Pakistan's first ever Zombie Gore Film

Discussion in 'General' started by Evil Dead Guy, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007
  2. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Looks cool.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Look's pretty cool.

4. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I like the TCM-feel in the van. Hey, why not? I'd give this a chance.

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I would check it out. Thankfully they're not running zombies. :)

6. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I'm really digging that music. Is this coming out on DVD, or does it have to go through some huge theatrical cycle in Pakistan first?

7. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

There's an article on this in the latest Rue Morgue magazine-the director said it is highly unlikely that the film will be screened in Pakistan because of the excessive gore and content. This film is being put out by Mondo Macabro who've released some pretty cool obscure foreign films on dvd. I imagine a dvd release will be forthcoming for this very soon, maybe a few months. Just a guess.

8. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I read the new issue and must've completely missed this. Thanks! I'll keep an eye out.

9. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Hey man, page 8 under Dreadlines.

10. Luna

Luna Guest

Yeah, this looks pretty good. I'd see it!

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Just watched this and found it too be highly entertaining, I laughed out loud a lot. It's a little too western influenced I feel though, with it ultimately being a retelling using American horror standards. I was hoping for a little more local flavor.

Still at just under $10 during the DD sale it's a real treat.

12. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I saw this a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't know what it wants to be. Half the time, it tries hard to be Western flick as mentioned, yet, it is shot in Pakistan and has related music and such in the film. There are some funny moments, but insincere in its attempt to be an authentic Pakistani horror.

All the other Mondo Macabro releases are authentic and does not try to overreach to the Western audience as they were made long before dvd. This film is clearly a victim of its (current) time, and it is clear the director shot this in hopes of capturing acceptance from the cool kids (the West). Yet here we are praising French cinema.

Still worth a rental on a night when when you are in the mood for really goofy horror. It is amusing.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  13. AndresG

AndresG Member

wow, I'd really like to check this out, sounds/looks promising!

14. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

So I was at work work with my MP3 player. Over lunch a colleague - a guy from India - asked me what I was listening to. I replied: "Actually it's some traditional Indian music from Ravi Shankar." He asked to have a listen. After less than a minute he then said: "That's not Indian music, THIS is Indian music!" and he pulled his MP3 player out of his pocket. I listened. It was rap. Yes, Indian people were singing and performing, but there was no mistaking the music. "We don't listen to that old stuff anymore!" he exclaimed.

Which basically tells you that these countries have very much been westernized. I don't know what it's like there, but on the news all I ever see of India and Pakistan are dusty mountains and valleys full of peasants, or at best inner-city slums. We actually have some work going on over there at the moment, and in the cites it's very sophisticated. And there's rap.

So maybe this guy was pandering to the West, or maybe he was pandering to young Pakistani men who are more like us than I'd imagined.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

That's what I suspect, as I mentioned in the Tartan thread other cultures are just adopting the Western one as supplanting their own. The director of Hell's Ground talks about how basically there is no film industry in Pakistan, people only watch Hollywood or at best Bollywood movies (which are all derivatives of Hollywood). But for the most part Hell's Ground could have easily been made in America; it's almost entirely a complete rip off of TCM.

Much of Mondo Macabro's output is realistically emulating Western films. There may be local touches here or there but the narrative conventions are all solidly based on Western films. And yes I'd consider French to be Western culture.

16. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Looks fun, but I'm not sure I can make it through this entire flick without saying "strawberry squishee" every 5 minutes". :D

17. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Why just because it is?:rolleyes:

18. Roo

Roo Member

DAMN! They removed the video. sigh. :mad:

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

So you're attacking me because you agree with me? OK...

I'm just commenting on how x666x said we "praise" the French which I assume is their recent horror, and I'm just pointing out it's made by Western citizens and therefore isn't really looking to impress Western citizens the same way as x666x described Hell's Ground as.

20. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Alright, everything is cool. And point taken. I didn't realize he was from around here. All I can say is that I was thinking my earlier written sentiments as I was watching the film. It was my gf who actually spoke it when the film was over before I said anything. So I know I am not alone. I feel there is a weird disconnect in the film, culturally, where it somehow interfered with my enjoyment of it. Let alone the fact that, for me, gore could have saved it and didn't come through either. So there was nothing left except some (possibly unintentional) laughs which still makes it a video rental on a tolerant night. My opinion.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008