only "what the fuck?" thing in there, and it had more than a few shots. NOTLD only had a single shot that I saw, and while I'm a huge Kubrick fan as well as of The Shining, there was way too much footage from that. Lots of spoilers overall, mostly from Psycho and Rosemary's Baby but others too.

The Corman footage was also of the trashier z-grade variety, not even the best of his AIP directed stuff non-the-less higher end produced/distributed films he's done. Doubt he minds though.

Overall though, I didn't hate this round of Oscars. I think they woke up to how off base they'd come.

16. Franco

Franco Weekender

That horror montage totally took me by surprise, or at least the mix of movies in it! :O

17. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Did icons like Vincent Price,Christopher Lee or Peter Cushing make a cameo in the montage,if so I missed them ?
    Nice thought,the clips could have been better though.
    Never thought I'd live to see LEPRECHAUN unspool at the Academy Awards.

18. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Bless their hearts, at least they tried.

19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

yeah I had no problem with it. The montage was as good as to be expected. At least they acknowledged horror for once.

20. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

The Twilight stars can't even read fucking cue cards, what a fucking joke. I feel for anyone looking up to these tools, and am happy I had real people to look up to myself, because if that is the future, the world will be better off ending in 2 years!

To put in the scene from Twilight at all shows that clues are still sorely lacking. Nice to see something, shame to see what I did.